CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order at 5:02 pm by Chairman, Ann Farley.
I. ROLL CALL
Present were Selectmen: Ann Farley, Edythe Harnden, Chris Parker, Town Manager; Jim Smith, Town Clerk and Recorder, Michele Bukoveckas. Selectmen; Tim Mayberry and Phil Lowe joined the meeting at 5:10pm. Guests present were: Jim Libby, Code Enforcement Officer; Brandon Woolley, Recreation Director; Denise Olsen and David Hague.
II. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA
Recreation Department will be discussed after comments from the public.
III. WRITTEN COMMUNICATION
A. Approval of the January 3, 2017 Selectmen’s Meeting
Chris Parker made a motion to approve the January 3, 2017 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
B. Approval of the January 26, 2017 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes From Executive Session, Pursuant to Title 1 § 405 (6) (A) to Discuss a Personnel Matter.
Chris Parker made motion to approve the January 26, 2017 Selectmen’s Meeting Minutes. It was seconded by Edythe Harnden. Motion carried.
IV. COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC
Jim Libby stated that he had some questions regarding recent additions to the CIP list.
- Cascade System. The Fire Department is requesting $25,000. Does this amount represent the whole system?
- Vault for Clerk’s Office. Would like a “firm number”. It was stated that the door was supposed to be purchased this year, but it appears the door is no longer being manufactured. Brandon stated he spoke with State Archives and the State is revamping their guidelines. Basically, all that is needed is a two hour fire door and 4 inch masonry walls. It was requested that more solid figures be obtained.
V. OLD BUSINESS
A. Follow up Discussion for Town Hall Kitchen Site Walk
Ann Farley, Phil Lowe, Jim Smith and Jerry Holt attended the Site Walk and made the following observations:
- Fix light covers in the gym.
- Remove clutter
- Purchase a 3 bay sink with an additional small sink for hand washing.
- Signage needs to be done relating to use of bathrooms.
- Work on Rules and Regulations for use.
It was noted that the old stove was removed and the new one is in place. It has not been hooked up yet, but will in the very near future.
VI. NEW BUSINESS
A. Dedication of Annual Report
The Board was asked to start thinking about whom they would like to dedicate the report to this year. This issue will be revisited at the next meeting.
B. Re-Evaluation Discussion
Michele went over an email from the Assessor’s Agent, John O’Donnell. According to John, although our ratio is good, we are approaching 18 years since the last reval. The town would have to commit this year for a reval to be done in 2019. Jim Smith stated he spoke with Mike Rogers from Maine Revenue Services Property Tax Division, and he stated that the Town’s quality rating is under 20 and the certified ratio is above 70%, therefore we are consistent with State Law, so the town could delay. It was stated that currently, Revise Tax Tables is listed as fully funded in CIP. This item will have to return to the list to be funded, as a reval currently would cost $136,000.
C. Public Works Budget Discussion
- 30-02-25-07 Paving. Jim Smith went over the Public Works budget and stated that in order to complete the next roads on the list, an increase in paving would be needed.
Phil Lowe made a motion to budget $200,000 for paving. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
- 30-04-25-09 Sand/Gravel. It was stated this amount was decreased by $21,000 at town meeting this year due to the mild winter last year. The sand/salt supply is already 2/3 gone. He feels that this line item needs to be brought back up to previous figures. Tim Mayberry made a motion to budget $75,000 for sand/gravel. It was seconded by Phil Lowe. Motion carried.
- 30-02-11-03 Equipment Rental. It was stated that bush-hogging needs to be done, and that the current budget does not even cover the machine rental. Ann Farley made a motion to budget $3,500 for equipment rental. It was seconded by Tim Mayberry. Motion carried.
- 30-08-11-13 Hazardous Waste. Ann Farley made a motion to budget $6,000 for hazardous waste and to have a bulky waste day on alternating years from hazardous waste. It was seconded by Tim Mayberry. Motion carried.
Michele stated that the auditors made a note in the financials that stated 3 articles were over-drawn in last year’s budget. The budget as a whole was underspent, but regarding approved articles, 3 were overdrawn. Therefore, Michele presented the board with a budget summary in Article format. This will allow the Board to see where the budget stands in regard to what was approved at town meeting.
D. Recreation Budget Discussion
Denise Olsen went over the programs she offered this year along with costs associated with those programs. She stated that this was her first year as Recreation Director and that it was a learning process. She now feels confident in the programs she offers and has come up with some cost savings for this coming year. She stated that her biggest budget increase is in wages as she needs more hours if she is going to make the programs successful.
Jim Smith stated that some of the Beach Attendant wages could be combined into the Recreation Director’s wages. The Board felt that a beach attendant was very important, especially with the swimming area and boat traffic. There was a general consensus that the beach attendant hours could be restructured to better accommodate busy times. Recommendations was made that the beach attendant be present Memorial Weekend, and then start again the last week of June through Labor Day, with perhaps 1 or 2 hours here and there just to “check”. Tim Mayberry suggested that the attendant keep a log of visits, noting date, time and traffic notes. This will help budget needed hours next year. It was stated that Public Works will have to check daily for trash pickup.
VII. REPORTS FROM TOWN OFFICALS
A. Town Manager
Jim Smith reported/commented on the following:
- An abutting land owner of Douglas Mountain would like to grant an easement to the town from his land to the Douglas Mountain Parking Lot. The Board stated they were not interested.
Chris Parker, Tim Mayberry and Phil Lowe had nothing to report.
Edythe Harnden commented/reported on the following:
- Feels that employees should be given maybe 2 snow days to use at their digression when road conditions are not good. It was stated that currently, when work is called off prior to the work day, an employee uses a sick day or vacation day for compensation. In the event that employees are sent home after coming in, they are paid for the whole day as regular wages. Ann stated that the policy committee will meet to discuss.
Ann Farley commented/reported on the following:
- The Board will meet for an Executive Session on February 21st at 6pm. The meeting will be posted.
Phil Lowe made a motion to adjourn at 7:35pm. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried.
Michele A. Bukoveckas