Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 pm by Chairman, Ann Farley.
I. Roll Call
Present were Selectmen; Ann Farley, Jim Libby, Tim Mayberry, Edythe Harnden, Chris Parker, Town Manager; Jim Smith, Town Clerk and Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present were: David Hague and Eric Grove of
Southern Maine Forestry Services.
II. Adjustments to the Agenda
There were none.
III. Written Communication
A. Approval of the April 19, 2016 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Jim Smith requested an addition to his comments, and Jim Libby requested a correction to the adjournment motion. Jim Libby made a motion to approve the minutes as amended. It was seconded by Tim Mayberry. Motion carried with Chris Parker abstaining.
IV. Comments from the Public
There were none.
V. Old Business
A. Tire Disposal / Transfer Station Fees Discussion
Jim Smith stated that he spoke with CIA in Limerick and they will take the tires on/off the rim at $150/ton. He stated that public works would truck the tires to CIA. It was stated that the fees at the Transfer Station are in line with the
cost for disposal. Tim Mayberry made a motion to direct the Town Manager to enter into an agreement with CIA and have public works deliver the tires to CIA. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
VI. New Business
A. Award Bid for Timber Harvesting
Eric Grove from Southern Maine Forestry Services went over the bids. It was stated that four bids were received:
- Brown & Brown-$15,750
Wagner, Kimball and Gilpatrick bid on items individually (white pine, pulp, pallet, etc) and Brown & Brown bided by lump sum. There were discussions regarding the advantages and
disadvantages to lump sum payment versus breaking it down. Jim Libby made a motion to award the bid to Brown & Brown for a lump sum payment in the amount of $15,750 and have them start ASAP. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried with Tim Mayberry
opposed. Lump sum bid shall be made upon signing the timber sale agreement or within 10 days of accepting bid. Eric will administer the contract.
B. Town Meeting Preparations
The Board stated they would like the following documents for the head table at Annual Town Meeting:
- CIP/Budget spreadsheets
- Town Reports
- List of all wages
- Financial Reports
- Budget Comparison
The following documents will be available for the public:
- Town Reports
- Budget Comparison
It was stated that Lake Region Television had been contacted and will be available to film the Town Meeting, and that Public Works will set up on Friday, June 3rd.
VII. Reports from Town Officials
Jim Smith reported/commented on the following:
- David Crawford II will be working at the Transfer Station on weekends, this will commence this weekend.
Chris Parker reported/commented on the following:
- Inquired if there would be limits to the amount of stuff people can bring to the bulky waste day. Jim Smith stated not this year as it is the first year.
- Asked if the flags would be out in time for Memorial Day, Jim Smith replied yes they would be.
Tim Mayberry reported/commented on the following:
- Received a call from the Volunteer Association concerning the freezer at the Town Hall malfunctioning/being turned off and how the Association lost turkey meat. Jim Smith will speak with the insurance company to see if the town has any liability and then will reach out to the Association.
Jim Libby reported/commented on the following:
- Was told by the attendant that the recycling motor ran all weekend. Jim Libby would like the Town Manager to look into this issue.
- Asked Jim Smith if he had heard from Unifirst concerning the uniform contract. Jim Smith stated that he sent a letter stating that the town will no longer be ordering uniforms after June 30th, but has not heard back from the company.
- Inquired about paving the Town Hall and Town Office parking lots this year as funds are available. Jim Smith stated he will speak with Neal.
- Stated that Bob Fitch would like the yellow riding mower and in return would be willing to mow the transfer station at no costs for 2 years. The Board and Jim Smith did not feel this was appropriate and denied the request.
- Asked if ads went out for the Public Works position and Transfer Station. Michele stated that she sent them to the Shopping Guide and placed the ads on the MMA and Town website.
- Would like speed limit signs placed at both ends of the Folly Rd as people are speeding and it could become a safety issue. He stated that he had contacted the sheriff’s office and they will do more patrol, but stated signs should be placed.
Ann Farley reported/commented on the following:
- May 12th, at the Sebago Town Office, 7:00 pm, Withdrawal Committee Meeting.
- May 24th, Lake Region High School, 6:30 pm, School Budget Vote.
- May 31st, Town Office, School Budget Validation and Town Officials Election.
- Policy Committee met, waiting to hear back from MMA Legal.
- There will be no Thursday morning meeting this week.
- Michele asked to close the office at noon on June 30th for year end, the Board granted the request.
Edythe Harnden reported/commented on the following:
- Noticed that funds for SYAA were spent, but there wasn’t a line item for it. Jim Smith stated the funds came out of programs.
- Noticed that Recreation was going over budget in several areas. It was stated that the budget was developed by previous director not knowing the interest that would exist. The new director has new ideas and has generated interest; therefore the budget will go over. The budget has been adjusted for next year.
- State Police have been going around speaking to people on the Convene Road due to recent events (robberies). She wanted to know if there was anything the town can do regarding possible junkyard violations. Jim Smith suggested speaking with the landlord.
- Committees-Withdrawal Committee, Tim Mayberry
Edythe Harnden made a motion to adjourn at 7:15pm. It was seconded by Tim Mayberry. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas