Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Chairman, Ann Farley at 6:00 p.m.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Edythe Harnden, Jim Libby, Chris Parker, Town Manager; Jim Smith, Town Clerk and Recorder; Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present: Neal Farwell and Norman Storey (who joined the meeting late)
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
Executive Session to discuss Public Works Director will be added to the agenda.
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the October 1, 2013 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Jim Libby made a motion to approve the October 1, 2013 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried.
There were none.
There was none.
- Discussion of Planning Board Alternates
Ann Farley stated that at the recent Planning Board Meeting, the Board had a discussion regarding having two (2) alternates. The alternates would be present during the meetings, but would not participate or have any voting rights. The alternates would be used in the event that a member is no longer able to fulfill their obligations. The Planning Board is also working on by-laws which will address how the alternates would serve. The Board tentatively approved of the addition of alternates, however, will wait until by-laws are completed before final approval.
- Public Works Director Discussion
To be discussed during Executive Session.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported the following:
- Town Manger Gordy Billington of Standish has been directed by his Board to look into seceding from MSAD 6 and forming a new district with an abutting towns. He had asked Sebago if we would be interested in this endeavor. Jim explained that Sebago would still have a debt to MSAD 61 for the school bond, but this could still be a cost savings for Sebago. Jim will be attending the meetings associated with this project.
- Kurt Christensen would like Linda Lane and Erik’s Way accepted as town roads. Kurt stated that the roads had been built to town road standards per the Subdivision Ordinance. It was stated that Linda Lane was paved, but Erik’s Way was not. Ideally, Kurt would like a Special Town Meeting and is willing to pay the cost. It was suggested that DeLuca-Hoffman do a peer review at Kurt’s cost, and that Kurt ask the Board to place this as a warrant article for the Annual Town Meeting in June.
- Spoke with Tracy Porter concerning Garden Estates. Tracy has spoken with the Berry’s since their land abuts the subdivision. The Berry’s concern is access to their land. Tracy stated that she might sign interest of the road to the Berry’s and then they could address the issue.
- Paving of Robinson Hill Road and Allen Road would be done on October 24th. There is a potential that Allen Road would not have to be grinded, if so this could save about $5,000.
Jim Libby commented on the following:
- Stated that there were two positions on the Budget Committee that need to be filled prior to budget season which begins in January.
- Inquired as to where the Boston Cane Recipient status was. Michele stated that she had given a name to Ann Burns of the Historical Society.
- Will be presenting the Board with a list of finds from the Department of Labor’s Safety Works.
Edythe Harnden commented on the following:
- Stated that the Lion’s Club is willing to help organize and serve a dinner to benefit the Fuel Assistance Fund. They will help provide the food, set up, meal prep and serving. They would like that the dinner be advertised and that tickets be sold in advance. It was suggested that a spaghetti dinner would be a good meal to serve during the winter months.
- There are changes to General Assistance, but they should not affect Sebago.
Ann Farley commented on the following:
- Received another quote in the amount of $3,500 for repairs to the Poor Cemetery. The last quote received was in the amount of $1,900. It was discovered that the cemetery needs additional repairs and if it is all done at the same time, there could be a 10% savings. The trust fund has about $800 that can be applied to the repairs. June Allen has been in contact with an heir of the family, and they are willing to pay for the repairs. Ann would like to meet with Jim and June to finalize what will be done.
- Asked the Board if they would be interested in having by-laws for the Board of Selectmen. She stated that she served as a Planning Board Member in a former town, and they had by-laws, which worked well.
Chris Parker commented on the following:
- Inquired about re-installing the street light at the Long Beach Community Center. Jim Smith stated that that it did not fit the criteria. It was suggested that a sensor light could be installed.
- Asked about installing the map at the top of the tower. The map should be laminated and installed in plexiglass. Michele stated that there was a map in the safe. Ann will get it laminated and Chris will place in in plexiglass.
- Executive Session pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a Personnel Matter-Public Works Director
Edythe Harnden made a motion to enter into Executive Session pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a Personnel Matter-Public Works Director at 6:40 p.m. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried.
Selectmen came out of executive session at 6:50. No action taken in executive session.
Edythe Harnden made a motion to adjourn at 6:57 p.m. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas