The PUBLIC HEARING for the General Assistance Program Ordinance Amendment to Incorporate the FY 2013 “Temporary” Housing Assistance Limit & Income Guidelines was opened at 6:01 by Chairman, Ann Farley.
- Ann Farley explained the changes to the general guidelines for the General Assistance Program. The question was asked if we had the option to not say yes. Which we do, however you must give a detailed explanation of what is being done.
- Edythe Harnden further explained the complicated guidelines so the Board could understand.
- With no further questions the Public hearing was closed at 6:04.
Call to Order
The regular meeting was called to order at 6:04 pm by Chairman, Ann Farley.
I. Roll Call
Present were: Selectmen; Ann Farley, Edythe Harnden, Allen Crabtree, Chris Parker, Jeff Harriman. Town Manager: James M. Smith III. Town Deputy Clerk and Recorder: Donna M Cook. Guests present were: Sebago CEO: Brandon Wooley, Tim Smith, Jim & Marjorie Jansz, Norm & Shana Storey.
III. Adjustments to the Agenda
Brandon will give his discussion of land use ordinance updates after comments from the public.
Allen Crabtree made a motion to approve the October 16, 2012 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried
- Jim Jansz reported to the Board the results of several meetings he and Marjorie had attended regarding a pipeline that is being considered to carry tar sand from Canada to Portland for further processing. Their concern is that this could be a safety issue. They wanted to see if the Board had been discussing this or had even heard of this. Mr. Jansz also expressed concerns that there is a pipeline that has taken crude from Portland to Montreal for the last 70 years. Since it goes through Raymond, should any issues happen it could jeopardize Sebago Lake. The members of the Board stated that they were unaware of any discussions by any Towns. Town Manager, Jim Smith, stated he knew and would speak with the Town Manager of Raymond. He would also bring this up at the next monthly meeting of Town Managers. Once information is obtained, Jim will report his
findings to this Board.
- Tim Smith discussed with Jim Smith and the Board the role the fire department played in this last storm and how communications could be improved for planning for other storms. He suggested a check list be created. He also reported the release of Medicare payments for $11,000 plus for Sebago.
- Discussion of Option for Police Patrol.
Jim reviewed calls issued by the CAD (Computer Automated Dispatch) that officers responded to. For the last year, there were 92 various calls that the sheriff’s office responded to in Sebago. After discussion by the Board, it was determined by each member that this was too expensive.
- Tree Harvesting at Town Beach
Jim and Chris went and assessed trees. They were both in agreement that there are some that need to be removed. After discussion of options, Jim stated it would be best to do a bid to have a Forester do an assessment for the town to determine what trees should be taken down. Jim will get bids. CEO will also take a look at area.
- Abatement as Recommended by Assessor’s Agent (Map 003, Lot 002)
After discussion, it was agreed upon that abatement was warranted. The motion was made by Allen Crabtree that the Board approve this abatement. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
- Adoption of New General Assistance Maximums
Ann Farley read a statement that said the Municipality of Sebago adopts the MMA model of the General Assistance maximum levels of assistance limits from the period of October 1, 2012-September 30, 2013. The motion was made by Edythe Harnden that this be approved as read. It was seconded by Allen Crabtree. Motion carried.
- Land Use Ordinance Updates Discussions – Brandon Woolley
Brandon made the request on behalf of the Planning Board for them to be able to make adjustments to the Land Use Ordinances and then bring these recommended changes before the Board. The Planning Board understands that proper procedure to have changes approved will need to be followed. He stated that there were several gray areas in the Land Use Ordinance and contradictory statement in the Shore Land Zoning. For instance, in the Land Use Ordinance, there are missing definitions regarding the use of camper trailers. This Ordinance restricts the use of camper trailers as permanent dwelling; however, the Ordinance does not specify a time limit on how long a camper trailer can be used as a dwelling. There are quite a few in town that I’ve seen as well as several citizens have notified me about. Another example is
regarding the set back requirements. When the other Land Use Ordinance was updated the set back was done for the front area but not for the back.
The motion was made by Ann Farley that the Planning Board is allowed to make the necessary change recommendations to the Land Use Ordinance and bring suggested changes to the Land Use Ordinance before the Board of Selectmen. It was seconded by Allen Crabtree. Motion Carried.
Another discussion Brandon discussed was regarding Hanson Brooke subdivision, approved June 2011. Brandon stated that when he started he was informed no building permits were to be issued as road was not done to standards. Within the last week, there have been two incidents where permits are being requested. In his research, it seems what was requested to be done by Planning Board, but was not what was on the signed plan. Jim instructed to get legal opinion regarding this issue.
- Review Street Light Application
The application was reviewed with two changes made. Ann will speak with Michele regarding these changes.
- Quit Claim Deed for Map 010-, Lot 8
A motion was made by Jeff Harriman to sign the quit claim deed for Ralph & Carol Brown and second by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
- Quit Claim Deed for Map 019-, Lot 103
Edythe Harnden made the motion to sign the quit claim deed as read. Allen Crabtree seconded. Motion carried.
- Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported on the following:
- Discussed a $4500 bill the Town received from Drummond and Woodsum for the Swanson case. Drummond and Woodsum gave the Town a credit of $500 towards their next bill.
- Discussion of Douglas Mountain regarding work that was done there by Jimmy Snow. More work was done than needed. Jim, Jeff and Ann will go tomorrow to Douglas Mountain and look at what was done. Also Jim with speak with Jimmy Snow and request no more work be done there unless requested.
Jeff Harriman had nothing to report.
Edythe Harnden reported the following:
Could Allen, Jim, Michele and her get together to go over winterization program as there are some problems? Meeting was set for Thursday afternoon.
Allen Crabtree had nothing to report.
Chris Parker had nothing to report.
Ann Farley reported the following:
- Shelter storage for Denise Olsen and the Christmas presents storage. There is a storage unit that has side room. She will be able to use that. Currently, there is no lock but it was decided that a hasp could be put on for security.
- Opening the Shelter during power outages was discussed. They will determine a timeline for opening. The Board to meet to discuss this and determine a timeline for shelter openings and will then be passed on to the volunteers.
There were none.
- Executive Session pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a
Edythe Harnden made the motion to enter into Executive Session
Executive Session pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a Personnel
Matter at 19:46 hrs. It was seconded by Allen Crabtree. Motion carried.
No business was conducted nor action taken during the executive session.
The Board returned to regular session at 20:15 hrs.
Jeff Harriman made a motion to approve an increase in the Town Manger’s weekly salary by $34.61. Discussion: This would be a shift to reflect auditor’s comments – no additional layout of Town Funds. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion passed 5-0.
Ann Farley made a motion to adjourn at 20:17 hrs. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion passed 5-0.
Meeting adjourned at 20:17 hrs.
Donna M Cook, Deputy Clerk
Town of Sebago