CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order at 6:00pm by Chairman, Ann Farley.
I. ROLL CALL
Present were Selectmen: Ann Farley, Edythe Harnden, Tim Mayberry, Chris Parker, Phil Lowe, Town Manager: Jim Smith, Town Clerk and Recorder; Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present were: Jim Libby, Steve Girardin, Dale Rigg, Fred Houle, Charles Smith, Beth Grant, Gracie Edwards, and Code Enforcement Officer; Brandon Woolley.
II. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA
There were none.
III. WRITTEN COMMUNICATION
A. Approval of the August 16, 2016 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Edythe Harnden made a motion to approve the August 16, 2016 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Phil Lowe. Motion carried.
IV. COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC
Jim Libby stated that the Food Pantry recently held a yard sale which yielded proceeds of $816. In addition, Jim stated that a Food Pantry Block Party will be held at the AuCoin’s home on Anderson Road this Saturday from 2-5 pm. Everyone is welcome to attend.
V. OLD BUSINESS
VI. NEW BUSINESS
A Discussion with Fire Chief: Inner Island Fire
This item has been re-scheduled for September 20, 2016.
B. Set the Fiscal Year 2016-2017 Tax Rate
Michele made a recommendation of $12.30 for a mil rate. She stated that this mil rate would generate an overlay which will cover Camp O AT KA should they be successful in attaining their exempt
status. Some Board members felt that this rate was too low and that with the uncertainty of the school withdrawal process, a higher overlay would be in order. Tim Mayberry made a motion to set the mil rate at $12.35, with an overlay of $72, 973.67. There was no second, motion failed. Ann Farley made
a motion to set the FY 16- 17 mil rate at $12.30 with an overlay of $54,590.38. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried with Tim Mayberry and Phil Lowe opposing.
C. Appoint Zoning Board of Appeals Member-Daniel Bowe
Chris Parker made a motion to appoint Daniel Bowe to the Zoning Board of Appeals. It was seconded by Phil Lowe. Motion carried.
D. Town Email Policy Discussion
Phil Lowe made a motion to adopt the Email Policy. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
E. Mileage Reimbursement Policy Discussion
This item will be placed on the next agenda to allow the Board time to review the policy.
F. Road Acceptance Policy Discussion
The Board discussed the need for this policy. It was stated that when a contractor builds a sub division to town standards, the town has an obligation to accept the road. The Board stated they would
like the town attorney to review this policy. It was also stated that this policy should be part of an ordinance. This item will be placed on the next agenda to allow the attorney time to review and comment.
G. Tax Acquired Property Bid Opening
The following bids were received on tax Map 005, Lot 021-C2 (land/barn):
- Ted Davis $3,000
- Bob Belliveau $8,210
- Steve Girardin $5,001
- Dale Rigg $23,999
The following bids were received on tax Map 005, Lot 19 (House)
- Ted Davis $5,201
- Steve Girardin $13,051
- Dale Rigg $26,675
Former owner, Gracie Edwards presented the Board with a cashier’s check in the amount of $7,600 and asked to purchase her land and house back. This amount of money would cover back taxes and attorney fees. The Board stated that even if this procedure is against the Town’s Tax Acquired Policy, the Town Attorney stated it was permissible. Ann Farley asked Gracie if she was living in the home to which Gracie replied she was. Ann Farley made a motion to accept Gracie Edwards check and quit claim both properties back to her. It was seconded by Phil Lowe. Motion carried.
H. Health Insurance Discussion
Michele stated that because we have very few employees, we need to pool with other towns to get a good rate. She explained that she looked into a HRA high deductible plan. The amount of money the town would have to
contribute for each employee would not yield a savings. In addition the town would have to hire a third party to administer the HRA plan.
VII. REPORTS FROM TOWN OFFICALS
A. Town Manager
Jim Smith reported/commented on the following:
- F.R. Carroll is scheduled to pave the entrance to Station 2 and the Rescue Station this week. In addition, Shore Road and Pitt Road will be done either Thursday or Friday. The price will be $52/ton.
- Contacted Arthur Memorials to fix broken head stones in the small cemeteries. Stated that cemetery rules at the Hancock Pond Cemetery need to be enforced. A cemetery meeting will be held this Thursday at 10 am.
- The Bowditch appeal has been dismissed.
- Contacted Amy Tchao of Drummond Woodsum and advised them that the Town has hired a new attorney. Jim did state that in the event the Bowditch’s appeal the dismissal; he would like Drummond/Woodsum to continue with the case since they are familiar with it.
- Inquired if anyone knew where the end of Hogfat Hill was. He stated he had been approached by a land owner behind Barker Pond who claims the town should maintain the road to the end. Jim informed him it is his responsibility to prove it.
- Received a check from MMA Worker’s Compensation in the amount of $1,005.
Chris Parker reported/commented on the following:
- Inquired when the flags will be taken down. Jim Smith stated after Veteran’s Day. Chris stated that some of the flags in the Long Beach area are damaged and need to be replaced.
- Asked if the sign for the beach (No Swimming in the channel) had been ordered. Jim stated it had and had been erected. Jim also stated that the sign stating “Drop Off Only” at the top of Douglas Mountain Road had been erected as well as signage regarding the parking lot.
Tim Mayberry had nothing to report or comment on.
Phil Lowe reported/commented on the following:
- Distributed information on the Japanese Knot Weed and stated that this is something the Board needs to address before it gets out of control. Jim Smith will research someone to come and speak to the Board at a future meeting.
- Stated that the Town really needs to look at contradictions/inconsistences in our codes and ordinances.
Edythe Harnden reported/commented on the following:
- Thanked everyone for helping or attending the Harvest Dinner. She stated the Fuel Fund received $1,300 as a result.
- Received complaints about the fence at cemetery on Peabody Pond Road being down. Jim Smith stated he will address this issue.
- Stated that there is a big limb that needs to be cleaned up at the Haley Cemetery on Convene. Jim Smith stated he will address this issue.
Ann Farley reported/commented on the following:
- Tree down by the old school house that need to be cleaned up.
- Received a “thank you” from Roberta Douglas thanking the Board for the Food Pantry Appropriation.
- Informed the Board that she will not be present at the next Board Meeting. Tim Mayberry will be chairing the meeting.
Phil Lowe stated he was very disappointed with the district. He stated they are defensive and not negotiating. The district is unwilling to guarantee school acceptance. It was stated that a meeting should be held with “Friends of Sebago Elementary” to bring them up to date. As of this meeting no date had been set. Recorder’s Note: As of the typing of these minutes, it was discovered that a meeting will be held on Thursday, September 29th at 7pm at Sebago Elementary.
Phil Lowe made a motion to adjourn at 8:00 pm. It was seconded by Tim Mayberry. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas