PUBLIC HEARING ON PROPOSED GENERAL ASSISTANCE ORDINANCE
The public hearing was called to order at 6:02 pm. General Assistance Administrator and Selectman, Edythe Harnden explained that the major change was burial assistance. Under the old ordinance, all family members ability to pay was considered, under the 2013 model, only the assets/estate of the deceased would be considered. In addition, the food maximums were lowered. This ordinance brings us up to date. There being no further discussion, the public hearing was closed.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:05 pm by Chairman, Ann Farley.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Edythe Harnden, Jeff Harriman, Jim Libby, Town Manager; Jim Smith, and Town Clerk and Recorder; Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present: Norman Storey and Public Works Director: Neal Farwell Sr.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
New Business-G. Budget Committee Appointment
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the December 3, 2013 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Jeff Harriman made a motion to approve the December 3, 2013 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
Edythe stated that she thought the wood cut by the town and stored at the Public Works building was for public use (pre-dominantly General Assistance), and not for employees to take home. Jim Smith stated that he had spoken with employees to reiterate that fact.
She also inquired about a tree at the base of Allen Road which looks like it might fall. It was stated that Neal and the Town Manager are watching this closely.
Lastly she applauded Public Works for the superlative job on keeping the roads clear and safe in Sebago. Bravo!
- Winter Road Treatment Discussion
Jim Libby distributed materials concerning the effects of excessive salt use on the roads and it’s possible impact on the environment and vehicles. He would like the Board to review the information and have a discussion at the next meeting. The Board further discussion the impact of the winter on our budget. It was stated that the Town might have to stock pile more sand/salt.
- General Assistance Ordinance Adoption
Edythe Harnden made a motion to adopt the 2013 General Assistance Ordinance. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
- Abatement as Recommended by Assessor’s Agent (Map 019, Lot 019)
Jim Libby made a motion to approve the abatement as recommended by the Assessor’s Agent. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
- Acceptance of FY2013 Audit
Ann Farley made a motion to accept the FY2013 Audit Report. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
It was recommended that a page list the names of those who passed this year for a memorial, and then have a dedication. This will be discussed again at the next meeting.
The Fire Department would like to replace Engine 2 this year. That would mean funding that line item with $115,961. There were thoughts of using funds from the UFB, but that is not feasible as it would lower the UFB below what our policy recommends. It was stated that another meeting will be held to discuss other options, which might include funding half this year, and half next year. A meeting will be scheduled for Monday, January 13th at 5:30 pm. Jim Smith will contact committee members.
- Budget Committee Member Appointment
It was stated that there are two vacant seats on the Budget Committee, one that expires in 2015 (left vacant by the passing of Don Olden), and one that expires in 2016 (left vacant in the last election). It was stated that Ed Fitzgerald was recently appointed and will fill the seat that expires in 2014. Jim Libby stated that Steve Girardin was interested in serving. Jim Libby made a motion to appoint Steve Girardin to the Budget Committee with a term to expire in 2015 (left by Don Olden).
It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
- Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported on the following:
- There are no legal requirements to replace mailboxes which are damaged by snowplows. He stated that he had recently purchased 4 mailboxes to replace ones that are clearly damaged by the town.
- Neal had suggested that when a storm is forecasted, perhaps the road crew could come in later to help them rest up and save money.
Jeff Harriman had nothing to report.
Jim Libby reported the following:
- The Lions will be assisting in putting on a benefit supper for the Fuel Assistance Fund. It will be held on February 8th from 5pm to 7pm. He wanted to know if the painting would be done by then. It was stated the painting would be complete.
- Noticed porta potties on the warrant for the skating rink, Peabody Pond, and Douglas Mountain. He wanted to know why, when these are not being used. It was stated that Douglas Mountain is used by winter hikers. There was a lot of discussion regarding the ice rink. Jim will check with the Recreation Director to see if the rink is utilized. Regarding the Peabody Pond potty, Jim will check if they can leave it there and not bill us till spring as it is snowed in.
- Road Committee met and discussed Swamp Road. It appears that the committee will recommend rebuilding the road in the upcoming budget season.
Edythe Harnden commented on the following:
- The Lions Club would like tickets pre-sold for the benefit supper. Prices will be $7.00 for adults, $3.00 for children under 12. Maximum per family will be $20.00. Michele will make tickets and signs for the benefit.
Ann Farley commented on the following:
- Asked if the auditors made recommendations on the Investment Policy yet. Michele stated she has not heard from them as of this date.
- Reminded the Board that a Planning Board meeting will be held on Tuesday, January 14, 2014.
- She had read a newspaper article stating that ECOMaine may be returning funds to some towns.
Jeff Harriman made a motion to adjourn at 7:50pm. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas