Public Hearing on 2012 General Assistance Maximum Levels of Assistance
The Public Hearing was called to order at 6:04 pm by Chairman, Ann Farley. Ann explained that every year the State updates the maximum levels of assistance that General Assistance can grant. She went over some of the numbers. There was no public discussion; therefore the hearing was closed at 6:07 pm.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Chairman, Ann Farley at 6:07 pm.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Allen Crabtree, Edythe Harnden, Jeff Harriman, Dana Batchelder, Town Manager; Jim Smith, Recorder and Town Clerk; Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present were: Jerry Holt, Jim Libby, Rescue Chief; Tim Smith, Carrie Walia from Loon Echo Trust, M.S.A.D. # 61 School Board Chairman, Jody Gray, and M.S.A.D. # 61 Interim Superintendent, Dr. Kathy Beecher.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
There were none.
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the October 4, 2011 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Dana Batchelder requested a correction to his comments under Selectmen reports. There being no other corrections, Allen Crabtree made a motion to approve the minutes as amended. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
Jim Libby stated that a Good Shepherd Food Mobile unit is coming to the Sebago Warming Hut on Monday, October 24, 2011 from 10 am to noon. This will be a free food distribution. ~There are no residency requirements. ~Food is free to lower income households, seniors, disabled, out of work (or work reduced) households, etc. This is all funded by a grant.
Dr. Beecher and Ms.Gray stated that they were under the impression that School Board members Richard Merritt and Sherri Miller would be present to address the Board. Dr. Beecher stated that she had some rebuttals to recent emails which had been circulating. Dr. Beecher was informed that Richard and Sherri will be attending a workshop with the Board on November 1, 2011 at 7:00 pm. Dr. Beecher also presented the Board members with invitations to a meeting with the School Board on November 21, 2011 at 7:00 pm.
Rescue Chief, Tim Smith informed the Board that the Rescue Station has passed their State Inspection. The inspection is done annually and it ensures that the rescue is fully stocked and ready for action.
- Carrie Walia-Greenprint Presentation
Carrie stated that the Greenprint project is geared to protecting the resources in the Lakes Region. The project wants to work with communities in the planning, developing and protection of our open lands. Loon Echo Trust will help towns establish and promote conservation and may even offer methods of financing to obtain open lands. The Greenprint Project will be having an implementation meeting on November 30, 2011. The Board suggested that Carrie make a presentation to the Planning Board. Ann will contact Phil Lowe to bring this to the attention of the Planning Board.
- Adopt the 2012 General Assistance Maximum Levels of Assistance
Edythe Harnden made a motion to adopt the 2012 General Assistance Maximum Levels of Assistance. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried. General Assistance Administrator. Edythe Harnden stated that the Department of Human Services will be here on Thursday to audit our program for compliance.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported on the following:
- Has been researching tire disposal with BDS. This could be a savings to the Town.
- Has placed an ad for grading services in the Shopping Guide
- Has conducted 1 interview for the CEO position. He has 3 more to go
Edythe Harnden reported/stated the following:
- Jim’s mileage reimbursement should be split between CEO mileage and Town Manager mileage
- Eric Brickman will be fixing the ceiling, not Bill Nason as previously stated. It was determined that Mr. Brickman’s bid was lower after further study. Mr. Nason will however, be repairing a roof for another client.
Allen Crabtree reported/stated the following:
- October 28th will be Fire Prevention Day at Sebago Elementary School.
- The Planning Board gave conditional approval on the site plan review for the Fire/Rescue building pending the approval of the DEP permits.
- A Public Hearing on the Fire/Rescue Building will be held on October 25, 2011 at 7:00 pm.
- RFPs for architect designs should use current designs (from Jeff Flemming) as a guide. Allen Crabtree made a motion to have RFPs go out for architectural designs. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
- Allen Crabtree made a motion to go out to bid for site work on the Fire/Rescue building. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
- Requested that the Town Manager go out to bid for the extended plowing needed on the Folly Rd ( from the red house up to the bridge)
- Reminded the Board about the joint Board meeting with M.S.A.D. # 61 School Board Meeting which will occur on November 21th at Lake Region Middle School. The meeting will start at 7 pm.
- Perhaps the idea of having road maintenance as a CIP item in the new budget cycle.
Ann Farley reported/stated the following:
- MMA will have an Elected Officials Workshop in South Portland on December 1st. If you are interested in attending, let Michele know, and she will sign you up.
- Commented on the Tuesday morning meetings. She stated that these meetings are to “catch up” on what the Town Manager has been doing, and what has been going on in Town. She stated that they also go over the agenda for the upcoming Board meeting. Ann reiterated that no decisions are made at these meetings and invited all Selectmen to take turns in these informative meetings.
Jeff Harriman reported/stated the following:
- Douglas Mountain Committee had met to discuss what needs to be done (trail maintenance; fix the map at the top of the tower as well as the fence. The insurance company has stated that the fence is a liability issue. Jeff also stated that a Douglas Mountain Workday will be held on November 6, 2011.
Dana Batchelder reported/stated the following:
- Extended his apology to Jim for his demeanor during the road committee meeting the week before.
- Suggested that the road committee meetings be held at the Town Garage.
- Suggested that non glare vandalism resistant plexiglass be used on the map at the top of the tower. Although it may be expensive at first, it would be a cost savings in the long run.
- Executive Session pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a Personnel Matter
Allen Crabtree made a motion to enter into Executive Session pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a Personnel Matter at 7:40 pm. It was seconded by Dana Batchelder. Motion carried.
The Board returned to regular session at 8:28 pm. No action was taken during Executive Session.
Allen Crabtree made a motion to adjourn at 8:32 pm. It was seconded by
Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas
Note: These minutes are not verbatim. A recording of these proceedings is available in the Clerk’s Office during regular office hours.