Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:03pm by Chairman, Ann Farley.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Jeff Harriman, Edythe Harnden, Dana Batchelder, Town Manager; Jim Smith and Town Clerk, Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present were: Jim Libby, Gene and Ellen Rowe.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
Ann Farley added VI. New Business-D. Discussion of Draft Letter to Kathy Beecher Regarding Sebago Elementary.
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the April 5, 2011 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Jeff Harriman made a motion to approve the April 5, 2011 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Dana Batchelder. Motion carried.
Jim Libby reported the following:
- Summer clothes have replaced winter clothes at the Clothes Closet.
- Food Pantry is now open 5pm-7pm the 4th Tuesday of the month (in addition to the 9am-11am hours)
- The Good Shepherd Food Bank is offering cooking classes on Thursdays from 3pm-5pm. This will continue for 5 more weeks. There are a few slots still open.
- Budget/Warrant Discussion
The Board reviewed the Town Warrant, and decided that they would sign it at the May 3, 2011 Board Meeting when all are present.
- Safe Harbor Town Right of Way Discussion
Ann Farley presented language for the sign at Safe Harbor. The Board agreed that the Tow Beach sign should be changed to read: No Glass and Carry in and carry out trash (same as Safe Harbor). A trash can will be placed at the site to help reinforce this issue. Jeff Harriman made a motion to approve the language with the additions stated above. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried. Jim Smith will see that the signs are ordered this week and erected as soon as possible.
- Town Beach Boat Inspection/Boat Wash Discussion
This item was inadvertently omitted.
- Signing of the May 24, 2011 Town Election Warrant
Dana Batchelder made a motion to sign the May 24, 2011 Town Election Warrant. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
- Signing of the M.S.A.D. # 61 Warrant for the Budget Vote
Jeff Harriman made a motion to sign the May 24, 2011 M.S.A.D. # 61 Referendum Warrant and Notice of Election. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
Jim Libby stated that the USDA is willing to provide nutritious meals to qualifying students. The meals are provided by the Preble Street Initiative Program. Bon Appétit would box up the lunches and transport them to Sebago for distribution. All that is needed is a location and volunteers to help out. The Board suggested that the Town Park near the school would be a good location. Jim Smith will help Jim Libby contact Andy Madora at the School Department regarding using the school on rainy days. A second option would be to allow the program to use the Town Gym on rainy days. Dana Batchelder made a motion to allow the use of the Town Gym as a back-up. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
- Discussion of Draft Letter to Kathy Beecher Regarding Sebago Elementary
It was suggested that the following be added to the letter:
- Costs of utilities and maintenance excluding labor
- Breakdown of major repairs in excess of $5,000
- List any system upgrades
Ann will ask Allen to make these revisions to the letter.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported the following:
- A judgment has been reached on the David Niles Shoreland Zoning Tree Violation. The defendant will have to pay $2,000 in attorney fees (this will return to the legal account, and $2,500 in civil penalties (this will be placed in revenues under ordinance fines)
- Spoke with Randy McMullen at the DEP concerning our brush dump. Randy stated that if we have open top containers and transport the items to Rolfe in Bridgton, this would not be an extensive change to our current plan. All we would have to do is update our site plan, and update our operation manual as a minor revision. It was suggested that Rick Dyer would be another location that we could transport to. The disposal locations will be listed in the manual. It was also stated that the brush dump should be open in the next several weeks.
Jeff Harriman commented on the following:
- Should look into investing some of the Town’s funds in higher interest bearing accounts, while still keeping them safe. Michele Bukoveckas stated that funds are invested in a money market account.
- The security light at the Historical Society appears to be on all the time. Perhaps the settings should be checked. Jim Smith will address this issue.
Ann Farley commented on the following:
- Add the SES Draft Letter to the next agenda.
- Add the MSAD # 61 Budget Vote ad to the next agenda
- Reminded the Board about upcoming meeting dates:
- Pre bid meeting for SES on Wednesday,
April 20, 2011 at 1pm.
- Fire/Rescue Task Force on April 25, 2011
- Next Board meeting on May 3, 2011 at 6pm
Edythe Harnden commented on the following:
- Inquired about the replacement of a gas water heater in a weatherization recipient’s home. Jim Smith stated that it had been replaced by an electric water heater.
- Inquired about the status of the training records for Fire and Rescue. It was stated that attempts have been made to accomplish this task to no avail. Jim will speak with the Fire and Rescue Chief concerning this issue, and there will be an Executive Session at the 2nd meeting in May to address this issue.
Dana Batchelder commented on the following:
- Inquired why Fire/Rescue purchased regular light bulbs instead of CFLs. Jim will look into this issue.
Edythe Harnden made a motion to adjourn at 7:36pm. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas
Note: These minutes are not verbatim. A recording of the proceedings are available in the Clerk’s office during regular office hours.