Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:07 pm by Chairman, Ann Farley.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Allen Crabtree, Edythe Harnden, Jeff Harriman, Town Manager; James Smith III, Town Clerk and Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present were: Jerry Holt, Code Enforcement Officer; Brandon Woolley, Karen McNaughton of Pine Tree Waste, and Geno Genogervais of BBI.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
New Business, F-Solid Waste Contract Discussion and G. Appoint Health Officer
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the December 4, 2012 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Allen Crabtree made a motion to approve the December 4, 2012 Selectmen Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
The Solid Waste Contract Discussion was done at this time.
- Land for Town Preserve Follow-up Discussion
It was stated that the Loon Echo Land Trust had purchased the 1,800 acre parcel from K & W. Loon Echo has offered to donate 135 acres to the Town of Sebago for a contribution $25,000 from Town funds. Two lots at 3 acres each would be held back for house lots, the remaining acreage could be used for conservation and forest management. Allen Crabtree made a motion to endorse the principle as requested by Loon Echo Trust using $25,000 from the Land Acquisition Fund as a contribution for the 130 acres off Swamp Road with the intent that Loon Echo Trust prepare and agreement with the Town which will be reviewed with the full Board at the next meeting. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
- Douglas Mountain Trail Follow-up Discussion
Jeff Harriman stated he hoped to have another committee meeting in February. He stated that he had spoken with Brian Clark, and that the Vocational School would be building the bridge (free labor). Brian estimates the materials will cost about $200.00. Jeff also stated that the Branchduckers have cleaned up and finished their trail work with no additional funds required from the Town.
- Planning Board Appointment (Rick Viles)
Allen Crabtree made a motion to appoint Rick Viles to the Planning Board until June 30, 2015. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
- CIP Committee Appointment (Jim Jansz, Sherry Miller, BOS)
Allen Crabtree made a motion to appoint Jim Jansz, Sherry Miller, and Edythe Harnden to the CIP Committee. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
- Budget Committee Appointment
Michele stated that this would be to fill the position vacated by the passing of Don Olden. The Board will appoint someone at their next meeting.
- School Board Appointment (Benson Bowditch Jr.)
Jim Smith stated that Richard Merritt has been placed on the Sebago Elementary School Advisory Committee and felt that he should not resign at this time; therefore, an appointment is not necessary at this time.
- Appointment of Registrar of Voters (Michele Bukoveckas)
Edythe Harnden made a motion to appoint Michele Bukoveckas as Registrar of Voters. It was seconded by Allen Crabtree. Motion carried.
- Solid Waste Contract Discussion
Jim Smith stated that Pine Tree Waste and BBI are now one company and can offer better services to their clients. The amended contract drops the tipping fee to $62.00/ton but is subject annual adjustments (anniversary date) based on the Northeast Urban Area Consumer Price Index. A fuel surcharge with a trigger amount of $4.25 per gallon will also become effective on an annual basis. Two contracts were presented, one for 3 years, and one for 5 years. It was stated that the 5 year contracts offers more protection for price increases. Allen Crabtree made a motion to approve the 5 year contract. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried. (A copy of both contracts is attached to these minutes and is available in the Clerk’s Office).
- Appointment of Health Officer
Allen Crabtree made a motion to appoint Helen Twombley contingent upon her acceptance as Health Officer. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim updated the Board with a preliminary analysis of Governor LePages’s proposed State Budget Cuts. The major cuts which would affect Sebago are the elimination of State Revenue Sharing and changes to education funding. There are other proposed changes which shifts the burden to the property tax payer. Jim stated that the Manager’s List Serve recommends that letters be drafted to Representatives and Senators to describe the impact of the Governor’s proposed budget on the municipal budget. Ann Farley made a motion that Allen Crabtree draft a letter to Representative Kinney, and Senator Hamper to address the Boards concerns. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried. Allen will circulate the letter to the Board for their approval prior to sending it out.
Edythe Harnden reported the following:
- Will be asking Aaron Shapiro if ok to proceed on the Weatherization grant
- Wants to do a yard sale again this summer (2 days) for the Fuel Assistance Fund, but will need help
- Would like to invite George Hamm to come and do another benefit.
Allen Crabtree reported the following:
- Casco has submitted a Resolution regarding the Opposing Sending Tar Sands Oil through the Town and Region and Allen wanted to know if Sebago wanted to do the same. The Board replied not at this time. Allen Crabtree made a motion to take no action at this time, but that this issue can be brought back at any time for discussion. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
- Asked Michele if she could look into getting higher interest rates for some of the CIP items and report back at the next meeting.
Ann Farley reported the following:
- Would like to see dedication of the Town Report and Memoriam on the next agenda.
- Stone replacement/restoration for some of the headstones in the cemeteries in Town. There were questions raised about the legality of this (using Town funds for private use), Michele will forward an email from MMA on this issue to the Board.
- Executive Session, Pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (F) to Discuss a Poverty Abatement
Ann Farley made the motion to go into executive session Pursuant to Title 1§ 405 (6) (F) to Discuss a Poverty Abatement at 7:34pm. It was seconded by Allen Crabtree. Motion carried.
The Board came out of executive session at 7:41. No action taken in executive session. Allen Crabtree made a motion to send the applicant an ineligibility letter pending further information on amount of property taxes due and also to refer her back to General Assistance. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
Motion to adjourn made by Jeff Harriman made a motion to adjourn at 7:45 pm. It was seconded by Allen Crabtree. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas