Skip Navigation
Sebago Maine Town Seal
This table is used for column layout.
 
Community Disaster Committee Minutes 12/12/2006
Community Disaster Committee

Minutes of Committee Meeting, Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m.

Members present:  Carol Brown, Robert Nicholson, Allen Crabtree, Anita Chadbourne, and Jason Schoolcraft.

Members absent: Ken Littlefield, Tim Smith

Guests present:  Corinne Davis, Chris Harrington
                

1.      Minutes from November 17, 2006 meeting were distributed and approved

2.      Members – The Selectmen have appointed the members for the current year.

3.      Generators – Alan Greene inquired and found that the surplus generator is no longer available.  Jason Schoolcraft thought that a 30kw generator would take care of the emergency power needs for the Old Town Hall.  The original plan for wiring all three town buildings to one common generator was discussed and the committee felt that having one generator for the Old Town Hall was the way to go, at least for now.  The Fire Station has its own emergency power, and a portable can be brought to the Town Offices if necessary – it is already wired for a generator to be hooked up.

Action item – Jason will check into the cost of a 30kw generator, installation and a pad for one at the Old Town Hall and bring figures back to the next committee meeting.

4.      Old town hall renovations – The group toured the Recreation Director’s office and storage space behind it.  It was felt that the office would be ideal for a shelter office to check people in, and that the back room would be easily converted to a shelter operations center.  Corinne said that she rarely uses the office and that she would see about storing the recreation items in the back room somewhere else.

The committee felt that a separate entrance to the shelter command center would be advisable and recommended that it is built as part of the renovations to be done.  

Action items – Robert will develop with Richard the costs for renovations to the Old Town Hall, including restoring the showers, drainage, and a new exit door. There also needs to be estimates made for setting up an office, with wiring, phone and Internet connections, setting up the communications tower, and renovation of the projection booths.  

Action item - Carol will follow up on a request for 100 cots and blankets from George at MEMA.  Also communications gear from George.  She suggested storage tubs for the blankets to keep them clean and free from vermin, and will check into costs.

5.      Items not addressed:  

Shelter supplies – Medical kits were discussed.  The one available to general shelter use should be basic first aid items.  A more comprehensive medical kit would be assembled and would be in the shelter operations center, for use by trained emergency medical personnel.  It was recommended that an AED be purchased to have on hand at the shelter, in a wall-mounted case with an alarm.

Action items - Anita will work with Tim to develop the list of medical supplies for a first aid kit and a medical kit.  Costs for an AED will also be obtained.

6.      Next meeting – The next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, January 10, 2007 at 6:30 p.m. at the town offices.  At that meeting everyone should bring cost estimates for renovations, supplies, capital items, etc.  Town budget deliberations for the FY07-08 budget start soon and we need to be able to make our recommendations to the Budget Committee.

At our next meeting Morgan Bickerstaff from the American Red Cross will be attending to do the annual inspection and give any additional recommendations on what we need to do during our renovations, etc.

Meeting adjourned at 7:30 p.m.