CALL TO ORDER
I. ROLL CALL
Present were Selectmen: Ann Farley, Edythe Harnden, Phil Lowe, Chris Parker, Town Manager; Jim Smith, Town Clerk & Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas. Guests present were: Bette-Jean Espeaignette, Donelle Allen, Rita Dolloff, Jim Libby, Philip Strike, June Johnson, and Rita Dolloff, Leslie Barrett, Fire Chief Ken Littlefield, Jean Charles Soucy, Mike and Judy O’Leary, Code Enforcement Officer, Brandon Woolley, and Town Attorney, Tim Murphy.
II. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA
There were none.
III. WRITTEN COMMUNICATION
A. Approval of the November 1, 2016 Selectmen’s Meeting
Chris Parker made a motion to approve the November 1, 2016 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Phil Lowe. Motion carried.
B. Approval of the November 17, 2016 Selectmen’s Workshop Minutes
Chris Parker made a motion to approve the November 17, 2016 Selectmen’s Workshop Minutes. It was seconded by Phil Lowe. Motion carried.
IV. COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC
Jim Libby stated that the Road Committee should meet in the near future; in addition, Wayne Allen and Ed Fitzgerald need to be appointed to the committee.
V. EXECUTIVE SESSION, PURSUANT TO TITLE 1 § 405 (6) (E) DISCUSSIONS WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
Ann Farley made a motion to go into Executive Session, Pursuant To Title 1 § 405 (6) (E) Discussions With Legal Counsel at 6:03 pm. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
The Board reconvened at 6:40pm, no action was taken during Executive Session.
VI. OLD BUSINESS
A. Town Hall Kitchen Issues
Jim Smith stated two quotes were received:
- General Carriage, Windham, ME.
A Royal 10 burner, 2 ovens with griddle for $4,789.41
- Pete’s Restaurant Equipment, Ctr. Conway, NH
An American 10 burner, 2 ovens with griddle for $3,924.
Price does include delivery and installation. The various groups present stated they did not need a griddle, as they had their own. There was discussion regarding whether or not a hood and exhaust were needed. CEO, Brandon stated that because this was a replacement, a hood and exhaust was not required. It was stated that the kitchen should be upgraded with hood, exhaust, and a 4 bay sink at some point. It was suggested that the Board do a site walk of the kitchen and make this a CIP/Budget line item to keep the “project” alive. Ann Farley made a motion to purchase the stove without the griddle from Pete’s Restaurant Equipment in New Hampshire. It was seconded by Phil Lowe. Motion carried with Chris Parker opposing.
VII. NEW BUSINESS
A. CIP-Vault Discussion
Town Clerk, Michele Bukoveckas explained to the Board that she is running out of space to store historic town records. Even though, records are purged according to State Disposition Rules, there are
many records that need to be retained indefinitely. She stated she would like to close off the kitchen at the sink, remove the cupboards and make the room fire retardant with a suppression system. State Archives has guidelines for budgeting and planning to insure
conformity with State Law such as:
- Must be on ground floor
- Planned by a registered engineer
- Specifics for wall construction and material that can be used.
- Door specs
In addition, this room would be used to store State Leased Election Equipment. Phil Lowe made a motion to approve the project for CIP discussion. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
Michele was asked to work with Brandon to get quotes for the next CIP meeting.
Public Safety Building- Ann Farley made a motion to recommend a warrant article to fund the Public Safety Building CIP Account in the amount of $100,000 to be taken from the Undesignated Fund
Balance. It was seconded by Phil Lowe. Motion carried. The $10,000 currently budgeted in CIP would be removed.
Fire Department Equipment-Fire Chief, Ken Littlefield stated he would like to submit an equipment request for CIP consideration. He stated this request is for a Breathing Air Compression System which is used to fill the SCOT Air Packs. Ken stated the current system is old, and it is getting difficult to get replacement parts. The new system has a current cost of $26,889.60. Ann Farley made a motion to approve the Fire Equipment request for CIP discussion. It was seconded by Phil Lowe. Motion carried.
The Board stated that another CIP meeting would be held on January 9, 2017 at 6pm. The Board asked Jim to remind the members of this meeting.
B. Merrifield Circle Discussion
CEO Brandon Woolley stated that the Board approved the Road Acceptance Policy, on October 4, 2016. Since then, the town has received letters from residents on that road as well as the
contractor. He continued to state that Merrifield Circle has been built to the Town’s specifications and inspected by a licensed engineer. Brandon recommended accepting the road for Phase 1, which is a winter plowing trial. Phil Lowe made a motion to follow the Road
Acceptance Policy and do a winter trial on Merrifield Circle. It was seconded by Chis Parker. Motion carried. Jim Smith will add Merrifield Circle to the list of roads to be plowed.
C. Ordinance Review Committee Discussion
Phil Lowe stated that the committee had met. Most of the findings so far are “house cleaning” issues such as language. The biggest concern right now is the Recreational Marijuana Use Law which is
currently under a recount. Brandon stated that this law, should it pass would still violate Federal Law. Brandon suggested that the Town prepare a moratorium in the event the law passes. This moratorium will give the town time to prepare an ordinance. Ann Farley asked Brandon and Jim to work together on this document for the January meeting.
VIII. REPORTS FROM TOWN OFFICALS
A. Town Manager
Jim Smith reported/commented on the following:
- Was notified by MDOT that light paving will occur from Murch Rd to Route 117 (a total of 12.74 miles) and Wards Cove traveling west to West Shore Rd. (a total of 2.13 miles)
- Distributed copies of the RSMS Road Report to the Road Committee Members that were in attendance. Jim Stated that Wayne Allen (Road Foreman) needs to be appointed and that Ed Fitzgerald expressed interest in joining the committee. Edythe Harnden made a motion to appoint Wayne Allen and Ed Fitzgerald to the Road Committee. It was seconded by Phil Lowe. Motion carried. A meeting date of Tuesday, December 13th at 7:30 am was scheduled at the Town Office.
- There was a break in at Public Works. A crowbar was used and the door was kicked in. It does not appear anything was taken. The door has been fixed and the alarm codes have been changed.
- Had to dismiss a Public Works employee. This leaves 3 people in the department. Currently he has no plans to fill the position. In the event it is needed, Jim stated that he does have 4 people he can call to plow this winter if needed.
Michele Bukoveckas stated she had received the School District Budget schedule. In the past, the budget meeting and validation of the budget both occurred in May, with the election of Town officials occurring at the same time. This allowed for the newly elected officials to be sworn in at the Annual Town Meeting. This year, the budget meeting is in May with the validation of the budget occurring on June 6th. This is most likely to concur with the State Referendum Election to save money. Michele asked the Board if they wanted to follow the Schools schedule, or to hold a separate election in May to elect the officers. It was stated, by waiting for the June 6th date, the officers will be sworn in during
a Selectmen’s meeting as opposed to Town Meeting. She added that knowing the date to hold the election is critical to the availability of nomination papers. The Board stated they will hold the Town Election on June 6, at the same time as the School Budget Validation and State Election.
Chris Parker had nothing to report or comment.
Edythe Harnden had nothing to report or comment.
Phil Lowe commented/reported on the following:
- Asked Jim if he had confirmed a request from Ted Greene regarding the taxes paid by Inner Island. If the whole island is in Sebago, but they are paying some taxes to Naples, Sebago should ask for reimbursement.
- Would like to verify if Camp O AT KA is claiming ownership of Outer Island.
- Noticed in the November 1st Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes, Jim Smith was supposed to get quotes for fire suppression and hood for the new stove at the Town Hall. He would like to have these figures for the next meeting.
Ann Farley commented/reported the following:
- Frank Merritt replaced the light bulb on the light at the Sebago Veteran’s Memorial Park.
Ann Farley made a motion to adjourn at 8:05 pm. It was seconded by Phil Lowe. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas