TOWN OF SEBAGO
BOARD OF SELECTMEN’S MEETING
Tuesday, December 7, 2010
TOWN OFFICE BUILDING
All Regular Board of Selectmen Meetings ARE held the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of Each Month.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:05pm by Chairman, Ann Farley.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Allen Crabtree, Edythe Harnden, Town Manager; Jim Smith, and Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
Addition of H. Recognition of a Donation to VI. New Business
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the November 16, 2010 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Ann Farley made a motion to approve the November 16, 2010 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Allen Crabtree. Motion carried.
Item VIII was taken out of order. Ann Farley made a motion to enter into Executive Session pursuant to Title 36 M.R.S.A. § 841 (2) (E) for Poverty Tax Abatement at 6:07pm. It was seconded by Allen Crabtree.
Allen Crabtree made a motion to return to regular session at 6:10pm. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
Allen Crabtree made a motion to refer the individual to General Assistance. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported that a site walk of the Shaw Pit would occur at 9:00am on Wednesday, December 8, 2010. Jim also reported that Bruce Hart will complete an appraisal so a reasonable offer may be made.
Due to illness, Town Manager, Jim Smith excused himself from the rest of the meeting.
There were none.
The Board reviewed the ordinance and the proposed changes from the prior ordinance. It was stated that the Board would have to repeal the old ordinance after a public hearing and replace it with this one. The Board instructed the Town Clerk to forward copies of the old and new ordinances to the Town Attorney for review prior to the public hearing.
- Town Beach Parking Ordinance
The Board reviewed the ordinance and the proposed changes from the prior ordinance. A sentence was included referencing milfoil checks. Unlike the Parking Ordinance, this one will require a Town Vote. The Board instructed the Town Clerk to forward copies of the old and new ordinances to the Town Attorney for review prior to the public hearing and the Town voting on this ordinance. Ann Farley and Edythe Harnden will review the ordinances and forward their comments to Allen Crabtree within the next several days.
- Appoint Planning Board Member
The Board stated that they would like this individual to meet with the Planning Board first, and then have the Planning Board make a recommendation to the Board of Selectmen for the appointment. Allen Crabtree made a motion to refer this to the Planning Board and to appoint after the recommendation from the Planning Board. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
The Board discussed several individuals they would like to dedicate the Annual Report to. It was suggested that an article should be placed in the newsletter asking townspeople to nominate “A Citizen of the Year” to dedicate the Annual Report to.
The Board stated they would like to recognize Abraham Parker and Lawrence Shaw in the Annual Report.
- Town Fees Schedule Revisions
Ann Farley distributed the proposed fee changes. She explained that the committee had reviewed area towns to see what fees were being charged. The most significant changes were to Appeals Board and Sub-Division fees. The Board felt that these increases were required to help defer the costs associated with Appeals Board and Sub-Division applications. The Board would like to schedule a Public Hearing in January before adopting the fees. The Board requested that copies of the proposed fees and notice of hearing be sent to all contractors in Town. Ann Farley made a motion to accept the proposed fees and to have a public hearing in January. It was seconded by Allen Crabtree. Motion carried.
Allen Crabtree stated that this is for another $25,000 weatherization grant. Ann Farley made a motion to submit the grant application. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
- Weatherization Program Policy
The Board would like Code Enforcement Officer; Bob DeVilleneuve to review the Appendices to see which ones would apply to Sebago and return his findings to the Board at a later date.
- Annual Audit Appointment Discussion
Allen Crabtree made a motion to appoint Berry, Fowles & Co of Falmouth, ME as the Town’s Auditor for Fiscal Years 10-11 and 11-12. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
- Abatement Denial as Recommended by Assessor’s Agent
Town Clerk/Tax Collector Michele Bukoveckas explained that the Assessor’s had denied the abatement request because the applicant failed to demonstrate that the property had been overvalued. Ann Farley made a motion to deny the abatement as recommended by the Assessor’s Agent. It was seconded by Allen Crabtree. Motion carried.
- Recognition of a Donation
Allen Crabtree made a motion to accept a storm door to be used in the weatherization program in the memory of Abraham Parker. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried. The donation will be used as an “in kind” donation.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
This item was previously taken up.
Allen Crabtree reported the following:
- Fire/Rescue Task Force Committee will be meeting with Standish on December 15th to discuss vehicle proposals.
- Harbor Master Ordinance Committee will be meeting on December 13th. The committee is hopeful to have an ordinance to be voted on at the Annual Town Meeting.
- CIP Manual-Allen stated that the manual had been reviewed. The following comments were made:
- Language regarding that funds can not be transferred from one line to another without voter approval was added.
- The current vehicle replacement schedule will remain.
- The CIP Committee may recommend replacement dates for vehicles or implementation dates of projects be extended with BOS approval.
Ann Farley made a motion to approve the CIP handbook with the revisions. It was seconded by Allen Crabtree. Motion carried.
Edythe Harnden reported the following:
- The Weatherization Program is progressing nicely.
- Workfare-Edythe stated that she has not had the opportunity to use workfare as of yet. She mentioned that if workfare is used, the individuals have to be supervised closely. The general consensus was to place discussion of workfare on hold for now.
- Executive Session pursuant to Title 36 M.R.S.A. § 841 (2) (E) for Poverty Tax Abatement
Previously covered above.
Allen Crabtree made a motion to adjourn at 7:24pm. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas