Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:02 p.m. by Chairman, Ann Farley.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Edythe Harnden, Jim Libby, Chris Parker, Town Manager; Jim Smith, Town Clerk and Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas. Guest : Noelle Conforti of Tappan Way.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
An Executive Session pursuant to Title 1 M.R.S.A. § 405 (6)(c) Disposition of publicly held property to discuss item B under New Business.
III. Written Communication
A. Approval of the July 21, 2015 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Edythe Harnden made a motion to approve the July 21, 2015 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Jim Libby. Motion carried with Chris Parker abstaining.
Noelle stated that there has been an obnoxious smell in their vicinity recently. Jim Smith stated the smell is coming from an area on the Northwest River Road which has farm animals. She has concerns that this could become a health hazard for people and the lake. Jim will address this issue with the Code Enforcement Officer and property owner.
A. Douglas Mountain Property Discussion
It was stated that the property (7 acres) which was acquired through the tax lien process does have access through a right of way. The Board discussed that this land could be timber harvested, or sold in the future. The Board plans to do a site walk in October and then decide what to do with the land.
B. Tax Acquired Property Discussion
To be discussed during Executive Session.
C. Discussion of Selectmen Goals
Jim Libby had these items for goals:
- The Board of Selectmen to be involved during the Town Manager/Department Head budget process. This will help them be aware of what departments are asking for and why.
- Make repairs to Fire Station 1 (under ground wires). Jim Smith stated that he had a quote to have this done. Quote was for $1,548.12). Additionally, the trench in front of Station 1 needs to be fixed. Jim Smith stated this will be addressed prior to paving the parking lot.
- Repair/Replace siding on Town Hall
- Have the gym floor at the Town Hall re-finished.
Ann Farley had these items for goals:
- Continue the quest for a new fire station.
- Timber Harvest on Douglas Mountain
Chris Parker and Edythe Harnden stated they had no goals at this time.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported/commented on the following:
- Neal Allen would like to give funds to establish a trust fund for the Allen Cemetery on Allen Road. Michele stated that the town would have to approve accepting the funds to establish the trust fund.
- According to the Bridgton News, it appears that Sebago Elementary is up for discussion again. An overcrowding issue at Songo Locks has the school board looking at options on how to deal with the issue. These options include:
- SES and Songo Locks to house K-5
- Songo Locks K-2, Crooked River 3-5, and close SES
- Songo Locks as a K-2, Crooked River 3-5 and keep SES open.
It was stated that if Crooked River is re-opened it would need approximately $8 million in renovations, with Sebago picking up 15% of the tab. The Board stated that they need to start showing up at the School Board meetings. Jim will check when they are meeting again and report back to the Board.
Edythe Harnden reported/commented on the following:
- Sold 41 calendars a profit of $410.00. So far 4 prizes have been delivered and people are pleased. There was an afghan that was erroneously omitted, and will be raffled during the Harvest Dinner. Tickets will be 2 for $1.00 or 3 for $5.00. A second drawing for a bag of apples will also be held.
- The Camp O AT KA Harvest Dinner will be held on August 27th starting at 6:00 pm. Proceeds will benefit the Fuel Fund.
Jim Libby reported/commented on the following:
- Inquired about the $300.00 expenditure to fix an obelisk in the cemetery located on Ledgewood. Jim Smith stated that David Twombly has the materials and is working on the repair. Ann stated that no further funds are need for this project.
Stated that the retaining wall in the Haley Cemetery needs to be fixed before it falls.
Inquired if the Town has been reimbursed for the damage to the Historical Society. Jim Smith reported we have not, but will speak with the insurance company.
Inquired about the signs the Fire Department ordered from Muddy River, and why they were not installed yet. It was stated that the buildings needed to be power washed first.
Inquired about the wrong fittings for the hydrant on Marathon Ave and whether or not the Town had received a credit. Jim Smith stated that we had not and that these fittings might fit a different hydrant in town.
Inquired about what was happening with the hydrant at Nason’s Beach. Jim Smith stated he is still waiting to hear back from Eben Marsh (Trout Unlimited)
Noticed 50 cones were purchased by the Public Works Department, wanted to know why. Jim Smith stated that cones were stolen, the police have caught the individual responsible and we will be seeking restitution.
Noticed 6 decals were purchased by the Public Works Department. Were these necessary? Jim Smith stated that these decals identify the vehicles as Town Vehicles. It was further stated that Neil acquired quotes before settling on a vendor.
Aaron Shapiro from Cumberland County made an appearance at the Food Pantry. It was discussed that the building could use new windows. Aaron stated that a grant is available from CDBG. Jim Libby will ask Allen Crabtree to write the grant.
Inquired about trash left in the woods on the Folly Road. Jim Smith will address this issue.
Ann Farley reported/commented on the following:
- Inquired if the sink hole on the Northwest River had been repaired. Jim Smith stated that it had been graded, this caused part of the road to “give way”. Public Works will be placing additional gravel on the road and fix that issue.
- Will not be present for this Thursdays meeting, two other Selectmen can meet if they choose to.
- The Policy Committee will meet next Wednesday to discuss the Road Policy.
- Richard Tidd will be placed on the next agenda to discuss Spider View.
VIII. Executive Session, Pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6)(c) Disposition of Publicly Held Property
Ann Farley made a motion to enter into Executive Session Pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6)(c) Disposition of Publicly Held Property at 7:24 p.m. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
The Board reconvened at 8:15 pm.
Jim Libby made the motion to direct the Town Manager to arrange for minimum yard maintenance to be done on the Tax Acquired property on a regular basis, contact CMP to transfer account to the Town, and install new locks. Town Manager will also contact an Estate~sales person for disposal of personal property and to contact several Real Estate agencies for information regarding sale of the property. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
The Board will have another Executive Session on August 11, 2015 at 6 pm.
Edythe Harnden made a motion to adjourn at 8:25 pm. It was seconded by Jim Libby. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas