CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by Chairman, Ann Farley at 6:00 pm.
I. ROLL CALL
Present were: Selectmen; Ann Farley, Chris Parker, Tim Mayberry, Phil Lowe, Town Manager; Jim Smith, Town Clerk & Recorder; Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present were: Code Enforcement Officer; Brandon Woolley and Phil Strike.
II. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA
Ann Farley suggested making New Business: Town Manager Search, the first item on the agenda. Also, added the following to New Business:
B. Signing of the January 24, 2017 Referendum
C. Setting a Public Hearing date for the Referendum
III. WRITTEN COMMUNICATION
A. Approval of the October 18, 2016 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes
Ann Farley made a motion to approve the October 18, 2016 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Phil Lowe. Motion carried.
IV. COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC
V. OLD BUSINESS
A. Town Hall Kitchen Issues
Jim Smith asked Code Enforcement Officer, Brandon Woolley, to address this issue. Brandon stated that even though the State of Maine grants Home Rule Authority, the federal government reserves the right to withhold state funds when states don’t comply with certain rules. In stating this, Brandon said that there are specific rules which apply to Food Service (which would apply when town suppers are being held). It was suggested that the town replace the stove, but begin making long range plans to fix the kitchen and bring it to code. Tim Mayberry made a motion to have the Town Manager acquire two quotes, one for a new stove with a griddle, and one for an exhaust hood including installation. It was seconded by Ann
Farley. Motion carried with Chris Parker opposing.
VI. NEW BUSINESS
A Town Manager Search Process-Neal Allen
Neal Allen outlined the consulting services he would provide should he be hired to assist the Town in finding a new Town Manager. He presented the Board with items they should be thinking about before and during the process that will meet their timeline and budget.
Phil Lowe made a motion to accept Neal Allen’s proposal, and to hold a workshop on November 17, 2016 at 6pm to begin discussions. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried. Phil Lowe asked Neal to come up with a salary range for Town Manager that would be comparable to a community of similar size.
B. Signing of the January 24, 2017 Special Town Meeting Referendum
Ann Farley made a motion to sign the January 24, 2017 Special Town Meeting Referendum. It was seconded by Tim Mayberry. Motion carried.
C. Setting a Date for a Public Hearing on the Issue of the Special Town Meeting Referendum.
Phil Lowe made a motion to set the Public Hearing for January 4, 2017 at 7 pm, with a snow date of January 11, 2017 at 7 pm. It was seconded by Tim Mayberry. Motion carried.
VII. REPORTS FROM TOWN OFFICALS
A. Town Manager
Jim Smith had nothing to report.
Chris Parker had the following comments/questions:
- Asked Jim how long the porta potties at the Historical Society, Peabody Pond, Town Beach and Douglas Mountain would remain. Jim stated that all porta potties are being winterized, except for the one at Douglas Mountain which gets used during the winter months. We do not pay for the winterized ones.
- Asked if we could get an alphabetized log book for the Transfer Station.
Tim Mayberry had the following comments/questions:
- Asked Jim if he had contacted MDOT regarding the shoulders on Route 107. Jim stated he had and they have begun working on them.
Ann Farley had the following comments/questions:
- Asked Jim when Arthur’s Memorials would begin working on the stones. Jim replied they would be starting this week and hopes to be done by November 15th.
- Asked if the Ordinance Review Committee had met. Phil Lowe replied they are hoping to have the first meeting the 3rd Wednesday in November.
Phil Lowe had the following comments/questions:
- Feels the kitchen upgrades should be CIP item.
- Stated he would like CIP to have two meetings before Thanksgiving and the two meetings after. By doing so, the budget season can begin in early January.
- Looking at the Withdrawal Committee’s finances, they are quickly running out of funds, therefore, they might want to defer some legal counsel till after the referendum in January.
- Withdrawal Committee- Tim had no update.
Ann Farley made a motion to adjourn at 7:35 pm. It was seconded by Phil Lowe. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas