Skip Navigation
Sebago Maine Town Seal
This table is used for column layout.
 
Board of Selectmen Minutes 11/05/2013

Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Chairman, Ann Farley at 6:00 p.m.                            
  • Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Edythe Harnden, Jeff Harriman, Jim Libby, Chris Parker, Town Manager; Jim Smith, Deputy Town Clerk and Recorder; Donna Cook.  Guests present: Neal Farwell. 

  • Adjustments to the Agenda
There were none.
        
III.    Written Communication

  • Approval of the October 15, 2013  Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Edythe Harnden made a motion to approve the October 15, 2013 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes.  It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried with Jeff Harriman abstaining.
        
  • Comments from the Public
There were none.

  • Old Business
There was none.

  • New Business
  • Transfer Station Attendant Discussion
Jim Smith reported that after lengthy discussions with David Crawford, his last working day at the Transfer Station would be November 30, 2013. After discussion by the Board, it was decided that the position would be offered as two part-time positions. Job advertisement will be placed on the Town Website and in the Shopper’s Guide and Bridgton News. It was also noted that there is already interest in this post with applications being picked up by two individuals at the Town Office as well as Board members are being approached about this position.

VII.    Reports from Town Officials
  • Town Manager
Jim Smith reported the following:
  • That Neil recommended Stanley Abraham (I think) who does safety type works. He came in and reviewed all the list of penalties regarding OSHA Compliance. After meeting with him, Mr. Abraham submitted 2 copies of written policies that will satisfy all compliance issues regarding Public Works and Fire/Rescue. The total bill was $120.40 for all written policies submitted. He gave costs for needed training as well as on going safety meetings and OSHA record keeping. In the upcoming Budget Committee meetings, a line item will need to added, to accommodate the $1200 annual costs of safety training. Jim further stated that the statement amount was less than $500.We will be compliant for issues that have been in existence for a number of years. Once we are in compliance, we can obtain the abatement certification.
  • Discussions were had about keeping the truck that was recently replaced due to it being condemned. Jim suggested perhaps fixing it and using it for an employee to use when working in the cemeteries should the Town choose to take care of them and not bid them out. The cost of doing cemeteries after buying equipment verses bidding it out may not be the best option. The Bos asked the TM to dispose of the truck for scrap or sale.
  • Selectmen
Edythe Harnden reported the following:
  • David Crawford mentioned about cutting the bamboo. Jim will check this out.
Jeff Harriman reported the following:
  • Recurring and never ending clean up at Douglas Mountain as it’s just not going to get done by volunteers. His thought is for the Douglas Mountain Committee to reconvene and see what can be done. Discussions were had regarding about clearing the brush and dead wood to maintain the view. Jim to research options and Chris will take a look at area when he is up there Sunday.
                         Chris Parker had nothing to report.

Jim Libby reported the following:
  • After reading the Lake Region Weekly and researching Frye Island leaving SAD 6, he stated that he isn’t in favor of Sebago extending money for consultants to discuss Sebago elementary closing and joining with Standish as there are too many unknowns. Jim stated there is a meeting November 12, 2013 in Standish regarding doing a proposal for a consultant to give them options and he plans to attend.
  • Jim discussed what he felt were extreme costs of paving Allen and Robinson Hill Roads.  Ann stated that project is on budget.  Jim will look into this.
Ann Farley reported the following:
  • We need another person to sign checks. She asked Jim if he had followed up with that. He stated that Michele might be able to do this and would report back.
  • Stated she received a letter from Ruth Shaw stating after her beauty shop was shingled and the old shingles were taken to the dump for disposal, it was discovered that it was hard to unload things at the dump. Suggestions to make it easier to unload vehicles were discussed as other people do complain about that as well. It was stated by Jim that it was constructed to meet engineering standards for safety as can’t have an open hole. It was suggested that a ramp may be able to be installed for ease of unloading. Ann will report back to Mrs. Shaw that the Board is looking into doing a ramp to help individuals with unloading materials
                
  • Committees
There were no committee reports.

  • Adjournment
Edythe Harnden made a motion to adjourn at 7:45 p.m.  It was seconded by Chris Parker.  Motion carried.


Respectfully submitted,

Donna Cook
Deputy Clerk