Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Chairman, Ann Farley at 6:00 p.m.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Jim Libby, Edythe Harnden, Chris Parker, Jeff Harriman, Town Manager; Jim Smith, Town Clerk and Recorder; Michele Bukoveckas. No guests were present.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
Code Enforcement Officer, Brandon Woolley will be placed first on the agenda. Also, under New Business, F Quit Claim Deed.
III. Written Communication
- Approval of the April 1, 2014 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Edythe Harnden made a motion to approve the April 1, 2014 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried.
There were none.
VI. New Business
E. Land Use Ordinance Amendment (Brandon Woolley, CEO)
Brandon stated that the State revised the minimum Shoreland Zoning Laws in Nov. 10, 2013 and that the Town needs to comply with these amendments. Suggested language for the warrant article is as follows “Shall an ordinance entitled “Town of Sebago, 2014 Amendments to the Shoreland Zoning Ordinance, so as to ensure compliance with the State of Maine minimum mandatory Shoreland Zoning Laws as amended November 10, 2013” be enacted? A public hearing will be held on May 12, 2014 prior to the Planning Board Meeting.
In addition, Brandon explained that amendments to the Land Use Ordinance will need to be voted on. These changes are:
- C. Camper/Trailers Camper/Trailers capable of being used or intending to be used for periods greater than two (2) weeks must be issued a Camper/Trailer Occupancy Permit.
- Final Approval and Filing (Section 8, G3-d Recording) “Within ninety (90) days of Final Approval, the subdivder or his agent shall record the subdivision in the Cumberland County Registry of Deeds and shall submit a copy of the Plan to the Town, with a copy of the receipt for recording. Filing time extensions of up to two ninety (90) day periods may be granted by the Board with justification provided by the subdivider and accepted by the Board. Failure to comply with this requirement shall render the subdivision null and void.
Proposed language for the article will read “Shall an ordinance entitled “Town of Sebago 2014 Amendments to the Sebago Land Use Ordinance” be enacted?
Michele will check with Maine Municipal to ensure the articles are correctly written.
A. Town Meeting Warrant
Michele reviewed the warrant with the Board. She stated that the numbers were calculated and compared to the budget and the numbers agreed. There was concern that one of the articles (regarding a carryover) might be confusing. Michele explained that the language was drafted by the Town Attorney. Michele will forward this article to Maine Municipal to see if it could be made less confusing.
In addition, it was stated that due to savings in the school budget, there were funds available to provide raises to various town positions. Ann Farley made a motion to place $14,350 into the budget for wage/stipend increases and one longevity bonus. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried. Michele stated that she will create a line item in the budget (10-02-01-07) entitled Wage Increase /Longevity for the distribution of the increases. The warrant for Town Meeting and budget will be changed to reflect this.
Once the warrant is finalized (comments from MMA received), Michele will contact the Board and a Special Board Meeting will convene to sign the warrant.
A. Investment Policy Discussion
The Board reviewed the changes suggested by the auditor. There were other minor typos that needed to be fixed. The new investment policy will give the town more flexibility in our investments. Ann Farley made a motion to approve the revisions in the investment policy. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried.
B. Signing of M.S.A.D. #61 School Budget Validation Warrant
Jim Libby made a motion to sign the M.S.A.D. # 61 School Budget Validation Warrant. It was seconded by Jeff Harriman. Motion carried. The election will be held on May 20, 2014 at the Town Office. Polls will be open 8am-8pm.
C. Signing of Songo Locks School Water System Improvements Referendum Warrant.
Michele stated that this is going to be a separate ballot from the original school validation ballot. The capital project is in an amount not to exceed $135,824 for improvements. Jeff Harriman made a motion to sign the Songo Locks School Water System Improvements Referendum Warrant. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried. The election will be held on May 20, 2014 at the Town Office. Polls will be open 8am-8pm.
D. Signing of General Municipal Election Warrant (May 20, 2014)
Michele stated that the Town will be electing 2 Board of Selectmen, Assessors, and Overseer of the Poor, 2 Budget Committee Members, 1 School Board Member, 1 Dr. Joseph Potter Fitch Trustee Board Member, and 1 Sebago Cemetery Committee Member. Jeff Harriman made a motion to sign the General Municipal Election Warrant. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried. The election will be held on May 20, 2014 at the Town Office. Polls will be open 8am-8pm.
E. Land Use Ordinance Amendment (Brandon Woolley)
Previously discussed above.
F. Quit Claim Deed for Map 019, Lot 003
Jeff Harriman made a motion to sign the quit claim deed. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported the following:
- Stated that there are 3 properties that the Town foreclosed on for non-payment of taxes. He is in the process of speaking with the prior owners.
- In addition to these properties, Jim mentioned that there are four (4) other properties in Town that the Board might want to consider selling and getting them back on the tax rolls.
- The mowing contract is expiring in May. Jim would like to meet very soon to address new concerns that should be listed. Time is critical as the cemeteries need to be done for Memorial Day.
- County Tax numbers are in. This year’s amount is $247, 291. This is an increase of $4,914 or 4.27 %.
Chris Parker had nothing to report or comment on.
Jeff Harriman had nothing to report or comment on.
Jim Libby commented on the following:
- Was wondering how the mandates for “Dig Safe” would affect Towns. Jim stated that there was no costs unless we are caught digging without notifying Dig Safe first.
- Would like to see the hard hats/cones etc. (safety equipment) labeled with “Town of Sebago”
- Noticed that the legal fees to review the Woodman case to be over &1,700
- Inquired if there were estimates for the repairs to Engine 2. Jim Smith stated not yet.
Edythe Harnden stated/reported on the following:
- Inquired if Neal was doing paperwork on overtime pay. (Noticed on time sheet that Neal had overtime and had worked Monday). It was clarified that Public Works will not start the 4 day work week until May 1, so Monday was a regular day for him.
- Would like Chris Parker to ask the Donahue’s if they would do another benefit golf tournament to benefit the Fuel Fund.
- Is looking for ideas and volunteers to help with fund raisers for the Fuel Fund.
Ann Farley stated/reported on the following:
- May 6, 2014 at Lake Region High School is the School Budget Meeting. Please make every effort to attend.
- Cemetery signs have been ordered and are ready to pick up as the shipping charges are expensive.
VIII. Executive Session, Pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a Personnel Matter – Town Manager Performance Review
Jeff Harriman made a motion to go into Executive Session, Pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a Personnel Matter – Town Manager Performance Review at 7:43 pm. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
The Board re-convened to regular session at 8:45. No action taken during executive session.
Jeff Harriman made a motion to adjourn at 8:47 pm. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas