Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:03 p.m. by Chairman, Ann Farley.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Allen Crabtree, Edythe Harnden, Jeff Harriman, Chris Parker, Town Manager; James Smith III, Town Clerk and Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present were: Jim Libby.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
There were none.
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the April 16, 2013 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Edythe Harnden requested that a typo on page 2 be fixed. Allen Crabtree made a motion to approve the April 16, 2013 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes as amended. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
Jim Libby stated that during a recent Planning Board Meeting, a comment was made that he felt was inappropriate. The comment was made after a sketch plan review. Jim Libby stated that board members take oaths to uphold the laws of the State and local ordinances, and that the comment was contradictory to the oath. Jim Smith will look into this and speak to the appropriate individuals.
Jim Libby also stated some of the proposed changes to the Land Use Ordinance conflict with the Comprehensive Plan, especially in Section 5. 7 Conformance with the Comprehensive Plan. It was stated that the Comprehensive Plan was a guideline. Jim Smith will check with the Town Attorney for further information.
The Board felt that Article 28 (permission to use the UFB in emergencies) was not needed. If a situation arises that requires the use of the UFB, a Special Town Meeting will be called. It was stated that the Town Attorney had reviewed the articles and approved the wording of the articles. The attorneys did have concerns regarding some of the proposed changes to the Land Use Ordinance (attachment wording), and submitted language changes. Jeff Harriman made a motion to sign the Town Meeting Warrant after the removal of Article 28, and to accept the recommendations of the Town Attorney. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried.
Allen Crabtree asked Michele to fix the Historical Society Report in the Annual Report. He thanked Michele for her hard work on the Annual Report. He further added that he was sad to see that some reports were missing, as this is a historical document.
- Review and Vote on Town Budget
It was stated that the budget is $28,561 higher than last years’ budget (after the UFB draws). Additionally, the school is up $68,257 and the County is up $17,602. It was stated that hopefully, the assessments will help offset these increases.
- Discussion of Foreclosure Process
Jim Smith stated that he had spoken with the Town Attorney. They stated that due to Operation of Law (timely notifications sent); the Town legally owns nine properties. The Town has a Tax Acquired Property Committee comprised of the Town Manager, Town Clerk/Tax Collector, CEO, Assessor, and one Board Member. This committee reviews the properties, and then makes recommendations to the Board of Selectmen for disposal. In looking over the list of properties, the Board pointed out that there were three properties which the Town might want to retain as they could be beneficial. The Board was asked to review the policy and the list as this will be revisited in the future. Since the committee needed a Board member, Allen Crabtree made a motion to appoint Edythe Harnden to the Tax Acquired Property Committee. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported the following:
- Neil D. Courtney, Fire Protection Specialist is proposing to conduct a feasibility study of combining the Fire and Rescue Departments into one. Jim would like information on the scope, timeline to implement, and costs to conduct the study. Jim is waiting for more information.
- Road Committee met and discussed that Robinson Hill Road and Allen Road needed to be done. Robinson Hill Road and Allen Road need to be grinded up, graded, and have a base and top coat applied. Allen Road needs gravel before applying top coat. Jim would like to look into having the work stretched over a two year period that way we can take advantage of costs savings and availability of the workforce. The committee will be meeting again to obtain costs associated with these roads.
Edythe Harnden reported that work should begin this week on the weatherization project.
Jeff Harriman reported that he had spoken with Brian Clark from Lake Region High School who will conduct an evaluation of the trail to Douglas Mountain to see what improvements need to be done. Jeff would also like to schedule a trail clean up day in the near future. He will check his schedule at work and report back to Ann Farley so they can schedule a Douglas Mountain Committee Meeting.
Ann Farley reported the following:
- Received a letter from a citizen complaining about the late fee associated with re-registering a dog after the deadline line. It was stated that the late fees are set by the State, and that reminders are printed in several newsletters. Ann will reply to the citizen.
- Provided copies of job descriptions and MMAs Salary Survey for the Board to review. Ann stated that the Ordinance Review Committee (Michele, Ann, Jeff and Jim) will be meeting to review these documents and make recommendation s to the Board. This item will be placed on the next agenda to see how the Board wishes to proceed with this process.
- May 7th is the Budget Meeting for the School Budget. The meeting will be held at Lake Region High School starting at 6:30 pm.
- May 21st is the School Budget Validation and Municipal Election. A Board of Selectmen Meeting will be held that night at its regularly scheduled time. The location will either be the Fire Station or the small conference room at the Town Ofrfice.
- Executive Session pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a Personnel Matter-Town Manager Performance Review
Allen Crabtree made a motion to enter into Executive Session pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a Personnel Matter-Town Manager Performance Review at 7:03 p.m. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
The Board re-convened to regular session at 8:12 p.m. There was no action taken during executive session.
Ann Farley made a motion to adjourn at 8:14 p.m. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas