TOWN OF SEBAGO
BOARD OF SELECTMEN’S MEETING
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
TOWN OFFICE BUILDING
All Regular Board of Selectmen Meetings ARE held the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of Each Month.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:02 pm by Vice Chair, Ann Farley.
I. Roll Call
Present were: Selectmen; Ann Farley, Jeff Harriman, Mose Russo III, Edythe Harnden joined the meeting at 7:15 pm, Town Manager; James Smith, and Recorder; Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present were: Public Works Director; Dan Nowell and Abe Parker.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
There were none.
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the April 06, 2010 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Jeff Harriman made a motion to approve the April 6, 2010 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Mose Russo III. Motion carried.
Ann Farley thanked Abe Parker for the work he did on the vandalized cemetery. Abe commented that Emma Shute had concerns about a new construction that was occurring near the Northwest River. Emma’s concerns were that her flowage rights would be compromised. Code Enforcement Officer Bob DeVilleneuve and Town Manager Jim Smith stated that they had visited the site and everything is fine.
- Transfer Station/Hazardous Waste Fees
Public Works Director, Dan Nowell disturbed proposed changes for items at the transfer station. These changes include:
- Microwaves $5.00
- The addition of Freezers $5.00 (no fee increase)
Console Televisions $20.00
Tires (off the rim) $3.00
Jeff Harriman made a motion to approve the addition of the items listed above. It was seconded by Mose Russo III. Motion carried.
Dan also distributed a list of charges from Clean Harbor which the Town incurred for Hazardous Waste. The prices are listed in bulk and would have to be proportionately adjusted for the individual user. Dan was asked to have a “user fee system” for Hazardous Waste for the next Board meeting to offset the $1,500 listed as revenue for the budget year 2010/2011.
- Appointment of Chairman of the Board of Selectmen
Due to the resignation of Allen Crabtree, Edythe Harnden made a motion to appoint Ann Farley as Chairman of the Board of Selectmen. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried. Edythe Harnden made a motion to appoint Jeff Harriman as Vice Chairman. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried. New officers will be voted on at the first meeting after Town Meeting.
- Signing of May 25, 2010 Town Election/Referendum Warrant
Mose Russo III made a motion to sign the May 25, 2010 Town Election/Referendum Warrant. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
- Signing of May 25, 2010 M.S.A.D. # 61 Budget Validation Warrant
Jeff Harriman made a motion to sign the May 25, 2010 M.S.A.D. # 61 Budget Validation Warrant. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried. The Board stated they would like Richard Merritt to come to the next meeting to update the Board on the school budget regarding the changes in our assessment figures.
- Signing of June 5, 2010 Annual Town Meeting Warrant
Town Clerk, Michele Bukoveckas researched the guidelines concerning the Adelphia Grant. It was determined that using the funds to promote Sebago via television was a valid use of the grant. Jeff Harriman made a motion to sign the June 5, 2010 Annual Town Meeting Warrant removing the Article for Lakes Region Television and to make a $500 contribution to Lake Region Television from the grant. It was seconded by Mose Russo III. Motion carried.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith commented on the following:
- A survey had been done surrounding the Folly Rd. bridge. The survey has been accepted by the abutters. The town attorney will draw up deeds for the Board and abutters to sign.
- The Safe Harbor Road dock issue will need to be addressed. Jim suggested that the dock committee meet and make recommendations. Jim will try to have an update by the next meeting.
- Radar sign. Jim will have prices for the next meeting.
- Fire/Rescue Chief. Jim stated that currently the Fire and Rescue Chief are currently elected by their members (by the by-laws). Jim was curious as to the hiring and firing ability of the Town Manager in regards to elected Department Heads. This will be researched and brought back at the next meeting.
- A site walk with Loon Echo Land for Public Trust was done of the Browns Pond area. The State is interested in acquiring a parcel of land that currently abuts a piece that they own near Browns Pond. The Trust is not looking for any monetary support for this project, but would like a letter of support for acquiring the property.
Ann Farley stated that she had received an email concerning the Greenprint project. They are having a meeting on April 28 at Crooked River. The meeting will be from 6-8pm, and they are looking for a representative from the Town to attend the meeting. Ann stated that she would attend this meeting.
Edythe Harnden asked if the concerns regarding the citizen’s email had been addressed. Jim Smith stated that he had addressed the citizen’s concerns.
Edythe Harnden made a motion to adjourn at 7:30 pm. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas