TOWN OF SEBAGO
BOARD OF SELECTMEN’S MEETING
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
TOWN OFFICE BUILDING
All Regular Board of Selectmen Meetings ARE held the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of Each Month.
Call to Order
I. Roll Call
Present were: Selectmen Allen Crabtree, Ann Farley, Jeff Harriman, Edythe Harndon, Mose Russo, III, James Smith, III, Town Manager and Lin Petersen Greene, Recording Secretary.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
Add discussion of the new State Laws to New Business.
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the June 6, 2006 Annual Town Meeting Minutes
Accepted as Written.
- Approval of the June 16, 2009, Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Accepted as Written
IV. Comments from the Public
Jim Libby notified the Selectmen that a Sebago resident had questioned the presence of a new employee in the Clerk’s Office. Don Olden added that he had also been questioned regarding the new employee. Jim Libby advised that wages were frozen for office employees and questioned where were funds for her salary coming from. Jim also asked if her hire was authorized by the Budget Committee or the Selectmen, or if the position was advertised.
Jim Smith, Town Manager responded that she was hired for a special project, scanning property cards, and that her employment would last 4 to 5 weeks at a cost of approximately $1,000. Funds will be allocated from the Assessor’s reserve account.
(Town Policy on Application and Recruitment does not require advertising an open position. The Town Manager has the responsibility to seek the most qualified individual for the position.)
Don Olden asked when limbs would be picked up from the Folly Road and Peaked Mountain Road. Also asked when action will be taken on the “dump” on Kimball Corner Road. The Town Manager replied that it would be taken care of.
Don Olden stated that grading is needed on Peaked Mountain Road to roadsides.
V. Old Business
A. Proposed Site for the Public Safety Building
After lengthy discussion, the Board unanimously voted to apply for a Grant to replace Fire Station #2 at the town lot there based on the preliminary design.
B. Follow-up questions and answers from Town Meeting
- CIP – Questions regarding if CIP is established by statute or law. Suggested that a policy is needed for placing and funding of CIP items and that an ordinance be drafted and public input requested. This will be looked into and recommendations brought back at a future meeting.
- Charter – Sebago has been incorporated for 37 years without a charter. Should a Charter Commission be established to determine if a charter is needed? This will be looked into and recommendations brought back at a future meeting.
- Street Lights – Town needs to limit the number of street lights. Property owners affected by the removal of street lights will be asked if they wish to pay for the light or have it removed. Cost to remove a street light is $150. Town Manager will bring back to the Board his recommendations for streetlights to be removed/turned over to homeowners.
VI. New Business
- Shoreland Zoning Ordinance Discussion – Under the direction of the DEP. There was discussion of options open to the town. Planning Board to review current ordinance to avoid possible legal action.
- Goal Setting Workshops – Meeting of July 21, 2009 – review current goals. “How did we get here and where do we want to go?” Meeting of August 18, 2009 – Goal setting and review the change in office hours.
- Abatement as Recommended by Assessor’s Agent – Jeff Harriman made a motion to approve the Abatement. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Approved.
- Signing of a Quit Claim Deed - After correction to the document, will be signed by Selectmen
- Newsletter – Discussion regarding the cost difference between color and black and white printing. Selectmen decided to go with the black and white option.
- Town Hall Rental Waiver Request – Ann Farley made a motion to approve the request. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Approved
- New State Laws – Several new laws passed this session were discussed including LD-385 (Sex Offender)
- Credit Cards – Discussion, should the Town accept Credit Cards?
- Board of Appeals – Dave McCarthy has expressed an interest in joining the Board. Discussion ensued, and it was decided to have the Town Manager see if there are any others interested before appointing David to the Board.
- Household Hazardous Waste – Set-up fee is $1,575. The current year’s budget allows for $11,000.
- Brush Dump – Sebago Technics will attend the next Planning Board meeting to discuss the Brush Dump. There is a possible issue with an endangered species making its home at the dump.
- Community Development Block Grant – approved and signed for the Warming Hut/Food Pantry.
- Bonding – Employees must be bonded.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
B. Selectmen - None
C. Committees - None
VIII. Adjournment at 8:40 PM
Lin Petersen Greene