TOWN OF SEBAGO
BOARD OF SELECTMEN’S MEETING
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
TOWN OFFICE BUILDING
All Regular Board of Selectmen Meetings ARE held the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of Each Month.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 pm by Chairman, Ann Farley
I. Roll Call
Present were: Selectmen Ann Farley, Jeff Harriman, Edythe Harndon, Allen Crabtree, Abraham Parker, James Smith, III, Town Manager and Recorder; Lin Petersen Greene. Guests present were: Phil Lowe, Mike Borsetti, Don and Donna Gruden, Paul Crissen, Jeanne Boland, Evie Haley, Elaine Calarese (Lemire), Rigina Lemire, Joanne Kellett, Ellen and Gene Rowe, Norma and Richard Boulanger. Property and Casualty Representatives Marcus Ballou, Maine Municipal Association and Phil Allen, Chalmers Insurance.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
Add presentations by Property and Casualty Representatives.
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the June 8, 2010 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Accepted as written with one amendment; add Jerry Holt to Town Meeting panel.
IV. Comments from the Public
- Town Beach – Mike Borsetti reported that the Town Beach is in disrepair; portable toilets are upside down, trash is not being picked up. The Public bathroom has been closed as a result of garbage being put into the toilets that no contract service will service. Mike suggested a fee for usage and for the town to put in moorings to be rented to Sebago Homeowners and Renters.
V. Old Business
A. Follow-up questions and answers from Town Meeting
> Ann Farley asked if anyone remembered who brought up the issue of charging for use of the Town Beach. Abe Parker is against charging for beach use. The Town Beach should be provided for Townspeople at no charge.
>At town meeting, the question was asked, “What is included in the administration line items”. Ask Michele to listen to tape again and try to identify the speaker.
>Table to next meeting.
B. Northwest Shores Association - The Northwest Shores Association includes of 14 back lots within a subdivision. Each of the lots own 1/14 interest in the sandbar. The area encompasses South Beach Street, Cross Street and NorthWest River Road (Public Easement Roads). A question was asked if the sandbar should have a map & lot number. Mike O’Donnel, Assessor, reports that the sandbar is considered common area as in a condominium association. The Association is concerned about possible liability if the public is allowed to use this Private Beach. Signs that have been posted in the past have always “disappeared”. It was suggested that signs be reposted. Research the verbiage in the original deeds for clarification.
VI. New Business
- Property and Casualty Insurance Presentations – Marcus Ballou of the Maine Municipal Association and Phil Allen of Chalmers Insurance each made a presentation for the Town of Sebago Property and Casualty Insurance. Town Manager, Jim Smith, advised a decision must be made by July 1, 2010. Some additional information will be provided the representatives. A decision will be made at the next meeting of the Board on June 22, 2010.
- General Assistance – Selectman, Edythe Harndon, stated that she would be willing to become the General Assistance contact for the town. A review of the current PROP involvement as well as researching other company’s that handle General Assistance was suggested. Jeff Harriman expressed a concern about confidentiality.
- Board of Selectmen, Chair – Allen Crabtree suggested adding Order 10-01. The order would establish guidelines for the Designation of the Chair based on the seniority of the Selectman. This issue will be decided at the first Board meeting in July.
- Anderson Cove Dock – Mike Borsetti discussed several continuing issues regarding the Anderson Cove Dock. The Town attorney will be asked to review the “Laws of the Subdivision”. Bob DeVilleneuve suggested the Town use the expertise of a “Land Specialist” attorney.
- Goals – Ann Farley suggested a date be set for goal setting. The 2nd meeting in July was set for this item. Allen Crabtree recommended A and B lists, with items on the A list being the most urgent.
- Planning Board – Appointment of Paul White and Mr. Perry to the Planning Board. Allen Crabtree moved to accept, Jeff Harriman 2nd. Ann Farley moved to reappoint Richard Merritt to the Planning Board, Allen Crabtree 2nd. Motion approved.
- GPCOG – Letter indicating that Sebago is participating in the Sebago Lakes initiative. The Board had previously denied this request. Review minutes of Selectmen meeting and the Planning Board meeting for clarification. A letter will be drafted and sent to all of the towns involved to set the record straight, Sebago will not be participating.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
- Town Manager – Jim and Michelle met with the auditors last Tuesday. Discussion and explanation of budget items helped clarify encumbering funds. Allen Crabtree moved to encumber funds as discussed; $3000 Cemetery Repair; $5000 Storage Building at the Transfer Station; $5000 Radar Detector. Jeff Harriman 2nd. Motion approved.
- Phil Lowe suggested that the Planning Board should review Codes on an annual basis.
- Grants – Allen Crabtree announced three approved Grants. Handicapped Accessibility, $4000; Elementary School Planning, $10000; Weatherization, $25000.
D. Committees – A committee will be formed for repair and upkeep of Douglas Mountain. Abe Parker will chair.
VIII. Adjournment at 9:10 PM
Lin Petersen Greene