TOWN OF SEBAGO
BOARD OF SELECTMEN’S MEETING
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
TOWN OFFICE BUILDING
All Regular Board of Selectmen Meetings ARE held the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of Each Month.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Chairman, Ann Farley at 6:03 pm.
I. Roll Call
Present were: Selectmen; Ann Farley, Allen Crabtree, Jeff Harriman, Edythe Harnden, Abe Parker, Town Manager; Jim Smith and Town Clerk, Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present were: Public Works Director; Dan Nowell, Ted Greene, Helen Rogers, Diana Letellier, Joan Morford, Paul Anderson, Steve Girardin, Lori Clow and Jim Libby.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
It was stated that Mr. Drummond would be taken out of order when he arrives. A discussion on Lake Region Television will also be added to new business.
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the July 22, 2010 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Allen Crabtree made a motion to approve the minutes with corrections. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
Ted Greene asked the Board to check with MMA Legal to see if it is appropriate to make appointments during a workshop as opposed to a regular board meeting. The Board stated they would look into it.
- Douglas Mountain Committee Report
Abe Parker stated that he had contacted several individuals that were interested on being on the committee. Several of these individuals live near the mountain and are aware of the issues. Two main issues that were discussed – one the necessity of parking attendants. The attendants not only collect fees for parking, but are helpful on informing visitors about the trails. The other issue discussed was the need to replace the donation box as quickly as possible. Diana Letellier and Helen Rogers will meet with Jim in the morning to discuss these issues. Abe Parker as head of the Douglas Mountain Committee set a workshop for August 10, 2010 at 6:00pm. Allen Crabtree stated that it will be important for the committee to draft their monetary needs before the budget season arrives.
- Implement Road Plan-completion date set for 10/30/10
- Energy Efficient Maintenance Plan-completion date set for 3/1/11
- Ordinance Review-Michele will prepare a list of current ordinances for the September 21st meeting. The Board will then decide which ordinance they will review first.
- Fire Hydrant Plan-Dan should have a plan developed by December 31, 2010.
Additionally, the Board prioritized the following goals for this year.
- Priority 1-Site, Fund Fire and Rescue Building
The Board would like to have a “package” to deliver at the Annual Town Meeting in June 2011. Allen, Ann and Jim lead this project.
- Priority 2-Investigate Law Enforcement for Sebago
Edythe is leading this project and should have a report for the Board by December 1, 2010.
- Priority 3-Revise Town Fees
Jim to lead, with a plan by the June Town Meeting.
- Priority 4-Develop a Support System for Sebago’s Elderly
Allen stated that Sebago was awarded a grant for assisting in the winterization of senior citizens homes. In addition, this goal will investigate recreational activities and clinics for our citizens. This will be on ongoing event until October 2011.
- Priority 5-Develop a Harbor Master Ordinance
The Board stated that with all the events occurring in Sebago this summer (docks, moorings and ROW issues), this ordinance will take precedence. The Board would like to have this ordinance ready for the June 2011 Town Meeting.
- Lake Region Television Appropriation
During budget season, it was discussed to appropriate funds from the Adelphia Grant to Lake Region Television. The grant was researched and there did not appear to be any stipulation on the disbursement of funds. With that said, Jeff Harriman made a motion to appropriate $500 from the Adelphia Grant to Lake Region Television. It was seconded by Allen Crabtree. Motion carried.
- Shore Road Discussion-Mr. Drummond
Mr. Drummond was not present for this discussion. Shore Road is a public easement road and was voted on as such at a Town Meeting. Discontinuing the road, would require a town vote. Mr. Drummond was going to speak to the Board about closing his portion of Shore Rd. Paul Anderson was aware of this issue tonight and spoke against closing the road. Paul stated that this is a safety concern. Public Works Director, Dan Nowell stated that Maine Municipal stated that all roads, public and public easements must be kept to a safe standard. Mr. Drummond has expressed no intention in maintaining his road. This issue will be researched and discussed again in the future.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim reported the following:
- The Town will be receiving $51,360 from the Urban Rural Initiative Program. These funds are for the maintenance and plowing of the connector roads in Sebago.
- There are two (2) houses on Pickering St. that are in the road ROW. A no-action letter will be sent to the homeowners, stating that the Town will not require them to move the houses, and that the town holds no liability.
- During the budget process, the mowing contract was omitted. These funds will have to be found elsewhere in the budget, or the Board will have to hold a Special Town Meeting to have the funds allocated from the Undesignated Fund Balance.
- Repairs are needed for the ambulance, as someone filled the rescue with gasoline instead of diesel. The estimate to repair the vehicle is about $4,000.
- Stated that he received a call from Aaron Shapiro stating that he was impressed with the work done on the Warming Hut.
- During a meeting with the Town Attorney concerning upcoming dock issues, the Town Attorney suggested that the Board rescind the order requiring annual dock permits until the policy can be reviewed. Ann Farley made a motion to rescind the order that requires annual permits until the policy can be reviewed. It was seconded by Allen Crabtree. Motion carried.
Ann Farley stated the following:
- Inquired when the radar sign will arrive. Jim stated that he needs to sign a purchase order from the company before the sign will be delivered.
- Appeals Board Hearing on a dock issue will be August 4th at 7:00pm.
- Warming Hut open house will be held on August 7, 2010 at 3:30pm.
Allen Crabtree reported on the following:
- Fire and Rescue radios have been updated with the new frequencies. Some of the Public Works radios were not compatible, and will have to be replaced. In addition, the radio repeater on Douglas Mountain will need to be worked on as well. Funds will have to be found in the budget, or a Special Town Meeting will have to be held.
Edythe Harnden reported on the following:
- Will report in October on upcoming General Assistance training.
- Feels that the Town should honor Lauris Champagne with a plaque for her years of service to the Town. The plaque will be given at Town Meeting in June 2011.
- Inquired into what options the Town is looking into for beach violators.
The Board discussed what they want to do with regards to beach parking violators. Jim Smith stated that he feels that the tow truck should be paid when they are called, even if the violator has left. He stated he would speak with a towing company in Windham, and set up an arrangement. In addition, the Board stated that even though, there are only three (3) weeks of summer left, a Beach Attendant should be hired to monitor the beach. This person would be in charge of contacting the towing company, if need be. Allen Crabtree made a motion to have the Town Manager hire a Beach Attendant and begin towing cars parked which do not have the town sticker. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
Allen Crabtree made a motion to adjourn at 8:05pm. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas