General Assistance Program Ordinance Amendment to Incorporate the FY 2013 “Temporary” Housing Assistance Limit
Call to Order
Chairman Ann Farley opened the Public Hearing at 6:03 p.m.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen: Ann Farley, Edythe Harnden, Allen Crabtree, Jeff Harriman, Chris Parker, Town Manager; James Smith III and Town Clerk; Michele Bukoveckas. Guest present was Jim Libby. Ann Farley welcomed Chris Parker to the Board.
General Assistance Administrator and Selectman; Edythe Harnden explained that the new guidelines have been reduced. The reimbursement rate for Sebago will continue at 50%. Allen Crabtree asked if the Town could develop a policy which would allow the maximums to be exceeded. Edythe stated that we would not be reimbursed for those expenses, and our program would be out of compliance.
James Smith stated that Aaron Shapiro from Greater Portland Council of Governments acknowledged Jim Libby for all his hard work with the Food Pantry.
The Public Hearing was closed at 6:07 p.m.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
The following items were added to VI. New Business
- Adopt new General Assistance Temporary Housing Limits
- Appoint Budget Committee Member Don Olden Sr.
- Nomination to MMA Legislative Policy Committee
- Tax Acquired Property Discussion
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the May 22, 2012 Public Hearing
Allen Crabtree made a motion to approve the May 22, 2012 Public Hearing. It was seconded Edythe Harnden. Motion carried with Jeff Harriman and Chris Parker abstaining.
- Approval of the May 29, 2012 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Edythe Harnden made a motion to approve the May 29, 2012 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Allen Crabtree. Motion carried with Jeff Harriman and Chris Parker abstaining.
Would like the Town to look into the “junk yard” on Route 107. He stated that there are several vehicles there.
- Review and select a BAN bank
Allen Crabtree stated that he has spoken with four (4) banks: Gorham Savings, Bangor Savings, Androscoggin Bank, and TD Bank. The banks need to know how much is needed in the note before they can bid. It was stated that the Town should have the bond by October, and that the bid should be about 60% of the whole amount. Allen Crabtree will contact the banks with this information.
- Approve conditional contract with Shaw Brothers
Jim Smith stated that Bill Stockmeyer had not sent a written reply as of yet, but stated that there are items that need to be altered. It was stated that AIA contracts are not “owner” friendly, as they tend to favor the contractor. Jim will contact Bill Stockmeyer and direct him to work with Shaw Brothers. This item will be brought back at the next meeting.
- Approve conditional contract with building contractor
As Bill Stockmeyer was on vacation this contract has not been reviewed and will be brought back at the next meeting.
- Appoint building committee members
Allen Crabtree made a motion to appoint the following, conditional on the referendum vote:
- Jeff Fleming
- Rescue-Jason Schoolcraft
- CEO-Brandon Woolley
- Town Manager-James Smith
- 2 Selectmen-Ann Farley and Allen Crabtree
It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
- Approve conditional contract with “clerk of the works”
It was stated that one individual applied. His name is Don Dyer, Architect from Limington. Jim Smith stated his references “checked out”. Allen Crabtree made a motion to have the Town Manager negotiate with Mr. Dyer contingent on the referendum vote. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried with Chris Parker abstaining.
- Elect Chair and Vice Chair for Board of Selectmen
Allen Crabtree made a motion to elect Ann Farley as Chair of the Board of Selectmen. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried. Edythe Harnden made a motion to elect Allen Crabtree as Vic Chair of the Board of Selectmen. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
- Adopt the New General Assistance Temporary Housing Limits
Allen Crabtree made a motion to adopt the New General Assistance Temporary Housing Limits. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
- Appoint Budget Committee Member Don Olden Sr.
Jeff Harriman made a motion to appoint Don Olden Sr. to the Budget Committee for a term to expire June 2015. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
- Nominations to MMA’s Legislative Policy Committee
It was stated that this would be a 10 hour monthly commitment. Jim Smith stated that he will attend the first meeting to see if it is something he would be interested. Allen Crabtree made a motion to nominate James M. Smith III to MMA’s Legislative Policy Committee. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
- Tax Acquired Property Discussion- Map 029 Lot 007
It was stated that one bid was received. Ann Farley made a motion to accept the bid. It was seconded by Allen Crabtree. Motion carried. Allen Crabtree made a motion to direct Michele Bukoveckas to forward the documents to Attorney, Amy Tchao to prepare the documents. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported on the following:
- He has been in contact with the owner of the old school house on Route 107 regarding the roof collapsing. The owner plans to have it repaired.
- Mattie Adams from GPCOG is looking for a delegate from Sebago to serve on a committee. Jim has volunteered as delegate.
Edythe Harnden stated the following:
- Comedian, George Hamm will be performing at the Town Hall on July 6, 2012. Tickets are $10.00 each. The material will be PG16. Mr. Hamm will receive half the profit; the other half will go the Fuel Assistance Fund. The school, church, Lions Club has all agreed to let the Town borrow chairs for this event. Edythe will need help setting up and returning the chairs. The Lions Club also has a PA system which can be used for the event.
- Would like to look into Dana’s suggestion of having an electronics recycling day with the proceeds going to the Fuel Assistance Fund
- Camp O AT KA will be having a harvest dinner on August 28 to benefit the Fuel Fund.
Allen Crabtree reported the following:
- The model of the Fire/Rescue Building will be moved into Jim’s office as it cannot be present the day of the referendum vote
Ann Farley reported the following:
- Received a letter from Peter Dunn, President of “Save Our Sebago” regarding the water level in Sebago Lake. Allen Crabtree will draft a resolution and present it to the Board at the next Board of Selectmen’s Meeting. The Resolution will then be sent to FERC and SAPPI.
Jeff Harriman reported the following:
- Felt that based on discussions at the Town Meeting, guidelines should be developed regarding the use of the UFB, such as a one (1) time shot for capital improvements.
- There is a family in town which has two (2) foreign exchange students which are looking for letters of recognition for all their committee service. Jeff will draft a letter and present to the Board for their approval at the next meeting.
Chris Parker reported the following:
- Asked about the statement on the referendum ballot regarding the support of the Board of Selectmen. Michele stated that the ballot must indicate the recommendations of the selectmen and budget committee under State law.
- Asked where building maintenance is listed in the budget. It was stated that building maintenance is listed in the departmental budgets.
Edythe Harnden made a motion to adjourn at 7:20 p.m. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas