Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 5:45pm by Chairman, Ann Farley.
(Note: The meeting started early due to a guest having a previous commitment.)
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Jim Libby, Tim Mayberry, Edythe Harnden, Town Manager; Jim Smith, Town Clerk and Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present were: David Hague, Charles Frechette and Rene Noel.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
Discussion with Rene Noel from Southern Maine Forestry Services will be added to the agenda and taken first as Rene has a previous commitment.
III. Written Communication
A. Approval of the April 5, 2016 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Jim Libby would like Dawn Touchette added to the minutes as working with the Girl Scouts and Denise Olsen working with SYAA regarding picking up the bottles at the Transfer Station. Jim Libby made a motion to approve the minutes as amended. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
IV. Comments from the Public
Jim Smith stated that over the weekend he received several phone calls regarding the timber harvesting occurring near the Town pit. People were upset that the harvesting had not gone out to bid. Jim stated that according to the contract, Mr. Noel was supposed to work with the Town Manager to select a contractor. Mr. Noel stated that the property was surrounded by roads, power lines, and buildings close to property lines . He chose a contractor who was familiar working with those conditions. He apologized and stated that he would be willing to put the job out to bid. Jim Libby felt that the
prices Mr. Noel quoted are more than fair and feels Mr. Noel should continue. Ann Farley made a motion to put the logging out to bid. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried with Jim Libby opposed. Mr. Noel will work with Jim Smith contractors. Bids will be due by April 29th at 4pm and the Board will review and pick a contractor at their May 3rd meeting.
V. New Business
A. Annual Town Meeting Warrant Review
Michele went over the warrant with the Board. Jim Libby made a motion to approve the Annual Town Meeting Warrant. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried. The Town Meeting Warrant will be in the office and the Board will come in individually to sign it.
B. Tire Disposal / Transfer Station Fees Discussion
The Board discussed what Pine Tree Waste was charging the Town for tires on and off the rim versus what we are charging at the transfer station. It was stated that charging too much for disposal could lead to people disposing of the tires along the roadside. Jim Smith will check with Pine Tree Waste to see what they are charging us for tire disposal for both on and off the rim. In addition, Jim will check with CIA Salvage in Limerick to see what they would charge for disposal as it might be more cost effective for us to haul tires to that location.
VI. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith commented/reported on the following:
- Rick Shepard who teaches the Fire Training at Lakes Region is interested in our Fire Truck for training purposes. He would sign an agreement which states the fire truck would return to Sebago when they were finished with it. They will need the title so that they can register it. Ann Farley made a motion to have Jim Smith execute the paperwork. It was seconded by Tim Mayberry. Motion carried. Jim will draft the letter and have either Rick Shepard or Al Smith, Superintendent of MSAD # 61 sign it.
- Robert Fitch’s last day of work will be on May 29th.
- Neal Farwell’s last day of work will be on June 30th.
- The decaying pig carcasses on Backnippin Rd. were placed there by the property owner.
- There is a dead potbellied pig that was deposited on a trail off the Folly Road just before the bridge. Brandon will be removing the pig in the am if possible.
- Initiated a short discussion on consideration by individuals to improve the town boat launch for public use. The Board decline unanimously.
Tim Mayberry had nothing to report.
Jim Libby commented/reported on the following:
- Would like to have a “free solid waste disposal day” before the end of May. This would not include Hazardous Waste. The Board set a date of May 21st for the free day. Notices will be placed in the Shopping Guide, Web Site and the sign at the Sebago Veteran’s Park.
- Noticed in the weekly warrant that repairs to the excavator and grader were charged to the winter budget and these machines are normally not used during the winter months. Jim Smith stated that sometimes the grader is used during the winter months. Jim Smith will look into this issue.
Edythe Harnden commented/reported on the following:
- Attended a recent General Assistance training and it was suggested that “backups” be appointed in the event Edie is unavailable. Edythe Harnden made a motion to appoint: Michele Bukoveckas, Maureen Scanlon, Leslie Barrett, Jim Libby and Ann Farley as backups to conduct General Assistance in her absence. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
- Inquired why Brandon has not submitted his mileage? Jim Smith stated that he has spoken with Brandon and will speak with him again. Edie suggested perhaps a policy should be drafted regarding submittal of mileage reimbursement.
- Would like to see language in the Personnel Policy regarding requiring physicals for new hires.
Ann Farley commented/reported on the following:
- Tina Vanesse expressed her desire to be re-appointed to the Planning Board as her term expires this June. Ann Farley made a motion to re-appointed Tina Vanesse to the Planning Board. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
- The Policy Review Committee needs to meet to discuss:
- Physicals to the Personnel Policy
- Who on Boards can contact MMA Legal
Ann would like to meet next Thursday at 8am.
- The Staples/Ward Cemetery is in need of fence repair and it should be done this fiscal year. The cemetery is located on Kimball Corner Rd.
- Committees-Withdrawal Committee, Tim Mayberry
Stated that things are progress nicely and that the committee is waiting to hear back from the school board.
Jim Libby made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:15pm. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas