Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Chairman, Ann Farley at 6:00 pm.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Edythe Harnden, Jim Libby, Chris Parker; Town Manager; Jim Smith, Recorder and Town Clerk, Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present were: Fire Chief; Ken Littlefield, Phil Strike, and Attorney; Brian Willing arrived later in the meeting.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
Add an Executive Session, Pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (E) to Discuss a Legal Matter, and under New Business D. Swamp Road Discussion.
III. Written Communication
A. Approval of the January 6, 2015 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Edythe Harnden made a motion to approve the January 6, 2015 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Jim Libby. Motion carried.
There were none.
A. Discussion on Fire Barn Proposal
Ken Littlefield and Phil Strike stated that at the last Fireman’s Meeting there was a discussion regarding the new fire barn based on a proposal received from Benchmark. This proposal was for a 60 x 60 3 bay building for a cost of approximately $339,000. This would not include site work and paving. The location would be on town land next to the Rescue building. There was discussion as to functionality versus wants. It was brought up that one bathroom might not fit code. Jim Smith will look into this. The fire department will hold another meeting on February 16th at 7:00 pm. Prior to this meeting, Jim Smith, Jim Libby, and Ann Farley will meet with Ken and Phil to continue discussions on this
issue. In the interim, the Town Manager will look into bond and loan rates.
Executive Session, Pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (E) to Discuss a Legal Matter
Ann Farley made a motion at 6:45 pm. to enter into Executive Session, Pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (E) to Discuss a Legal Matter. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
Jim Libby made a motion to return to regular session at 7:15 pm. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried. No action taken during Executive Session.
A. Town Report Discussion
Town Clerk, Michele Bukoveckas asked to Board to begin thinking about whom they would like to dedicate the Annual Report to.
B. Town Meeting Article Discussion
The Board began discussions regarding some articles to eliminate, and adding some new ones.
C. Road Committee Recommendations
Jim Libby stated that the committee had reviewed reports generated from the RSMS program and came to the following consensus:
- Finish Swamp Road
- Shim coat and overlay Mill Pond Circle
- Shim coat Molly Lane and fix the cul de sac
- Shore Road is still on the schedule for next Spring as we will need time and money.
In the event that funds are left over, the committee then recommends that Pit Road and Dolloff Road would be next for repairs. Ann Farley made a motion to go with the Road Committees recommendations. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried. It was stated that the committee will be discussing overlay for Peabody Pond Road and rebuilding Hogfat Hill Road.
D. Swamp Road Discussion
Jim Libby would like the Town to contact Loon Echo regarding where on Swamp Road we can store road material and excess fill. He stated there was a nice location midway of Swamp Road (an old logging site). The North end of Swamp would make an ideal parking area. Jim Smith stated that we need to notify Loon Echo in writing of our intentions and he will do so.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
The Town Manager had nothing to report.
Chris Parker reported/commented on the following:
- Inquired if the pistons on the FL80 had been repaired. Jim Smith replied, it was currently being worked on.
Jim Libby reported/commented on the following:
- Looked at the sample Budget Committee Ordinance and stated that currently, the Budget Committee did not have an ordinance. Ann Farley stated that a policy would be more appropriate and would not require town approval. She stated that the policy committee would be meeting to develop the policy. They will invite Jerry Holt (a member of the budget committee for his input). That being said, Jim Libby offered the following suggestions:
- Strike Section 4, B, as the Town has a separate CIP for this function,
- Strike, elect a Secretary.
- Re write the first paragraph to bring this policy more in line with Sebago’s practices.
Edythe Harnden reported/commented on the following:
- Noticed that a Daytime Per Diem employee is still working 36 hours a week, and feels that other employees should be given a chance for more hours. Jim Smith responded that this employee used to do the scheduling for the per diems, and that this duty has been removed from them as well as the stipend.
- Questioned the Town Manager on not using a local vendor for getting keys made.
- Inquired how long an employee has to wait before the town matches their IRA contribution. It was stated that the match is 3% and starts after the employees 6 month probation is done.
Ann Farley reported/commented on the following:
- A gentleman from Denmark Arts Center would like to obtain Sebago’s tax list to send letters to all our taxpayers. Michele had told the gentleman, that it would cost $50.00 for the list. The gentleman is requesting a discount (he stated that other area towns are providing the list for $5.00). Michele stated that the list is available on the Town’s website in a PDF format. The Board stated that the gentleman can use the PDF, or pay $50.00 for the file. Michele will contact him with this information in the morning.
- Inquired if there were funds in the budget to purchase a new toilet and sink for the ladies room. Jim Smith stated that a new toilet had been installed, and he will look into purchasing a new sink.
- Informed the Board that it is time for Jim’s annual review. This will be done in an executive session in March. Ann will provide the Board with the evaluation forms.
- Would like the first meeting in March to be a Board of Selectmen Meeting with a workshop to follow with the Budget Committee and CIP.
Edythe Harnden made a motion to adjourn at 7:51 pm. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas