SEBAGO BOARD OF SELECTMEN’S MEETING
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2017
ALL REGULAR BOARD OF SELECTMEN MEETINGS ARE HELD
THE 1ST AND 3RD TUESDAY OF EACH MONTH.
PUBLIC HEARING ON 2017 GENERAL ASSISTANCE MAXIMUM LEVELS OF ASSISTANCE
Chairman, Ann Farley opened the public hearing at 6:00 pm. General Assistance Administrator, Edythe Harnden stated that the income levels and maximum levels of assistance are lower this year than last year’s figures. She stated that the Town does have a Fuel Fund to assist households with heating needs in the event they do not qualify for General Assistance. There were no further comments; the public hearing was closed at 6:04 pm.
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by Chairman Ann Farley at 6:04 pm.
I. ROLL CALL
Present: Selectmen; Ann Farley, Edythe Harnden, Chris Parker, Town Manager, Michele Bukoveckas, Deputy Clerk and Recorder, Desirae Bachelder
Absent: Phil Lowe, Tim Mayberry
Guests present: Code Enforcement Officer, Brandon Woolley, Deborah Howard, Marcia Christensen, Norma Sicotte, Jock MacGregor, and Jerry Holt.
II. ADJUSTMENTS TO THE AGENDA
Lake Region ATV Club Access Route Request will be tabled until the next meeting.
III. WRITTEN COMMUNICATION
- Approval of the September 19, 2017 Selectmen Meeting Minutes
Edie Harnden made a motion to approve the September 19, 2017 meeting minutes. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried with all in favor.
IV. COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC
There were none.
V. OLD BUSINESS
- Dock Management Area Rules Policy
The Selectmen and CEO Brandon Woolley discussed the proposed Dock Policy for Spider View Rd.
Ann Farley made a motion that no docks be allowed on town roads and right-of-ways. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried with all in favor. There was a question about docks on Bachelder Brook Road and if they are
on town property. It was stated that the Town does not own property on Bachelder Brook.
VI. NEW BUSINESS
- Adoption of the 2017 General Assistance Maximum Levels of Assistance
Edie Harnden made a motion to accept the General Assistance Maximum Levels of Assistance for the 2017-2018 year. It was seconded by Ann Farley. Motion carried with all in favor.
Lake Region ATV Club Access Route Request
- Sign Warrant for the November 7, 2017 School Withdrawal Referendum
Ann Farley made a motion to sign the School Withdrawal Referendum warrant. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried with all in favor.
- Discuss Potential CIP Items
The Selectmen discussed a CIP Request from Public Works for a tag-along chipper. The Selectmen would like more information about Public Work’s request for the next Selectmen’s meeting.
The Selectmen discussed a CIP Request from the Fire Department for Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus’s to replace the current 15 year old packs. Ann Farley made a motion to pass the Fire Department’s request on to the CIP Committee. It was seconded by Edie Harnden. Motion carried with all in favor.
The Selectmen discussed a CIP Request from Sebago EMS for sleeping quarters. Now that they have gone to 24 hour coverage, State law requires sleeping quarters be provided. Ann Farley made a motion to pass on the EMS request to the CIP Committee. It was seconded by Edie Harnden. Motion carried with all in favor.
The Selectmen discussed a CIP Request from the Historical Society for building improvements (climate control, chemical toilet, etc.). The Selectmen asked that Michele look into a handicap porta potty, and denied passing the request on to CIP.
VII. REPORTS FROM TOWN OFFICALS
- Town Manager
- The Town of Baldwin will be sharing the training costs of the new animal control officer.
- “Curb your dog” signs are up!
- Will speak with Wayne to make sure the fall clean-ups and mowing are completed for Veteran’s Day.
- Peabody Pond Cemetery gate has been fixed.
- Pitstop looked at the stove at the Town Hall. They made some adjustments, but stated that the line may need to be replaced as it is too small for this stove. A second tank will be placed at the repeater as this location may be difficult to service in the winter. Town Hall, Station 2 & 3 are on auto delivery. Generators will be placed on call unless you have a schedule set. Suburban will be picking up the tanks and issuing us a credit.
- The Town dock has been removed. According to the Town Manager’s List Serve, Memorial Day to Columbus Day seems to be the norm.
- Looking at a new alarm system/provider. Our current system is old and is starting to fail. May have to do 1 building at a time. An RFP has been sent out.
- The sills at the Historical Society need to be fixed. One quote is for $1,500-$3,500 depending on what they discover along the way. It was recommended that the building really should be on a frost wall. I will be speaking with the Society on making this and potentially other projects CIP items. I am also getting a quote to fix the cupula next spring.
- The current server is starting to show its age (6 years old) (replaced 1 of the hard drives, others are starting to fail). The company is willing to credit us this past service. Funds are available in this year’s budget and CIP to replace it this year therefore, it is scheduled to be replaced next Wednesday. I anticipate little disruption.
- A new refrigerator has been purchased for the Town Hall. Looking into prices for a 3 bay sink. In looking at the outside of the building, I noticed part of the flashing is missing, so I will be looking at fixing that as well.
- RFPs for the solar array went out on October 12th.
- Talking with Fairpoint about phone services.
- Hired Ernest Poulos for Public Works to replace Devon.
- Next BOS meeting will have to be held in small room or Sta. 1 as elections will be occurring in this room.
Michele suggested changing the next Selectmen meeting date to November 14, to follow the Cable Franchise Public Hearing. The Board agreed.
- I would like to attend the Leadership Academy at SMCC. It is a 7-week course that meets 1 day every other week for 7 weeks. The cost is $500. This could come out of the mileage budget. I feel this would be beneficial to me and the Town of Sebago.
- Looks like paving Anderson Rd might happen this week. Spoke to Wayne about the pads at the transfer station being finished (connecting pad to pavement) He will contact D & R. They will be mixing winter sand/salt this week.
- Had a request for a sign below (either like the Veteran’s Park or digital) for this area of town. I explained that the maintenance and plowing around the sign may be an issue, but I am still bringing this before you so I can give him an answer.
- Veteran’s Day falls on a Saturday this year and according to our personnel policy the preceding Friday is the holiday so the Town office and Public Works will be off that Friday for a long weekend.
- The remaining trustees of Haley Cemetery have been identified, town attorney, Tim Murphy is going to draw up a quitclaim deed and add that any trust funds or monies that they have will be transferred to the town as well. He will have the trustees sign a bill of sale.
- I have also had a request that all meetings be televised. It is something we can talk about in the future.
Chris Parker had nothing to report.
Edie Harnden had nothing to report.
Ann Farley had nothing to report.
- Ordinance Review Committee
Jerry Holt stated that documents printed by the Withdrawal Committee should be identified as being paid for by Town of Sebago taxpayer dollars.
Edie Harnden made a motion to adjourn at 6:58 pm. It was seconded by Chris Parker. Motion carried with all in favor.