TOWN OF SEBAGO
BOARD OF SELECTMEN’S WORKSHOP
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
TOWN OFFICE BUILDING
All Regular Board of Selectmen Meetings ARE held the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of Each Month.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:02pm by Chairman, Allen Crabtree.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Allen Crabtree, Ann Farley, Jeff Harriman, Mose Russo, Town Manager; Jim Smith and Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas. Selectperson Edythe Harnden was absent. Guests present were: George and Betty Tinkham, Jim Libby, Phil Lowe, Tom Sciacca, and Public Works Director; Dan Nowell.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
There were none.
III. Written Communication
A. Approval of the August 18, Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Ann Farley noted that on Page 3, 7-A the word should be conversation, not conservation. There being no further changes, Ann Farley made a motion to approve the minutes as amended. It was seconded by Mose Russo. Motion carried.
B. Approval of Prioritized Goals
Allen Crabtree suggested adding Maureen Scanlon to the Street Light Policy, and Tom Sciacca to the Road Plan Team. The Board concurred. Allen stated that he would like these items listed on the agenda when updates are available. There being no further discussion, Jeff Harriman made a motion to approve the prioritized goals. It was seconded by Mose Russo. Motion carried.
IV. Comments from the Public
There were none.
V. Old Business
A. Lion’s Club Lease of Old Town Garage
A draft was presented for review. The Lion’s Club will be meeting this week and will review the draft. This issue will be re-visited at the next Board Meeting.
B. Board of Selectmen’s Meeting Time Discussion
After a brief discussion, the Board decided to keep the 6:00pm meeting time.
C. Peabody Pond Porta-Potty Funding
Jim Smith suggested that the Town go out to bid for all the potties in town. Jim Libby stated that he re-called a discussion with the Peabody Pond Association when they approached the Planning Board for the boat wash station, stating that the Association would assume all responsibilities and costs. It was recommended to research this and bring this issue back at the next meeting.
D. Food Pantry Funding Discussion
There was some confusion concerning the $5,000 approved at Town Meeting and whether it was for renovations and moving of the portable or for food purchases. Article 25. From the Annual Town Meeting, read “To see if the Town wishes to spend $5,000 from the UFB for the renovation of the portable and move the food pantry to its new location”. Discussion followed that perhaps a budget line could be added to the budget in the future for food purchases. Jim Libby updated the Board that the portable had been moved and that a pre-bid meeting would occur on Sept. 2, 2009 for renovations to the portable.
VI. New Business
A. Appointment of Health Officer
Ann Farley made a motion to appoint Helen Twombly as Health Officer for a period of 3 years. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
B. Signing of Cumberland County Tax Warrant
Jeff Harriman made a motion to sign the warrant and pay the Cumberland County Tax in the amount of $232,860. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
A. Town Manager
Jim Smith updated the Board on the following:
· A meeting was held with Rep. Ralph Sarty to discuss the State turning over collector roads back to the towns. These roads include Long Hill Rd, a portion of Route 107, and Convene Rd. It was stated that should this occur, it would have a substantial impact on the Town’s budget. Rep. Sarty suggested that the Town take action against this measure, and perhaps even adopt a resolution. This issue will be discussed with the Public Works Director and will report back at the next meeting.
· Speeding concerns on Route 114. Jim Smith stated that Richard Merritt is planning on approaching residents for pledges to help purchase a radar sign, perhaps the Town can help with a matching fund. In the interim, Jim will call the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office and the State Police to alert them of this issue. Jim will also check with vendors to see what the best price would be for the town to buy a small portable unit. Jim will report his findings at the next meeting.
· Street Lights. Jim stated that he met with Suzanne from CMP to go over what determines where street lights are needed (crosswalks, intersections, bus stops). Once a list is complied of which lights will be discontinued, a letter will be sent to the abutting residents to see if they wish to take over the costs. Jim stated that he will be meeting with Suzanne again, and will bring recommendations back at the next meeting. Allen Crabtree suggested perhaps a Street Light Policy should be developed.
· Beach Enforcement. Jim stated that having patrols at the Town Beach seems to working well.
· Long Beach. Jim stated that he has been approached by a resident who might be interested in selling/giving a 25 x100 lot to the Town. Jim will keep the Board informed.
· Rockcraft. Rockcraft Lodge is for sale. Jim stated that he has been approached by a potential buyer who would be interested in a TIF (Tax Increment Financing). Jim stated that there are requirements in order to grant a TIF. Jim will research this issue with the Assessor’s Agent.
· Grader. Jim stated that he and Public Works Director, Dan Nowell are looking into purchasing a grader. This would enable the Town crew to do our own grading of roads as well as winging back snow banks, and eliminate the use of a contractor for this purpose. Jim will report his findings at the next Board meeting.
· Safe Harbor Rd. Jim stated he would like the Board to review the 2006 minutes in their packets regarding this issue. He has been approached by residents which are affected by this issue. This issue will be discussed at a future meeting after Jim is finished meeting with the concerned residents.
· MMA Convention. Jim stated that he would like to close the office for one day to allow staff the time to attend training at the convention. The Board expressed their interest in attending the convention as well.
· Town Office Roof Bid. Jim stated that the roof bid was awarded to “Board With It” (Mark Thorne) in the amount of $14,875.
· Excise Tax Referendum. Allen asked the Board if they wished to take a position on this issue, as it will have an affect on the budget if passed. He stated that he can prepare a Resolution (model after Bangor’s) for the next meeting. Allen also stated that MMA will be hosting a meeting in Naples on Sept. 10th from 6:00pm to 8:30pm. He encouraged all to attend.
· Stipend Disbursement. Allen inquired why the stipends would be disbursed monthly as opposed to when requested. It was stated it was for book-keeping purposes.
· Sex Offender Ordinance. Ann stated that the new State language is going in effect on September 12, 2009. Our Town ordinance will have to be amended to reflect the new language. Jim will check with MMA for the changes, and report back at the next meeting.
· Public Easement. Mose Russo stated that he was told that Anderson Rd was a public road, not an easement road. This issue will have to be researched by the Road Committee, as there is a lot of confusion.
Ann Farley made a motion to adjourn at 8:06 pm. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas