Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 pm by Chairman, Ann Farley.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Allen Crabtree, Edythe Harnden, Jeff Harriman, Dana Batchelder; Town Manager; James Smith III, Town Clerk and Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas. Guest present was Rescue Chief, Tim Smith.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
There was none.
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the September 20, 2011 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Edythe Harnden stated her name need to be corrected under roll call. Ann Farley requested that under goals Priority 6, it should state mooring committee members
had not been appointed. Ann also stated that under goals Priority 5 she and Jeff Harriman would continue work on reviewing ordinances and policies. There being no further corrections, Allen Crabtree made a motion to approve the minutes as amended. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
There were none.
- Personnel Policy Discussion
Allen Crabtree made a motion that under Article XXXII-Sick Leave the following should be stated “Accumulated sick leave shall be paid to the employee in good standing at the time of employment separation at their current hourly rate of pay. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried. There was much discussion regarding the vacation portion of the policy, so the Personnel Policy Committee will meet again on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 at 1 pm for more discussion. A definition of “in good standing” also needs to be developed. Town Clerk, Michele Bukoveckas asked the Board to consider a policy regarding mandating direct deposit for paychecks. She stated that employees and the mail system lose paychecks, or the checks get accidently destroyed. This requires
a “stop payment” and “re-issuance” of paychecks which costs the town additional fees. In addition, a courier would not be needed if paychecks were direct deposit.
- Town Owned Property Policy Discussion
The Board inquired what policies currently existed regarding Town Property. Michele Bukoveckas stated that there was a policy regarding using the Town Hall, and a policy regarding using/leasing Town Property. It was stated that a policy should be developed regarding damage done to Town Property. Michele will send copies of the two (2) above polices to the Board to see if it addresses their concerns. A general policy should be developed over the next several months regarding the usable use of town owned property.
- EMS Job Description Discussion
Ann Farley stated that Rescue Chief, Tim Smith had done a good job on the job descriptions. Ann asked Tim if he had addressed equipment checks, and OSHA training requirements in the job descriptions. Tim stated that these concerns were addressed. There being no further discussion, Allen Crabtree made a motion to approve the job descriptions. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
Ann Farley asked Tim Smith if he had made any progress on a Collections Policy. Tim stated that he had copies from other towns that he is reviewing as a model for Sebago.
- Fire/Rescue Scope of Work Bid
The following is synopsis of the discussion:
- Some residents are just now coming forward asking about the project, where are we going and what are we doing?
- Can the current facilities be used?
- Do we need a facility to house both Fire and Rescue?
- Can we expand on the current Rescue Building?
- Should we do a traffic study to see if the current Rescue Building is feasible?
- What would a road upgrade cost?
- What will the building cost, and how will we fund it?
- Allen Crabtree stated that it is important to educate the public and get their input before the request for funding is made. Allen suggests that two (2) Public Hearings be scheduled, one on October 25, 2011, and the other on December 8, 2011 both starting at 7 pm. Allen stated that if all goes well with a good representation at the hearings, then the committee will go out for construction bids and consider scheduling a Special Town Meeting in February. Allen will draft the ads for the Public Hearings which will be posted in the paper.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported the following:
- Transfer Station wages were over last year and will be again this year as coverage for David’s vacations was not budgeted for. This will have to be addressed in next year’s budget.
- Will be attending a Maine Roads and Easement seminar on October 21, 2011.
- Water issues with the house across the street have been resolved. The resident will use their own well, and the Town will pay to have a plumber hook the system up. It was suggested that a letter of agreement be drafted between the property owner and the town.
- The road committee should have discussions regarding using gravel from the Pike pit as the Town can purchase the gravel at a good rate.
Dana Batchelder addressed the following items:
- Wants the Town Manager to look into the agreement with Rolfe for yard waste and debris disposal fees. This was supposed to be free, and we have been charged.
- Asked if we are getting a better deal for the sale of TVs. It was stated that yes, the Town is getting more money.
- Felt that the Tuesday morning meetings two (2) Board Members and the Town Manager were wrong. Even if no decisions are being made, someone could come to the conclusion that there might be. All decisions are suppose to be done in a public forum. Ann Farley stated that the meetings were a “catch up” of the week’s happenings, and to go over the agenda for the upcoming meetings. No decisions are made at these meetings.
- Felt that the Town Manager should not be running errands. The Town Manager also gets paid mileage. Dana felt that the manager’s time could be best spent in the office working on the duties that were assigned to him.
Jeff Harriman stated the following:
- Would like the road committee to consider working with neighboring towns when we are planning our paving projects. By doing so, resources could be combined which might result in savings for both towns.
Ann Farley reported the following:
- Fire/Rescue Building to go before the Planning Board on Tuesday, October 11, 2011 at 7 pm.
- Douglas Mountain Committee to meet on Tuesday, October 11, 2011 at 6 pm.
- School Board Members, Sherri Miller and Richard Miller will address the Board during a workshop on November 1, 2011 at 7 pm. This will be following the regular Board meeting.
Allen Crabtree reported the following:
- Mentioned that there was an article about Transfer Station Stores in the Mountain Ear paper. He stated that one persons junk, could be another’s treasure, and this might provide additional revenue for the Town as well. Allen will provide a copy of the article for the Board.
- The Shelter Committee came up with suggested guidelines for operating the shelter. Once the committee has finalized these, the guidelines will be presented to the Town Manager and Department Heads.
- It is planned to provide CPR/ First Aid courses and a shelter management course to shelter workers this winter.
Edythe Harnden reported the following:
- Received two bids to repair a clients ceiling, one from Bill Nason in the amount of $1,550 (includes labor and materials), and one from Eric Brickman in the amount of $955 for labor, an estimate was not given for materials. The Board recommended that the award be given to Bill Nason.
Allen Crabtree made a motion to adjourn at 8 pm. It was seconded by Dana Batchelder. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas
Note: These minutes are not verbatim. A recording of these proceedings is available in the Clerk’s Office during regular office hours.