Skip Navigation
Sebago Maine Town Seal
This table is used for column layout.
 
2004/01/29 Minutes
Sebago Fire Station Committee
Minutes of Meeting
January 29, 2004

Chairman David McCarthy called meeting to order at 18:30 hours.

Attendance:

Members present - David McCarthy, Maurice Davies, David Hague, Ken Littlefield
Members not present - Ed Fitzgerald, Mitch Manseau
Non-members present – Allen Crabtree, Bob Irish

Old Business

1.      Minutes

Minutes from the January 14, 2004 meeting were approved as drafted, with comments from Dave McC.  Motion by Ken and seconded by Maurice.  Approved.

2.       State Fire Marshall

Ken has not a chance to talk to the State Fire Marshall about their helping with our needs assessment.  There is no longer a need to do so.

3.      Update on Neil Courtney

Neil is on vacation and will be back in a couple of weeks.  David McC has checked on the credentials of Neil’s organization.  Neil has proposed to (1) assess existing apparatus and mutual aid apparatus available, (2) assess the town’s response time, and (3) assess existing and future facilities for the fire department.  

There was discussion about how best to use Neil’s time and experience.  David H favors paying for his travel time and sitting down with him to get his views based on the data that the committee has gathered to date.  The need to move quickly was voiced by several at the table because of the ongoing budget and CIP review process.  

4.      Status of Station 2 land survey

Survey is in progress. Maurice said that DPW had provided assistance in locating corner pins for the surveyor.  There was discussion about what products would be forthcoming from the survey, since there are different types of surveys.  The committee desires to have pins driven at the lot corners and a sketch of the lot done by the surveyor.  David McC will check with Mitch to have things firmed up.



5.      Handouts

Allen provided run sheet summaries for all 2003 fire calls, as well as an updated location map for where the calls came from.  Allen also distributed the initial draft of the vehicle and facilities requests that the Fire Department proposes to submit to the CIP process.  Ken will be meeting with the CIP working group next week to discuss further.  The committee discussed the items on the facilities list.  David H suggested that non-capital items (under $7,500) would be included in the Fire Department or DPW maintenance budget for FY04-05, and that items over $7,500 that would be completed in FY04-05 would be considered as a warrant article and would not be a CIP item.  The CIP items are those of a longer-term nature where money can be set aside to pay for them.  The long-term recommendations for a future fire station would be a CIP item.  David H suggested that Ken remove the price and construction date until the committee has a chance to hear what Neil has to say about it.

New Business

1.       Discussion of immediate needs (furnaces, roofs, chimneys, o/h doors)

David McC reported on inspections made by Ed Foster of the station furnaces based on information that Mitch relayed to David.  

Ed inspected the furnace at Station 1 and he felt that it is fine.  He made no mention of the cracked plenum that a previous inspection had found. Chimney is OK but needs to be strapped.   Furnace at Station 1 has gone out twice this winter for no apparent reason.

Ed says the Station 2 heating system is OK.  

Ed says that the Station 3 furnace works most of the time but chimney needs to be replaced.  If the chimney is replaced the furnace should also be replaced because the furnace needs to be mounted above the ground.  The furnace at Station 3 went out last weekend and Engine 3 was frozen and put out of commission.  The committee commented that the furnace is old and should be replaced with one that is above floor level.  

Maurice suggested that the two furnaces should be replaced as soon as possible (Stations 1 and 3).  He has talked with Ed Foster and was told that furnaces could be purchased for $3,500.  (At the CIP meeting last night Ted Shane said that a furnace and venting system could be purchased for under $4,000).  David McC said that Mitch is working on the numbers, but there was concern expressed that the committee is in a better position to generate cost estimates.  The money needed for the immediate needs should be included in the Public Works budget earmarked for fire station repairs.  David H said that the committee needs to make sure that the money is in the town budget somewhere.

Bob commented that these immediate needs (furnaces, windows, roof, chimneys) are maintenance related and should be included in the Public Work Department’s budget and does not need to be a committee recommendation to the Selectmen.  David McC said that the committee needs to be concerned about these immediate and short-term needs of the fire stations as well as the long-term needs.  David H said that they should be treated separately, acknowledging that there is much to be done before a long-term recommendation can be made on a new fire station.

David McC said that the committee would prepare a memo to the Selectmen listing the immediate needs that should be addressed.

Maurice said that the committee should make recommendations for the immediate repairs to the stations (heating systems), and also for short-term and long-term needs.  The long-term fire station question would be included in the CIP.  He also recommended going for a hot-water boiler for Station 1 rather than just replacing the oil hot-air furnace now there.

2.      Discussion of short-term needs (Station 1 addition of bathrooms, water, training room)

There was discussion about what and how should be done to meet the short-term needs at Station 1.  The Committee would make recommendations to the Selectmen for a warrant article.  Since the addition would be built in the next year it would be a warrant article not a CIP item to be funded over several years.

It should be separate from the long-term proposal for possibly a new station – the latter would be included in the CIP program since it would be funded over several years.  Allen suggested that until the studies are done, the committee doesn’t know if, when, where, how big, or how expensive a new station would be, but it should be included in the CIP process as a “page holder”.  David H agreed about putting the new fire house on the CIP list, but recommends that it have no $ or dates assigned to it until Neil’s survey is complete.  Since the budget process is just starting, there would be time if Neil’s survey is done by mid-April.

3.      Discussion of needs  

David McC said that the committee should review the list of needs and items on the list whether they are immediate, short-term, or long-term to make sure there is agreement.  It was agreed that immediate and short-term would be in the next fiscal year.  Bob felt that “immediate” meant that there is a need to do it right away.

Here is the list from the December 3 minutes:


Location
Action
Classification
Consensus of committee
Station 3, North Sebago
Replace aging furnace
Immediate
Yes – FY04-05
Station 3, North Sebago
Repair leaking roof
Immediate
N/A – Repairs Done
Station 3, North Sebago
Repair/replace chimney
Immediate
Yes – FY04-05
Station 2, East Sebago
Repair O/H doors
Done
N/A- Repairs Done
Station 2, East Sebago
Replace O/H doors and widen doorways
Short-Term
Delete from list
Station 2, East Sebago
Provide potable water supply
Long-Term
Resolve New Fire Station question first
Station 2, East Sebago
Install shower and wash area
Long-Term
Resolve New Fire Station question first
Station 2, East Sebago
Bring meeting room up to code by installing handicap access and second exit
Long-Term
Resolve New Fire Station question first
Station 1, Center Sebago
Replace aging furnace
Immediate
Yes – FY04-05
Station 1, Center Sebago
Repair chimney
Immediate
Yes – FY04-05
Station 1, Center Sebago
Provide a potable water supply
Short-Term
Yes – FY04-05
Station 1, Center Sebago
Install a bathroom
Short-Term
Yes – FY04-05
Station 1, Center Sebago
Install a shower and wash area
Short-Term
Yes – FY04-05
Station 1, Center Sebago
Install a septic system
Short-Term
Yes – FY04-05
Station 1, Center Sebago
Build a meeting/training room
Short-Term
Under Discussion


The committee agreed that the repairs to be done on Station 3 are immediate needs, to be done in this next fiscal year.  Repairs would be made to the furnace, chimney, roof repair and windows.  

The committee discussed the appropriateness of spending money on replacing the doors at Station 2.  Ken didn’t feel that it would be prudent to spend possibly $10,000 on redoing the doors and enlarging the front of the build when no decision has been made on the ultimate future of Station 2.  David McC agreed.  

There was agreement by the committee that the bathroom, shower, septic and water supply for Station 1 are needed this next year.  Maurice will come up with estimated costs for these facilities, with a couple of options for consideration of the committee next time.  

The committee discussed the immediate need for a training room.  David McC felt that there were enough meeting rooms available in the town now, and building a new training room at the fire station would not be needed and would be a hard sell.  David H said that the present Station 2 training room should not continue to be used, for decency and safety concerns.  Ken said that the fire department training needs to be located close to the apparatus, and should not be separate.  David H suggested that Ken come back next time with more justification for a training room on Station 1, and suggested it be tabled till then.

The discussion will continue at the next meeting so that the committee can bring recommendations to the Selectmen for warrant articles, etc.

4.      Next Meeting

At the next meeting the committee will discuss the following items:

·       Mitch and David McC will provide an update on Neil Courtney on his survey, and of the land survey at Station 2.

·       Ken will prepare costs and recommendations for review of the committee on the immediate maintenance items at Stations 1 and 3 as agreed to by the committee, for inclusion in the FY04-05 DPW budget.

·       The committee will continue the discussion on the modifications agreed to for Station 1 in FY04-05 in order to reach consensus on one or more options with cost estimates

a.      Maurice and Ed will prepare cost estimates for septic options, including a new drain field/septic system and gravity feed and a force pump into an expansion of the existing drain field.
b.      Maurice and Ed will prepare cost estimates for the options of a new well vs. tying into the existing water system at the town offices.
c.      Maurice and Ed will prepare cost estimates for bathroom, washing, and shower facilities.

·       The committee will continue the discussion on the need for a training room at Station 1 in FY04-05 to reach a consensus

a.      Ken will prepare arguments to justify the need for a training room at Station 1 vs. using other town meeting facilities
b.      Maurice and Ed will provide cost estimates for various size additions to Station 1 for a bathroom only, and for a bathroom and training room.

·       The committee will discuss the presentation to the Selectmen of its recommendations, for their consideration of items for the FY04-05 budget cycle.

Next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, February 25, at 18:30 hrs.   

Meeting was adjourned at 20:20 hours.