Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Chairman, Ann Farley.
I. Roll Call
Present were: Selectmen; Ann Farley, Edythe Harnden, Jim Libby, Chris Parker, Jeff Harriman, Town Manager, Jim Smith, and Town Clerk and Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas. Guest present was Norm Storey.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
Ann stated that the Board would have the workshop, and then enter into Executive Session.
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the September 3, 2013 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
The following corrections were made:
- Under comments from Selectmen: Ann’s comments to state that she, the Town Manager and Dana would meet to discuss cemeteries.
- Jim Libby wanted clarification that it was the Summer Kids Meal Program that would be terminated.
Under adjournment, stated that the workshop would be delayed until a full Board would be present.
Edythe Harnden made a motion to approve the minutes as amended. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried.
Edythe Harnden stated that the a turkey dinner was held at the Town Hall this weekend, and the Volunteer Association had to do a lot of cleaning prior to the dinner. She suggested that the building should be checked prior to rental. In addition, a through cleaning should be done. Also, the large refrigerator is running with very little inside and perhaps could be shut off. Jim will check with the Volunteer Association.
There was none.
- Appointments to CIP Committee Discussion (6 seats open)
Ann Farley stated that she would call the members to see if they would be interested in reappointment to another 3 year term. Jim Libby mentioned that if a seat is still available, Ed Fitzgerald might be interested in serving. This issue will be on the next agenda.
- Set FY 2013-2014 Tax Rate
Jeff Harriman made a motion to set the FY 2013-2014 Tax Rate at $13.15, which will generate an overlay of $6,779.56. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried with Chris Parker abstaining.
Town Clerk, Michele Bukoveckas stated that former Rescue Chief, Tim Smith called and stated the Town would be receiving a check for roughly $3,000 for the trade in on the LifePac 12. Michele asked the Board whether the funds should go into a CIP account or roll into the UFB. Ann Farley made a motion to place the funds into a CIP account. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
- Personnel Policy Re-visions
The Board stated they would like language added to reflect that the hiring date would be the start of the probationary period. Chris Parker made a motion to approve the new language and the longevity scale as presented. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
Michele stated that Fire Chief, Ken Littlefield had presented her with his suggestion for a stipend breakdown for himself as Fire/Rescue Chief and the two deputy chiefs (Fire and Rescue). The Board will review his recommendation and bring this issue back next time.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported the following:
- Meet with Recreation Directors from Casco, Naples and Bridgton. It appears that they started their process of organizing their fall programs in the Spring. Sebago was not aware of the process. As a result, Sebago does not have enough kids to field a soccer team. This is causing scheduling as well as team issues. Jim will be meeting with Mitch Berkowitz (Town Manager of Bridgton), Corinne Davis and the Bridgton Recreation Director to see if these issues can be resolved.
Chris Parker had nothing to report.
Jeff Harriman had nothing to report.
Ann Farley had nothing to report.
Edythe Harnden had nothing to report.
Jim Libby had the following:
- Asked when the paving would be done on Robinson Hill Road and Allen Road. Jim Smith stated it would be done in October. The road grinding would occur this coming week pending advise from F.R. Carroll. Jim also stated that Allen Road would be reduced in width to 18 feet. This should be a costs savings.
- Inquired if Sebago was taking measures to avoid possible fines from OSHA. Jim stated that safety measures and training were in place to avoid these fines.
- The Mobile Food truck would be in Sebago on November 12th. He stated that Baldwin would be included.
- The Lions Club will hold their Breakfast with Santa on December 12th.
- Inquired about the spruce trees in front of the Town Office that should be taken down. Jim will look into this issue.
GOAL SETTING WORKSHOP
Jeff Harriman made a motion to appoint Jim Libby to the Road Committee. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried.
- Executive Session pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a Personnel Matter-Town Manager Contract
Jeff Harriman made a motion to enter into Executive Session pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a Personnel Matter-Town Manager Contract at 8:00 p.m. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried.
Jeff Harriman made a motion to return to regular session at 8:20 p.m. It was seconded by Chris Parker.
No action taken during Executive Session.
Ann Farley made a motion to give a 2% bonus to Jim Smith based on this current salary of $56,420. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried with Chris Parker and Edythe Harnden opposing.
Edythe Harnden made a motion to adjourn at 8:35 p.m. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas