Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 pm by Chairman, Ann Farley.
I. Roll Call
Present were: Selectmen; Ann Farley, Edythe Harnden , Allen Crabtree, Chris Parker, Town Manager: James M. Smith III, Town Deputy Clerk and Recorder, Donna Cook, Guests present were: Tim Mayberry, Jim & Marjie Jansz, Dana Bilayr, David Ferris, Norm Storey and Charlie Frechette.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
New Business will be discussed after comments from the Public.
III. Comments from the Public
There were no comments from the public.
- Excavator approved by Budget Committee
Jim Smith explained that since the Budget Committee and the Selectmen had approved the lease/purchase of an excavator, he had made contact with two representatives. Both are here tonight to give presentations regarding each of their products. Dana Bilayr of Hitachi gave his presentation first. David Ferris of Caterpillar gave his presentation second. There was a lengthy discussion in regards to each unit’s dependability, fuel costs, interest rates, resale value and needs of the Town. The decision was made to move forward with a lease/purchase agreement. The motion was made by Ann Farley to enter into a lease/purchase agreement with Caterpillar for the sum of $126,774.0; seconded by Allen Crabtree. Motion carried 4-0.
Motion was then made by Allen Crabtree for Town Manager, Jim Smith, to sign a lease/purchase agreement with Caterpillar; seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried 4-0.
Approval of the July 3, 2012 Town Meeting Minutes
Edythe Harnden made a motion to approve the July 3, 2012 Town Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried with Allen Crabtree abstaining.
- Resolution to F.E.R.C. on Sebago Lake Water Level
Discussions were made regarding the draft Resolution to the F.E.R.C. with input from Charlie Frechette, on F.E.R.C. processes. In the past, they have requested Mean Sea Level water levels not be lower than 263.5 feet from April 1 – October 15. He also stated that it should be mentioned that higher water is not being requested, it is being requested that lake water not be allowed to get too low.
Allen Crabtree will update current resolution with amendments and send out to Board Members. Allen will also include a draft letter of support along with the Resolution.
A motion was made by Allen Crabtree to approve the amended resolution; seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried 4-0.
Jim Smith stated that he received estimates from F.R. Carroll and Dayton Sand & Gravel. Jim feels that between the two estimates submitted that F.R. Carroll’s is most cost effective. After the Board re-examined the recommendations from the Road Committee, that were handed out last month, a motion was made by Allen Crabtree to accept the estimate for paving of River Rd, Allen Rd, Winn Rd and the grinding & paving of Orchard Rd by F.R. Carroll. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried 4-0.
- Discuss Fire & Rescue Referendum
Ann stated that they had met Sunday evening with Task Force. Allen then reported on two items:
1. Board was given a sheet which shows financial impact of the referendum. Currently, there is no impact but will be at budget time.
2. There is a signed memorandum of agreement with Standish to provide a fire truck, on that basis, for the last two years the replacement of Engine 2 has not been funded in the CIP. Since, there is to be no new building, Standish is removing their prior offer of a fire truck. Jim Smith then stated he had heard from the Town of Standish to confirm that Sebago would not be receiving a fire truck from the Town of Standish. He further stated that a letter regarding their decision would be coming from Standish. Discussions were had regarding re-funding the cost for replacement of Engine 2 as well as doing minimum repairs on Station 2 to make it safely functional.
Allen made a motion that Jim Smith obtain estimates to do minimal repairs on Station 2 to include: the insulation, furnace and roof. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried 4-0.
Other discussions were regarding the $235,000 that was allocated for the new fire and rescue building. Allen then stated he was reluctant to pursue this project without first knowing potential reasons why it had failed. With that being said, he presented the Board with a draft voter survey he had drafted. Costs to mail the survey to each resident were also discussed.
This item will be added to the agenda for next meeting.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported on the following:
- A citizen, from Bridgton Road, sent an email stating she will be here the week of July 21st to repair a roof overhang that had fallen.
- Followed up on a letter distributed to Selectmen last month from a citizen. Jim was in contact with Town Attorney, Amy K. Tchao regarding this matter. On advice of counsel, with this being first complaint against this individual, Jim will speak with individual named in letter to notify them of this complaint and to let them know that it was being noted. The motion was made by Allen Crabtree to recommend Jim Smith speak with this individual regarding this complaint. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried 4-0.
- Jim request vacation days for the rest of this week as well as next Tuesday and Wednesday.
Chris Parker had nothing to report.
Ann Farley reported the following:
- Stated that a new Budget Committee member is needed. She suggested the request be put in the next news letter.
- A new fee schedule needs to be done regarding the Planning Board. A meeting will be set up for September.
Allen Crabtree reported the following:
- There is an MMA Elective Officials workshop in Saco next Thursday. There are also two additional workshops in August being held on July 25th & October 23rd. Allen suggested that Chris might want to go as other Board members have attended. Chris can see Michele to set up registration.
Edythe reported the following:
- Regarding the Senior Weatherization Program. Hopefully, we are going to continue as we were.
- Regarding a project on Kimball Corner Rd, she has two estimates, one was high and is redoing. She is waiting on it and will report at the next meeting.
There were none.
- Executive Session pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a Personnel Matter
Allen Crabtree made a motion to enter into Executive Session pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a Personnel Matter at 20:00 hrs. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried 4-0.
No business was conducted nor action taken during the executive session.
The Board returned to regular session at 20:07 hrs.
Allen Crabtree made a motion to approve the amendment to the Town Manger’s employment agreement. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion approved 4-0.
Allen Crabtree made a motion to adjourn at 20:08 hrs. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion approved 4-0.
Meeting adjourned at 20:08 hrs.
Donna M. Cook