TOWN OF SEBAGO
BOARD OF SELECTMEN’S MEETING
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
TOWN OFFICE BUILDING
All Regular Board of Selectmen Meetings ARE held the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of Each Month.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Chairman, Allen Crabtree.
I. Roll Call
Present were: Selectmen; Allen Crabtree, Ann Farley, Maureen Harriman, Jeff Harriman and Interim Town Manager, James Smith. Guests present were: Neal Allen from GPCOG, and Phil Lowe.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the October 21, 2008 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Ann Farley made a motion to approve the October 21, 2008 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Maureen Harriman. Motion carried.
Phil Lowe asked the Board if there was a job description for Planning Board Members. The Board stated that there was not, that the training occurs on the job. It was stated that Mr. Lowe should check the MMA website for more information as there is a Planning Board manual that is available. In addition, Mr. Lowe was informed that MMA does have training sessions that could be attended. There is a Planning Board manual available and Jim Smith stated he would see that one would be made available for Mr.Lowe
V. Old Business
- Town Boundary Lines Between Sebago and Naples
Jeff Harriman made a motion for discussion. It was seconded by Ann Farley. CEO and Interim Town Manager, Jim Smith referred the Board to the notes from 1915. Jim Smith informed the Board that he had spoken with the Naples Town Manager, and that Naples has no intention of re-surveying the Town Lines. Jim also informed the Board that the statute requiring the survey of town lines, no longer existed. In reviewing the sub-division plans, it was in Jim’s opinion, that the lines look ok. It would be the responsibility of the landowner to hire a new survey. There is a question of how close the access road for the sub-division is to the Town Line. The Board stated that they would like Jim to draft a letter to resident and state the Town’s limitations and to schedule a site walk to view the
Maureen Harriman made a motion for discussion. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Allen Crabtree stated that this policy would address the use of Town Property. It was stated that the town currently uses agreements for use of the Town Hall and the portables. This policy will encompass every avenue of Town Property. The Town would have to be careful not to discriminate against any group. There was discussion regarding that during the lease period, the Town may need the use of that property which is being leased. This is an issue which will have to be addressed. Allen Crabtree will bring this issue back at the next meeting.
VI. New Business
- Proposals from GPCOG and MMA for Town Manager Search
Allen Crabtree distributed a proposal from MMA. They were not present to comment. Neal Allen from GPCOG went over their proposal for the Town Manager Search. Neal Allen stated that the company would advertise, process resumes according to criteria set by the Board, check references, and conduct background checks. Neal Allen added that GPCOG would keep the Board informed through electronic meetings.
Allen Crabtree stated that the Board had three options. 1) do the search themselves, 2) hire MMA to do the search for a fee of $4,500, or 3) hire GPCOG to do the search for a fee of $4,750. The Board felt that MMA’s proposal was not as encompassing as GPCOG’s services. The Board that GPCOG would do an effective job in selecting a qualified candidate. Ann Farley made a motion to have GPCOG search for a Town Manager in the sum of $4,750 and have the funds come from the Town Manager’s salary line item. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried. The Board stated that they would like to meet with Department Heads and GPCOG on November 18, 2008 to discuss the challenges facing the town in the near future and what they are looking for in a Town Manager.
- Abatements & Supplements as Submitted by Assessor’s Agent
Maureen Harriman made a motion for discussion. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. The abatements were for Map/Lot. 007-012-B1 and 006-005-B, and the supplement was for Map/Lot 007-012-B1. Maureen Harriman made a motion to accept the abatements and supplements as presented. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
a. Cable TV Programming Notices
Jim Smith stated that the cable company is re-negotiating contracts with local channels and they are required to notify the Town.
b. Assessing discussion
Jim Smith stated that currently our sales to valuation ratio is 82% which is very good. Our current assessment rating is excellent. Based on these figures, Jim felt that a revaluation was not necessary at this time.
Jim informed the Board that he received an email from Representative Sarty concerning the elimination of tree growth reimbursement program. The town could potentially lose revenue, which it would have to make up elsewhere.
- Allen stated that there is an opportunity to apply for grants totaling $50,000. These funds would be used to upgrade the portable (wiring, plumbing, etc) which will be used for a warming hut. There was discussion regarding that final steps for the warming hut have not been taken, such as Planning Board approval, and a lease for the portable. It was stated that the deadline for applying for the grants is nearing, and that in the event plans fall through, the funds could be returned. Ann Farley made a motion to apply for the grants. It was seconded by Maureen Harriman. Motion carried.
- Inquired whether or not the thank you letter was sent to Camp O AT KA for their donation. It was stated that if it had not, it would be done this week.
- Inquired whether an ad for the Planning Board vacancy is still necessary. The Board felt it was until the other vacancy can be filled. Asked whether a Special Election would be a possibility to fill the vacancy. Jim Smith stated that he will speak with Michele and report back at the next meeting.
- Stated that there have been complaints regarding recent brush trimming on the Folly Rd. Complaints related to trimming being done on private vs. public property. Allen requested that residents be notified when such projects will be done per existing Board policy.
- Inquired about the status of the dry hydrants. Jim stated that he has applied for 2 permits by rule. As of yet there has been no action.
- Inquired about having an informal training of the “Freedom of Access” training at the Town Office. Michele will do a power point presentation in the near future.
- Stated that Marie Chattin’s property looks better.
There were none.
- Executive Session pursuant to Title 36 M.R.S.A. § 841 (2) (E) for Poverty Tax Abatements.
Maureen Harriman made a motion to enter into Executive Session at 8:10 p.m. It was seconded by Ann Farley.
Jeff Harriman made a motion to re-convene at 8:50 p.m. It was seconded by Maureen Harriman.
There was no action taken during executive session. The Board did request that Jim Smith contact the General Assistance Administrator for additional information, and bring this issue back at the next meeting.
Maureen Harriman made a motion to adjourn at 8:55 p.m. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas