TOWN OF SEBAGO
BOARD OF SELECTMEN’S MEETING
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
TOWN OFFICE BUILDING
All Regular Board of Selectmen Meetings ARE held the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of Each Month.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:05 pm by Chairman, Allen Crabtree.
I. Roll Call
Present were: Selectmen; Allen Crabtree, Ann Farley, Jeff Harriman, Mose Russo III, Edythe Harnden joined the meeting at 6:35 pm., Town Manager; Jim Smith, and Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present were: Jim Libby and Trish McAllister.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the November 20, 2009 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Ann Farley made a motion to approve the November 20, 2009 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Mose Russo. Motion carried with Jeff Harriman abstaining.
Jim Libby asked if there were any Holiday Funds to make a contribution to the Food Pantry for Christmas. He stated that several families had been assisted for Thanksgiving and he anticipates the need to be greater for Christmas. Mose Russo made a motion to issue $125.00 from the Holiday Funds account to the Warming Hut to be used by the Food Pantry. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried. Jeff Harriman will also contact the school to see if they have any families which might need assistance.
Jim Libby also commented that the Clothes Closet is set up at the Warming Hut. Jim Libby stated that the Warming Hut would like to participate in a “Coats for Kids” Campaign.
Trish McAllister (former Sebago Code Enforcement Officer) addressed the Board. Trish stated that she is now an attorney specializing in Enforcement issues such as 80K cases, zoning violations, junkyards and shoreland zoning. She informed the Board that she could do the preliminary hearing included filing the case with the court for a flat fee of $500.00. This fee would be reimbursable when the Town wins the case. The Board asked Town Manager, Jim Smith to meet with Trish to discuss details. Jim will also check with our current attorneys to insure there is no conflict with utilizing Trish’s services.
V. Old Business
- Fuel Storage & Tracking System
Jim Smith stated that the Public Works Department will be labeling all Town owned buildings for identification when making fuel deliveries. Jim also stated that the taxes paid on the fuel purchased at Shea’s would be reimbursable through the State. Jim suggested that a diesel tank still be used at the Public Works Department for use during snow storms. The Board asked Jim to have the following at the next meeting:
- a cost analysis and fuel agreement with Shea’s
- prices for a generator hook-up at Shea’s,
- start up date
- Dangerous Building Assessment/Collection Discussion
The Board stated no action needed.
- Sexual Offender Ordinance Discussion
Allen Crabtree stated that the new language is underlined, and the old has strikeouts. A definition of coextensive has been added. The Board decided they would like to have this go to public hearing on April 27, 2010 with the others.
- Appointment members to C.I.P. Committee
Allen Crabtree stated that the C.I.P. Committee is made up from: 1 Selectman, 1 Planning Board Member, 1 Budget Committee Member, the Town Manager, and 3 citizens at large. Appointments are for a 3 year term. The Town Manager will check with a few individuals and bring this back for discussion at the next meeting.
- Shoreland Zoning Ordinance Discussion
Ann Farley made a motion to send this to a public hearing on April 27, 2010. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Jim Smith will ensure that everything regarding this ordinance is in place prior to the hearing.
- C.I.P Project Discussions
- Clerk’s Office- Michele presented the Board with a proposal for a fire-proof vault. She stressed the importance of good shelving. The shelves proposed would be a side to side model that puts two or three rows of storage. Carriages move left or right to access carriages in the back row. The unit would cost approximately $16,675. Cost to convert the kitchen area into a vault was estimated at approximately $7,500, bringing the project to $24, 175. Jim was asked to get a better cost estimate and bring this back at the next meeting. The Board also asked that Jim speak with his department heads to see if they have any projects/items they would like on the C.I.P. list and bring these items to the next meeting.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim reported on the following:
- Potential charges for intercept fees with Naples. Jim will speak with the Naples Town Manager.
- Jim will check on labor rates for ambulance drivers when they are on call versus when they are driving.
Allen Crabtree reported on the following:
- Fire/Rescue party at Lauris Champagne’s house on Dec. 12. Please RSVP Lauris if interested in going.
- Lion’s Club Christmas Party for Seniors will be on Dec. 13 at 2 pm.
- Reminded the Board of the Elected Officials Workshop in Saco, on December 3rd beginning at 4:30 pm.
Ann Farley stated that a dry hydrant will be installed in North
Sebago on December 2nd.
Jeff Harriman stated that David Crawford at the Transfer Station stated that a new pad is needed under the container. David also stated that the rafters in the roof that covers the container need to be repaired. Jeff suggested that these items be included in the budget for next year.
Jim Libby inquired what constitutes a quorum on a 5 member board with 2 alternates. The Board of Selectmen stated 3 members would be a quorum. Jim Smith stated that he was aware of vacancies on the Board, and that Charles Archer is interested in serving. Ann Farley made a motion to appoint Charles Archer to the Planning Board. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
Jeff Harriman made a motion to adjourn at 8:07 pm. It was seconded by Mose Russo. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas