TOWN OF SEBAGO
BOARD OF SELECTMEN’S MEETING
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
TOWN OFFICE BUILDING
All Regular Board of Selectmen Meetings ARE held the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of Each Month.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:25 pm by Chairman, Allen Crabtree.
I. Roll Call
Present were: Selectmen: Allen Crabtree; Ann Farley; Jeff Harriman; Mose Russo III; Edythe Harnden arrived at 6:25 pm. Guests present were: Rescue Chief; Lauris Champagne, and Abe Parker.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
Allen Crabtree added NIMS Resolution to New Business.
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the January 5, 2010 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Ann Farley made a motion to approve the January 5, 2010 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
There were none.
V. Old Business
- Discussion of Naples Dispatch Charges
Naples is requesting payment on 11 bills for mutual aid. Lauris stated that she will be researching the validity of these bills. She also informed the Board that a letter was received from Naples changing the mutual aid agreement which Jim will be addressing. The Board stated that a resolution to this issue is timely, as we are in the budget season and need to budget funds accordingly.
Jim stated that the DEP has approved a temporary open top container for the collection of brush and leaves. It was suggested that a good location would be the northern edge of the transfer station. This location would not interfere with all the springs in the area. Operational target date of May 1, 2010 has been set. Information regarding the brush dump will be placed in the next newsletter and website. Allen Crabtree will draft a letter for placement in the Bridgton News.
- Discuss Date for next Goal and Grant Workshop
A goal setting meeting is scheduled for March 16, 2010 at 7:00 pm. A list will be sent to Board members prior to the meeting.
- Annual Report Discussion (Dedication, Cover Page)
A fall foliage picture was chosen as the cover, with a winter scene for the back page. Ann Farley made a motion to dedicate this years report to George Tinkham. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried. Other pictures were voted on for inclusion to the report.
- Use of Town Hall and Town Offices for Census Training
Allen Crabtree made a motion to approve the use of the Town Hall and to waive the rental fee for Census Training. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
Allen explained that the Board originally passed this resolution in 2007, but since we have new Board members we needed to sign another resolution. Ann Farley made a motion to approve and sign the resolution. It was seconded by Mose Russo. Motion carried. The Board was asked to stop by the Town Office to sign the resolution.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim reported on the following:
- Lakes Region Community Greenprint-a project designed to guide future regional development. Jim stated that all but one community in the Lakes Region have agreed to this project. The Board authorized the Town Manager to execute the necessary documents and to issue a check in the amount of $1,433 from the Land Acquisition Fund.
- Neal Allen would like to meet with the Board to discuss GPCOG regional comprehensive planning proposal for the Lakes Region. The Board asked Jim to schedule this for the March meeting.
- A meeting with Gordon Billington and representatives from the Standish Fire Department will be scheduled in the near future to discuss how the towns can work together in mutual aid, including possibly sharing a piece of fire apparatus and/or a new fire station. Jim will inform the Board of the date and time.
- A spreadsheet showing changes in State Education Funding was passed out. It appears that RSU (SAD) 61 will receive $921,086 less this year.
Allen Crabtree commented on the following:
- A recent court challenge to the new language in the Sexual Offender language regarding “registrations” is underway. The Board would like Jim to have the Town Attorney review what this could mean for our proposed ordinance.
- A line item in the Fire Department budget this year should be added for the purpose of dry hydrants. Those funds would then be moved to the General Ledger where they would carry over.
- A regional “table talk for wildfires” will be held on February 6, with an exercise in April. The Town Manager was asked to contact the Fire Department to have someone represent Sebago at this regional meeting in Cornish.
Mose Russo commented on the following:
- Attended a Public Utilities Commission class in damage prevention. As a result of this class, Mose stated that Towns are required to report all underground utilities owned by the town to the PUC.
Ann Farley made a motion to adjourn at 7:28pm. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas