PUBLIC HEARING ON A NEW LIQUOR LICENSE
The public hearing was called to order at 6:00 pm. Donna Ellingwood-Cole owner, introduced her son and chef of O.Dan Restaurant, Dan Ellingwood. Donna and Dan stated that this would be a family style, rustic contemporary restaurant, with operating hours being 6:00am to 10:00 pm. It was stated, this was not going to be a night club with loud music. They are looking to operate year round, purchasing their products from local vendors and offer a steady job base. They stated that the menu would be a New England classic with a French twist. The public expressed that they are pleased that this business is coming to town, and wished the new establishment well.
The hearing was closed at 6:12 pm.
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:12 pm by Chairman, Ann Farley.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Edythe Harnden, Jim Libby, Chris Parker; Tim Mayberry, Town Manager; Jim Smith, Recorder and Town Clerk, Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present were Fire Chief; Ken Littlefield, Deputy Rescue Chief, Jason Schoolcraft, Public Works Director, Neal Farwell, Phil Strike, Chris Harrington, Melissa Taylor, and Anita Chadbourne.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
There were none.
III. Written Communication
A. Approval of the May 5, 2015 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Jim Libby made a motion to approve the May 5, 2015 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Tim Mayberry. Motion carried.
There were none.
There was none.
- O. Dans Restaurant Liquor License
Chris Parker made a motion to approve O.Dans Restaurant Liquor License. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported/commented on the following:
- We had written a letter to Loon Echo Trust requesting permission to store materials on Swamp Road, and we received a letter back from them granting us the permission we were seeking. They also stated that the permission was for one year.
- Doug Irish will be placing flags on the Veteran’s graves with the assistance of Ann Burns.
- The foundation across the street from Four Seasons has been removed and filled in as it was a safety hazard.
- Spoke with Sherry Miller concerning the ad that was placed by Sothbys which stated that moorings were available through the Town Office. She stated that she realized that this ad was misleading, and is advising people of this error as they call about the land.
- Asked the Town Attorney if was permissible to by-pass the bidding process as outlined in the Town’s Purchasing Policy. The attorneys stated it was, if classified as an emergency.
- At this time, Jim asked Public Works Director, Neal Farwell to take the floor. Neal stated that there is a demo truck which is a 2016 Freightliner, fully dressed with dump body, sander and plow currently available for $155,000. In addition, Freightliner will give us $12,000 in trade for the old truck. It was stated the funds are currently available in the CIP account, and that there would be some money left over. Neal stated by going through the bid process, we would not have a truck until November, where as we could have this truck now. He verified with 5 different vendors and the time frame was the same. He also said that there is another town that is trying to acquire the funds to purchase this truck, so if this is something the Board is interested in, they would have to act now. There were discussions as to whether or not this
would qualify as an emergency. Neal stated that the old truck needs a lot of repairs which would be costly. Ann Farley made a motion to forgo the bidding process and purchase the truck with CIP funds. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried with Ann Farley, Chris Parker, and Edythe Harnden in favor, and Jim Libby and Tim Mayberry opposed.
- Eben Marsh of Trout Unlimited, visited and they went to look at a location on Batchelder Brook Road for a new dry hydrant. The old dry hydrant (Fran Nelson’s property) would be closed to allow for fish spawning. The fire chief stated that this proposed location would not work as it was not big enough to get the fire trucks in. The Board asked him to do a test run to be sure.
- The Bateman’s have filed a motion to reconsider the Superior Court Order with the court. Our Town Attorney has additionally filed a motion with the court to deny the reconsideration.
Chris Parker reported/commented on the following:
- The sign post for North Beach and South Beach needs to be fixed.
Edythe Harnden reported/commented on the following:
- The wall at the Haley Cemetery (Convene Rd) needs to be repaired. Jim Smith stated it is currently being fixed.
- Years ago Davy Crawford collected funds to place flags on the Convene and Hogfat Hill. She stated that the holder is present on the corner of Convene and Hogfat, but there is no flag. Neal stated he will address this issue.
- Inquired if anything was being done concerning Mrs. Morford’s garage which had damage due to the snow plow. Jim Smith stated that a carpenter is repairing the garage and she will give us the bill for the repairs.
- Asked Neal if he went to Skowhegan last Thursday with Jim, as she did not see it on his time sheet. Neal replied he had gone with Jim and will mark it on his time sheet from last week.
Jim Libby reported and commented on the following:
- The area where three trees which were removed from the hill near the Town Hall looks great.
- Inquired as to whether or not a 3rd bid was received for the repairs to Station 1. Jim Smith stated he had received a third bid and it was lower than the rest, even if we provide the paint.
- Stated that perhaps Dana Batchelder could repair the metal on the ramp located at the Historical Society.
Ann Farley reported and commented on the following:
- Thursday morning meeting is canceled.
- Informed Neal that there are two (2) cemetery signs that need to be installed.
- Was contacted by Carrie Walia concerning a site walk of the property on Swamp Road. Edythe Harnden and Jim Smith stated they were interested in this as well. Ann will contact Carrie and set up a time.
- Michele has developed a handout for Town Meeting, looks good. Would like Michele to have copies of the CIP as well for a handout at Town Meeting.
Tim Mayberry made a motion to adjourn at 7:00 pm. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas
WORKSHOP WITH FIRE AND RESCUE