Public Hearing on 2013 General Assistance Maximum Levels of Assistance
Chairman, Ann Farley opened the Public Hearing at 6:02 pm. It was explained that some of the new Maximums Levels of Assistance had been approved earlier this year. This Public Hearing was to set a nine (9) month housing limit, unless the applicant can prove hardship. General Assistance Administrator, Edythe Harnden stated that General Assistance paid for a cremation this week, and that this is a line item which will need to be added to the budget.
There being no further comments, the hearing was closed at 6:04 pm.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Chairman, Ann Farley 6:04 pm.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Allen Crabtree, Edythe Harnden, Chris Parker, Town Manager; James M. Smith III, and Town Clerk/Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas. Guest present was James Libby.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
New Business, item D-Server Discussion
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the August 7, 2012 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Allen Crabtree made a motion to approve the August 7, 2012 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
- Approval of the August 21, 2012 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes and Goal Setting Workshop Minutes
Allen Crabtree made a motion to approve the August 21, 2012 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes and Goal Setting Workshop Minutes. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
There were none.
- Discussion of Pickering Street Survey
Jim stated that he had not heard back from the Town Attorney on this issue. This will be placed on the next agenda.
- Discussion of Town Land Timber
The Board stated that they would be interested in cutting some of the trees near the Town Beach. The trees need to be marked (so we know which ones to cut). Allen Crabtree made a motion to have the Town Manager to out to bid for timber harvesting of Town Property near the Town Beach and Town Pit. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
- Adoption of the 2013 General Assistance Maximum Levels of Assistance
Allen Crabtree made a motion to adopt the 2013 General Assistance Maximums Levels of Assistance. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
- Set the FY 12-13 Tax Rate
Town Clerk, Michele Bukoveckas stated that the Town’s assessment figures look great this year due to some new assessments (Rockcraft is no longer tax exempt and Time Warner adding more lines). As a result, the mil rate is going down this year. The minimum that can be chosen is $.01283, and the highest is $.01347. Ann Farley made a motion, seconded by Allen Crabtree, to select $.01286 for the FY 12-13 tax year. Motion carried. This reduces property taxes by 5.4% over the current mill rate of $.01360, and the new rate will be lower than the mill rate for the last two years. The tax reduction is possible because the municipal budget and the SAD 61 school budget together are $120,614 less than last year. Ann Farley thanked the Board of Selectmen, the Budget Committee and the
Capital Investment Program committee for their hard work in bringing in recommendations for a tight municipal budget.
- Discussion of Tank 2 Replacement
Due to the defeat of the of the Fire/Rescue Referendum in June, and Standish not supplying the Fire Truck which was contingent on the passage of the referendum, Tank 2 is underfunded by two years. Jim will meet with the Fire Department for recommendations.
Allen Crabtree made a motion to transfer the funds from the Public Safety Account back to the accounts they came from (Engine 2, Tank 2, and Land Acquisition), based on a 14% prorated reduction for funds spent on engineering and architectural work for the proposed fire and rescue building. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
Town Clerk, Michele Bukoveckas went over the specs from System Architecture on replacing the server this fiscal year. Our current server is now 5.5 years old and should be replaced. She stated that they are also proposing a host based email system with achieving. The host based email would eliminate our current spam filter, but would require achieving software. She further explained that since we now have a new backup system, Iron Mountain with TRIO is no longer required (we should get a refund from both the spam filter and Iron Mountain). Using the CIP funds, and software and hardware funds, and the refund from the software, we should be able to make this happen this fiscal year. Allen Crabtree made a motion to have the Town Clerk initiate the process of obtaining the new server this year. It was
seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
Michele also stated that emails should be retained as they are a public record. There is no set amount of time to retain emails, although the Stated recommends 5-7 years. The policy review committee will work on creating a policy.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim reported on the following:
- MMA Convention-Michele stated that she felt the staffs time could be better spent in the office since the updates we received are minimal. She recommended that staff attends the convention every two years.
Edythe Harnden reported on the following:
- Would like the name and address of the individuals which made a donation so she can send them a “thank you”
- Board with It completed the roof through the Weatherization Grant.
- Is waiting to hear how much money Camp O AT KA made at the Harvest Supper which will benefit the Fuel Assistance Fund.
- The grass at the Transfer Station needs to be cut. Jim will look into this issue.
Allen Crabtree reported on the following:
- The Sebago Lake letter and resolution went out to Larry Plotkin, Vice President of Save our Sebago.
- Has revised the survey regarding the Fire/Rescue building. He just has to include the link for the on line survey. The survey will then be included with the tax bills.
Ann Farley reported the on the following:
- Will respond to a citizens letter
- Inquired about the old school house roof on Rte. 107. Jim stated he had contacted the owner, and she will be signing a letter to have the roof removed. In addition, the windows will be boarded up.
- Inquired about the public using the showers at the Town Hall. Jim stated that he had spoken with Davy, and that he had let some people in the use the showers, but will not longer allow this.
- Inquired about the Fire Chiefs concerns regarding the loss of phones with the loss of power. It was stated that the phones will still work if there is a generator.
- Emory Martin cemetery’s fence needs to be repaired. There are funds in the perpetual care to take care of this. Jim stated that Tim Mayberry will have it repaired.
Michele informed the Board that November 6, 2012 is a regular Board Meeting night and that is the day of the Presidential Election. The Board would like Jim to see if the room at the Fire Station could be used as they would like their meeting schedule to remain consistent.
Allen Crabtree made a motion to adjourn at 7:30 pm. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas