TOWN OF SEBAGO
BOARD OF SELECTMEN’S MEETING
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
TOWN OFFICE BUILDING
All Regular Board of Selectmen Meetings ARE held the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of Each Month.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Vice Chairperson, Ann Farley.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Maureen Harriman, Jeff Harriman; Interim Town Manager; Jim Smith and Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present were: Abe Parker, Public Works Director; Dan Nowell, Don Olden Sr., Sherrill Brown, and Tom and Donna Cook.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
Jeff Harriman made a motion to hold an Executive Session at the end of the meeting to discuss a poverty abatement. It was seconded by Maureen Harriman. Motion carried.
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the November 11, 2008 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Maureen Harriman made a motion to approve the November 11, 2008 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
Don Olden Sr. stated that some body threw vegetables at the Station 3 doors, and wanted to know when that would be cleaned up. The Board stated that they would get it done.
Don Olden Sr. inquired when the brush dump would be completed. Jim Smith stated that the project has reached the point where an engineering plan must be completed prior to submitting the project to the Planning Board. There were questions regarding whether funding was available to pay for the engineering study. Michele Bukoveckas stated that there was $18,293 in the reserve account. Jeff Harriman made a motion that Jim Smith have Sebago Technics do the engineering study. It was seconded by Maureen Harriman. Motion carried.
Tom Cook a Peabody Pond Road resident inquired if the Town could plow Peabody Pond Road to the bridge. He stated that he felt this was a safety issue. The Town Manager will look into this issue and get back to him.
V. Old Business
- Town Boundary Lines Between Sebago and Naples
(Potential Site Walk)
Jim Smith stated that he had spoken with Naples Town Manager and that Naples has no intention or interest in perambulation of the Town Line. Jim also spoke with Mr. John Palmiter (a surveyor) who took the 1915 courses and his survey came within minutes of 1915 survey. The Board felt that they should meet with the property owner who has an issue with the Town lines and walk the site. The Board will try to schedule the site walk this Saturday.
Ann Farley stated she had made some revisions on the policy, but would like to wait until Selectmen Allen Crabtree is present to discuss this issue, therefore, this item was tabled until next time.
VI. New Business
- Abatements & Supplements as Submitted by Assessor’s Agent
Jeff Harriman made a motion to approve the Abatement for Bal Global Finance, and the Supplements for Map 019, Lot 010-1 as presented by the Assessor’s Agent. It was seconded by Maureen Harriman. Motion carried.
- CIP Requests – Review for Approval
- Records Restoration and Imaging to CD-presented by the Town Clerk. This would preserve town records. The costs for all books would be $12,530. The Board asked if the books could be prioritized and spread out over several years. Jeff Harriman made a motion to approve this project for CIP program. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
- Replacement of 1996 Plow Truck-presented by Public Works. Cost will be anticipated at $145,000. It was stated that this truck should be replaced sooner than planned as many repairs have been done on it. Michele stated that currently there is $64,000 in reserve, plus $25,276 budget this year for a total of $89,676. Jeff Harriman made a motion to approve this project for CIP program. It was seconded by Maureen Harriman. Motion carried.
- Loader Purchase-presented by Public Works. Costs are anticipated at $125,000. There was a discussion of possibly purchasing a used one. It was stated that by purchasing this equipment, the current backhoe would be moved to the Transfer Station where it would be used on a daily basis, and a loader would be used by the Public Works Department to load trucks, push back intersections. The loader can be fitted to hook up brooms for sweeping and would be more road friendly do to visibility. This would extend the life of both the loader and the backhoe. The Public Works Director stated he would like to purchase this in the next fiscal year. Ann Farley made a motion to approve this project for CIP. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
- Purchase a 50 yard trash can-presented by Public Works. Cost is $7,900. The current cans being used are not designed for the 80,000lbs of pressure that the compactor has. The Public Works Director will contact Pine Tree Waste to see if other options exist. Jeff Harriman made a motion to approve this project for CIP. It was seconded by Maureen Harriman. Motion carried.
- Sebago Cemetery Repairs-presented by the Sebago Cemetery Committee. The Board review a request from the committee to do repairs at the Sebago Cemetery. After discussion, it was determined that this request should be for the budget committee and not CIP.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jeff Harriman volunteered to write a letter to the Dollar Store in Windham thanking them for their donations to the Food Pantry. Jeff also asked about the status of the newsletter. It was stated that this has temporary delayed due to other priorities. This will be re-visited in the spring.
Ann Farley-would like the Board to do a job performance evaluation, as requested by Jim Smith, at the next meeting regarding his positions as CEO and Plumbing Inspector. Ann Farley also discussed whether or not the Board would like to meet with the Public Safety Committee prior to budget season. There was discussion that the committee would have to be re-instated. This issue will be re-visited.
Lastly, it was discussed that a building maintenance tour should be done to determine what maintenance needs to be done to up keep the town buildings and perhaps add this to the CIP list. Jim Smith will ask Department Heads to make a list of items that need to be repaired on town buildings.
There were none.
VIII. Executive Session pursuant to Title 36 M.R.S.A. § 841 (2) (E) for Poverty Tax Abatements.
Ann Farley made a motion to enter into Executive Session at 7:45 p.m. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman.
Jeff Harriman made a motion to reconvene at 8:00 p.m. It was seconded by Maureen Harriman. Motion carried. There was no action taken during Executive Session.
Maureen Harriman made a motion to adjourn at 8:15 p.m. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas