Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 pm by chairman, Ann Farley.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Chris Parker, Ann Farley, Jim Libby, Town Manager; Jim Smith, Town Clerk and Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present were Richard Merritt and Claudia Lowe.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
The following will be added under New Business:
E. Supplemental as per Assessor’s Agent
F. Interim Appointment to Budget Committee
G. Timber Harvest Discussion
H. Approve FY 14-15 Audit
III. Written Communication
A. Approval of the December 1, 2015 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Jim Libby made a motion to approve the December 1, 2015 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried.
IV. Comments from the Public
Richard Merritt and Claudia Lowe (friends of Sebago Elementary School), reviewed the time line of events which prompted the circulation of the petition to start the process of withdrawing from M.S.A.D. # 61. Since the failure of the Crocked River Referendum, the committee has had a successful conversation with M.S.A.D. # 55 and are scheduled to speak with M.S.A.D. 6 and with Fryeburg. They are basically looking at options that would be available should the February 2, 2016 referendum be favorable. They stated that they will share this information at the public hearing on January 19, 2016.
V. New Business
A. CIP Discussion with CIP Committee
It was stated that the CIP had not been notified about tonight’s meeting, therefore, Ann Farley made a motion to mail a copy of the December 1, 2015 BOS minutes showing the changes made by the BOS and a copy of the current spreadsheet to committee members and let them know if they have comments or questions they can present them at the February 2, 2016 meeting. It was seconded by Jim Libby. Motion carried.
B. Signing of Special Town Meeting Referendum and Public Hearing
Ann Farley made a motion to sign the Public Hearing Notice and the Special Town Meeting Referendum. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried.
C. Public Safety Building Discussion-Advertising for RFQ (Request for Qualifications)
Jim Smith distributed the proposed draft. The Board felt that the ad should state this is for a Public Safety Building as the specifications may differ for such a building. They also requested that the ad specify when the bids are due. They suggested a date of February 12, 2016. The ad will be listed in the Portland Press Herald, The Shopping Guide, and the Town’s website. Ann Farley made a motion to move forward with the RFQ with the proposed changes. It was seconded by Jim Libby. Motion carried.
D. Abatement Per Assessor’s Agent, Map 011-Lot 024-B
Jim Libby made a motion to approve the abatement in the amount of $73.69. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
E. Supplemental Per Assessor’s Agent, Map 015-Lot 002-F
Jim Libby made a motion to approve the supplemental in the amount of $2,315.06. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried.
F. Appointment to Budget Committee
Due to an injury, Jerry Holt informed the Board he needs a leave of absence. It was stated that Jim Jansz was interested in filling the position. Ann Farley made a motion to appoint Jim Jansz to fill Jerry Holt’s position on an interim basis. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried.
G. Timber Harvesting Discussion
Jim Smith discussed a proposal from Southern Maine Forestry Services. It was stated that he would charge the town 15%. Jim Libby made a motion to proceed with Southern Maine Forestry for timber harvesting town land. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
H. Approval of the FY 14-15 Audit
Ann Farley made a motion to approve the FY 14-15 audit. It was seconded by Jim Libby. Motion carried.
VI. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith commented/reported on the following:
- Need to review the line item descriptions. Feels the descriptions are outdated which results in missed postings or redundancies.
- Ann Burns can no longer update the sign at the Veteran’s Park. Public Works will update the sign until we find a replacement. We will miss all her hard work.
- The plowing contract will expire in April. We will need to go out to bid after the plow route is updated.
- There is a plowing issue on the Folly Road. Jim Smith will address with the game warden and the person doing the plowing.
- Stated that perhaps the Public Works crew should be given a stipend to purchase uniforms. This could be a savings to the town. It was stated that employees should purchase the clothes and then submit receipts for reimbursement. There would be no washing allowance.
Chris Parker had nothing to comment or report.
Jim Libby had nothing to comment or report.
Ann Farley commented/reported on the following:
- Has concerns about the public hearing on January 19th. She would like to allow the committee members 5 minutes to speak and then allow the public to ask questions as she has discussed with Phil Lowe.
- Ann Farley and Edythe Harnden will meet with the Town Manager this Thursday. Jim Libby will meet next Thursday.
- Policy Committee needs to meet to address a Road Policy.
- There will be a Cemetery Committee Meeting on Wednesday, January 6th at 3:00 pm.
VII. Executive Session, Pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a Personnel Matter – Town Manager’s Contract
Ann Farley made a motion to enter into Executive Session, Pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a Personnel Matter – Town Manager’s Contract. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried.
The Board came out of Exec. Sess. @8:09. Ann Farley made a motion~ to approve the Town Manager's contract and stated that the contract will replace the Town Manager's current contract (which will become void and of no further effect). The new contract term is through June 30, 2017 with the same provisions on termination for cause and not for cause. Jim Libby seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Ann Farley made a motion to adjourn @8:10 seconded by Jim Libby. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas