TOWN OF SEBAGO
BOARD OF SELECTMEN’S MEETING
Tuesday, October 5, 2010
TOWN OFFICE BUILDING
All Regular Board of Selectmen Meetings ARE held the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of Each Month.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Chair, Ann Farley at 6:03 pm.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Allen Crabtree, Edythe Harnden, Abe Parker, Town Manager; Jim Smith and Town Clerk, Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present were: Don and Marilynn Loring
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
New Business-C. Appointment to the Planning Board
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the September 21, 2010 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Allen Crabtree made motion to approve the September 21, 2010 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Abe Parker. Motion carried.
There were none.
- Nomination of Voting Delegates for the MMA Convention
Allen Crabtree made a motion to appoint Jim Smith as the voting delegate for the MMA Convention. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
- Appointment to Steering Committee for the Greenprint Project
Allen Crabtree made a motion to appoint Jerry Holt to the Steering Committee for the Greenprint Project. It was seconded by Abe Parker. Motion carried.
- Abatements and Supplements as recommended by Assessor’s Agent.
Michele explained that the abatement was due to a house being assessed to the wrong property. A supplemental is being done to correct this issue. The other supplemental is for a personal property tax. Ann Farley made a motion to approve the abatement for tax map 016, lot 27-A, and supplemental for tax map 016, lot 27 and personal property tax for USA Mobility. It was seconded by Allen Crabtree. Motion carried with Abe Parker opposing.
- Planning Board Appointment
Michele explained that Donna Cook had mentioned that she was interested in joining the Planning Board. Edythe Harnden made a motion to appoint Donna Cook to the Planning Board. It was seconded by Abe Parker. Motion carried.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
- Town Manager-Jim Smith reported on the following:
- We have been asked to post a notice from Sappi stating that they will be lowering the lake to 261 ft. It is possible they will raise to 262ft in December depending on weather conditions.
- The LIHEAP program will be facing reduced funding this year. This may impact the General Assistance Program.
- Reminded the Board that in January of 2009, it was voted by the Board to continue plowing past the 1st pole to the turn around on Tiger Hill at the cook property.
- A representative from Prop had spoken with Jim about a grant for the Sebago Lakes Region that could be used for:
- Douglas Mountain Trail System
- Increase Physical Activity
- Community Gardens and Farmer’s Markets
Jim stated that he will check with her to see if she would be available to come to a future meeting to discuss this exciting endeavor.
- Corrine had applied for a grant to acquire snowshoeing equipment for a recreation program.
- Station 3 has a mold problem which is being addressed. The mold has to be tested before it can be removed.
- Stated that the policy on No Dogs at Douglas Mountain should be reviewed, as most people enjoy having their pets with them. This policy addresses dogs on town property and will be reviewed by the Selectmen in their review of the Douglas Mountain/Town Beach/Parking ordinances in two weeks.
- Stated that recently, funds were spent to remove a virus off a computer. Jim asked the computer company for a policy that might address the dos and don’ts of using the Town’s computers. Michele and Jim will fine tune the policy, and distribute it to the Board.
Allen Crabtree commented on the following:
- Inquired on the schedule for the construction of the new universal waste storage shed at the Transfer Station. Jim replied that they intend on having it complete by the end of October.
- Asked Jim, Edythe and Abe to check their calendars and return with a convenient date to meet with Aaron Shapiro on the CDBD grants.
- Stated that the old style guardrail on Dyke Mountain needs to be replaced. If no funds are currently available, this will have to be a budget item. It was also suggested to place reflectors on the guardrail.
- Questioned whether or not the Beach, Parking and Douglas Mountain “ordinances” were policies and not ordinances. Michele will look into this matter for the workshop to be held after the next Board of Selectmen’s Meeting.
Edythe Harnden asked when will loam be delivered to Haley Cemetery. Jim responded it would be done this week.
Abe Parker had no comments.
Ann Farley commented on the following:
- Due to the various committees, Ann suggested that only one Board of Selectmen meeting be held in November. In the event something comes up, a second meeting will be scheduled. There was agreement by the Board.
- The Tuesday morning meetings with the Town Manager will commence at 9am instead of 8am. Due to the MMA Convention, no meeting will be held on Oct. 12th.
a. Fire/Rescue Task Force
Allen Crabtree stated that things are progressing nicely and that the next meeting is scheduled for October 17th. Allen will confirm and send out reminders.
b. Harbor Master
Allen Crabtree stated that the next meeting is Oct. 6th at 6:00pm. State Representative Ralph Sarty will be present to introduce State Law regarding moorings.
c. Town Fee Review
Ann Farley stated that the committee will meet again next week. Jim was asked to attend the next meeting. Ann stated that this should be the last meeting, and she will be ready to make recommendations to the Board.
Edythe Harnden made a motion to adjourn at 7:14pm. It was seconded by Abe Parker. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas