Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Chairman, Ann Farley at 6:00 p.m.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectman, Ann Farley, Jim Libby, Chris Parker, Edythe Harnden, Town Manager; Jim Smith, Town Clerk and Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
There were none.
III. Written Communication
A. Approval of the September 16, 2014 Selectmen’s Meeting
Jim Libby made a motion to approve the September 16, 2014 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
There were none.
A. There were none.
A. Open Bids for Tax Acquired Property 021-002-B
One bid was submitted by David Shea in the amount of $2,100. Jim Libby made a motion to award the bid to David Shea. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried. The Board directed the Town Manager to contact the Town Attorney to prepare the necessary documents, and to contact Mr. Shea to notify him that he was awarded the bid.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported/commented on the following:
- The well at Public Works is dug. The well is 500 feet deep and yields 3 gallons per minute. Two quotes were received for a ¾ hsp pump. Phil Lowe quoted $2,300, and Dave Woodsum quoted $1,800. Jim stated the pump will be purchased from Dave Woodsum.
- Submitted the Easement from Loon Echo Trust to the Town Attorney for review. They seem to have no concerns with the document. Jim will contact Carrie Walia from Loon Echo with this information, so the deed description can be redone for the November 4, 2014 meeting.
- Has had conversations with Bill Dade (attorney for residents on Anderson Rd) concerning the road and Right of Way conditions. Mr. Dade would like the road/Right of Way returned to it’s original state. It was explained, that in doing so, runoff would go into the Lake. Jim stated that the town will not change this, unless a judgment is made ordering the town to change it.
- The ruts in front of Station 2 will be repaired with cold patch.
Chris Parker had nothing to report.
Jim Libby reported/commented on the following:
- Inquired about the meeting on Peabody Pond Road, with Colin Holme of Lake Environmental Association. Jim Smith stated that a citizen had a concern with ditching which was creating an erosion issue.
- Inquired if culverts were going to be replaced on the Swamp Road this fall. Jim Smith stated yes, the dig safe tickets were completed and marked, but the road crew is preparing the sand and salt right now.
- There is a step in front of the Town Hall entrance that could create a tripping hazard. Jim Smith will see that this issue is addressed.
- Inquired what progress has been made on the building maintenance “approved projects” Jim Smith stated that someone would be coming to give an estimate this week.
- Due to fund raising in September, the Food Pantry will receive approximately $600 and 200lbs of food. In addition, the Chamber of Commerce has had jars in the Lakes Region collecting funds for area food pantries, and Sebago should receive about $1,000.
- Received a grant from Good Shepard Food Bank, which will help purchase a walk in cooler for the food pantry.
Edythe Harnden reported/commented on the following:
- Should set a date to review the Town Manager’s contract.
- Reminded everyone of the Freezing for Heating Polar Dip on November 15th to raise money for the fuel fund.
- Wanted to know why Robert Fitch was at the Transfer Station working when he is not scheduled to work as this could cause a liability issue if he gets hurt. Jim Smith will address this issue.
- Inquired why the Town Manager comes in on his day off to check on Public Works and Transfer Station attendants. She felt he should only come in if there is a problem.
- The slab at the Haley Cemetery needs to be fixed. Jim Smith stated that the soil behind the slab needs to be removed from behind. He will look into this issue.
Ann Farley reported/commented on the following:
- Allen Crabtree would like to come to a meeting to discuss some grants he came across that the town could apply for. Ann will invite him to the November 4th Board meeting.
- Stated that Allen Crabtree will be away from December 16th to January 8th. We will need someone to work the computer during CIP meetings and Budget meetings in his absence.
- Asked Chris Parker if he could meet this Thursday with her and Jim Smith.
- Wanted to be sure that the fall cemetery clean up would be complete before November 11th. Jim Smith will look into this issue.
- Inquired as to whether or not the alarm issue was addressed. Jim Smith stated that the batteries were changed. This is something that should be done more frequently.
- John DiPaolo has moved to Gorham and therefore is resigning from the Zoning Board of Appeals. A appointment will be made at a later date.
At this time, Ann Farley asked Jim Smith to update the Board on the meeting with Jason Jendrasko of Benchmark regarding the Fire Station. Jim stated that a 60 x 60, slab heat with 3 bays was discussed. Jason estimated that this type of steel frame building would cost about $300,000 to $350,000, which would be very feasible. In discussions with Fire Chief, Ken Littlefield, Ken stated that the fireman would like a 70 x 90 building with 4 bays. This would drive the cost up to about $504,000. The Board would like to have a meeting with the Fire Department and Jason. Jim will call Chief Littlefield to see if they can all meet together at their next monthly meeting (November 3, 2014).
Edythe Harnden made a motion to adjourn at 6:55 pm. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas