TOWN OF SEBAGO
BOARD OF SELECTMEN’S MEETING
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
TOWN OFFICE BUILDING
All Regular Board of Selectmen Meetings ARE held the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of Each Month.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:04 pm by Chairman, Allen Crabtree.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Allen Crabtree, Ann Farley, Mose Russo, Town Manager; Jim Smith and Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas. Selectperson; Edythe Harnden joined the meeting at 6:50 pm. Guest, Jim Libby was present.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
Allen Crabtree added Tree Lighting Discussion to New Business.
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the November 3, 2009 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Ann Farley made a few corrections, and made a motion to approve the minutes as amended. It was seconded by Mose Russo. Motion carried.
Jim Libby stated that a 7 foot Fraser Fir had been planted at the Veteran’s Park. He suggested that it not be used in the tree lighting ceremony this year, as it is very tender. Jim Libby also stated that he will be installing a power supply near the tree. Jim informed the Board, that the Lion’s Club and local churches will be providing a Christmas Party at the Town Hall for seniors. The party will be held on December 13, 2009 at 2:00 pm.
V. Old Business
- Sexual Offender Ordinance Update
The Board decided to hold a Referendum on this Ordinance on May 25, 2010, with a public hearing on April 27, 2010. An addition will be made to the definitions to clarify a legal term and the draft ordinance will be brought back to the Board for final review at their next meeting.
- Street Light Ordinance Update
A few corrections were made to the proposed ordinance. The Board decided to hold a Referendum on this Ordinance on May 25, 2010, with a public hearing on April 27, 2010.
- Fuel Storage & Tracking System
Jim Smith stated that he had spoken with David Shea regarding the Town using his facility for fuel. Jim stated that David would be willing to be on call. There was discussion concerning the cost of his fuel and additional taxes. Michele stated that the taxes for gasoline but not for diesel fuel are reimbursable through the state. There was also discussion regarding installing a generator hookup for emergency power at Shea’s. Jim will research this issue further, and bring it back at the next meeting.
Jim Smith described the proposed redesign of the site to use the entry off Long Hill Road instead of a connecting road from the transfer station – he has been in contact with Sebago Technics about redrawing the site plan. He also stated that D.E.P would require an attendant at the disposal site if the design were changed. Jim also stated that Charlie Frechette will be dredging the Northwest River and would be willing to donate the gravel to the Town. The gravel would be stored at the Town Pit until the site is approved.
Allen Crabtree made a motion to have the Town Manager execute the necessary documents for the EECB grant. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
Allen Crabtree stated it is time to apply for CDBG grants again – intent to apply letters are due in December and grant applications in January for funds to be awarded next year. Allen presented the Board with 3 grants worksheets which are:
- $10,000 planning grant with no matching funds. This grant would be for planning to evaluate options available should Sebago Elementary close. Monies would be used for an engineering evaluation and a community outreach to develop options for future use should the town elect to accept the building back from SAD61.
- $8,500 with $1,700 in matching funds. This grant would be for making the Town Office more ADA compliant with an electric door opener, and modifications to the service counter.
- $25,000 with $5,000 in matching funds. This would enable the town to winterize at least 6 homes in Sebago for the elderly and to develop a program for additional homes to be winterized in the future.
Ann Farley made a motion to have Allen Crabtree to proceed on the application process. It was seconded by Mose Russo. Motion carried.
- Disbursement Warrant for Employee Wages, School and State Warrants
Town Clerk, Michele Bukoveckas explained that the purpose of this document is to allow the disbursement of payroll, school warrants, and State checks (Motor Vehicle, I.F.W., RV, and Dogs) with only one Board member signing the warrant. All other checks would have to wait until a majority of Board members had signed (3). There being no further discussion, Mose Russo made a motion to approve the Disbursement Warrant as presented. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
The Board decided to hold a Referendum on this Ordinance on May 25, 2010, with a public hearing on April 27, 2010.
- Dangerous Building Assessment/Collection Discussion
This discussion evolved as a result of the Town assessing a “special tax” on a building in town that burned and the Town cleaned it up. Jim Smith will consult with the Town Attorneys for our collection options and report his findings to the Board at a later meeting.
The Board stated that they would like to use the tree at the school this year, seeing as the new tree has not matured. Maureen Harriman has volunteered to coordinate the tree lighting and Santa’s visit this year.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported on the following:
- A new location has been determined for the dry hydrant in North Sebago. This location would enable the fire trucks to back up safely and resolve potential delays by having to get US Army Corps of Engineers approval for in-stream work. Jim will meet with the property owner this week.
- Insurance rates will be going up in January. Health will increase by 8% and dental will increase by 4%.
- Letters for the first C.I.P. will be going out shortly. Jim stated that he would like to meet on Wednesday nights. Once the schedule is established, Jim will notify the Board.
- Has asked that a survey of Shore Road be done.
Allen Crabtree stated the following:
- H1N1 Vaccination clinics for Day Care centers have been scheduled in Raymond/Casco, South Portland, and Windham. This will occur the week of December 7th.
- Reminded everyone that the required NIMS training will be Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 6:30pm, at the Town Office.
- Reminded the Board to contact Michele if they are interested in attending the Elected Officials Workshop in Saco, which be held on December 3, 2009.
Ann Farley made a motion to go into Executive Session at 7:41pm. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
VIII. Executive Session pursuant to Title 36 M.R.S.A. § 841 (2) (E) for Poverty Tax Abatement, and Executive Session pursuant to M.R.S.A. Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a Personnel Matter
Returned to regular session at 9:06 pm. No action taken during Executive Session.
Edythe Harnden made a motion to refer the poverty tax abatement to the General Assistance Administrator for appropriate action, and to refer back to the Board of Selectmen if appropriate at some future time. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
Mose Russo made a motion to have the Town Manager’s Performance Appraisal for November 3, 2009 added to his personnel file. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
Ann Farley made a motion to adjourn at 9:07 pm. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas