Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by Chairman, Ann Farley at 6:00 pm.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Jim Libby, Edythe Harnden, Tim Mayberry, Chris Parker, Town Manager; Jim Smith, Town Clerk and Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present, Joe and Susan Tappan, Marcia Christensen, and Richard Tidd.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
III. Written Communication
A. Approval of the August 18, 2015 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Edythe Harnden made a motion to approve the August 18, 2015 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Tim Mayberry. Motion carried.
B. Approval of the August 25, 2015 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Ann Farley made a motion to approve the August 25, 2015 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
Richard Tidd addressed the Board concerning reimbursement for plowing Spider View Rd. He stated that when he purchased the property many years ago it was a town road. Sometime in 2001 a letter was sent from the Town stating that it would cease plowing, as Spider View was a private road. Through research, Mr. Tidd has found out that it is in fact a town road. Mr. Tidd was advised that our town attorney has stated that the town has no obligation to reimburse him $8,025 that he is requesting for plowing of the road. He was also informed that from this day forward, the town would maintain and plow the road. The Board stated that they have not heard from anyone else on the road; therefore, do not know how the other residents feel about the town maintaining the road. Mr. Tidd
did mention, some would rather it was a private road. Tim Mayberry suggested writing individual checks to property owners on Spider View Road, instead of one big check to Mr. Tidd. Ann Farley made a motion to provide no compensation for repairs and plowing on Spider View Road. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried with Tim Mayberry opposed. Mr. Tidd advised the Board he would look into legal counsel.
Joe (Aldous) Tappan addressed the Board. He stated that the odor in the Northwest River Basin is still very offensive. He was present this evening with Susan his wife, and resident, Marcia Christensen to make a formal request to have this issue addressed. Mr. Tappan presented the Board with a log of when the smell is most offensive (which is part of this record). James Smith stated that he had spoken with Mr. Girardin, and thought it was being addressed. It was stated that there is no ordinance to address this type of issue. Some members of the Board suggested a revision to the Land Use Ordinance that would prohibit farm animals in certain zones. Jim Smith stated he will speak with Mr. Girardin again. He also gave Mr. Tappan his cell phone number and requested that he call
when the odor recurred and he would make a site visit.
A. There was none.
A. Signing of the Cumberland County Warrant
Edythe Harnden made a motion to sign the Cumberland County Warrant in the amount of $257,472.00. It was seconded by Tim Mayberry. Motion carried.
A discussion regarding the FY 15-16 tax rate ensued. Michele stated preliminary figures show a minimum rate of .013097 with a maximum rate of .013751. Tim Mayberry made a motion to set the rate at .01312, which will yield an overlay of approximately $8,491.64. This is a reduction of $.22 on the mil rate from this year.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported on the following:
- In the process of acquiring signatures on quit claim deeds for the property that abuts the Folly Road Bridge: two property owners have signed, and there are two more to acquire. He stated that the Board needs to formally accept the donation of land. Ann Farley made a motion to accept the donation of land abutting the Folly Road Bridge from the Deering’s, and the Trails. It was seconded by Jim Libby. Motion carried.
Tim Mayberry commented/reported on the following;
- Stated that he has driven past the Town Hall in the evenings and believes the outside lights are very bright. He inquired as to why the lights are on when there are no functions, and wondered if the lights were necessary. The Board stated that the lights are for security as well as visibility. The lights have been adjusted and are on a timer.
Jim Libby commented/reported on the following:
- Noticed that the Beach account is almost expended, and wanted to know how much longer the attendant would be working. Jim Smith stated the last weekend is Labor Day.
- Asked for an update on Swamp Road. Jim Smith stated that some issues have arisen that are being addressed. He stated that a base coat will be done before winter.
- The AuCoins will once again be hosting a Block Party to raise funds for the Food Pantry. The party will be held at the AuCoin’s on Anderson Road, on September 19, 2015 from
Edythe Harnden commented/reported on the following:
- The calendar raffle is done and all prizes have been delivered. The raffle raised $410.00. for the Fuel Fund. There were only two people who did not get a prize in the raffle, and her son donated a free inspection to those individuals.
- The Camp O AT KA Harvest Dinner was well attended, and raised $1,062.50. Two afghans and 3 pick you own apples were raffled.
- The Fuel Fund now has a balance of $6,179.80.
Ann Farley commented/reported on the following:
- She and Edythe will be present for the Thursday morning meeting this week.
- The sign at the Veteran’s Park has been painted. Ann stated that the plexiglas needs to be replaced. Jim stated that he will contact Anderson Glass.
- Inquired if the compactor at the Transfer Station had been repaired. Jim Smith stated, not yet, waiting to be scheduled.
VIII. Executive Session, Pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6)(c) Disposition of Publicly Held Property
Edythe Harnden made a motion to enter Executive Session, Pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6)(c) Disposition of Publicly Held Property at 7:12 pm. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried.
The Board reconvened at 7:30 pm. Ann Farley made a motion to enter into an agreement with Robert Bateman and his wife to repurchase the property at 18 Quaker Camp Road in the amount of $300,000.00. Sale needs to be completed within 30 days. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
Edythe Harnden made a motion to adjourn at 7:32 pm. It was seconded by Jim Libby. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas