Skip Navigation
Sebago Maine Town Seal
This table is used for column layout.
 
2003/12/03 Minutes
Sebago Fire Station Committee
Minutes of Meeting
December 3, 2003

Chairman David McCarthy called meeting to order at 19:04 hours.

Attendance:

Members present - David McCarthy, Maurice Davies, David Hague, Ken Littlefield, Ed Fitzgerald
Members absent – Mitch Manseau
Non-members present – Allen Crabtree

Old Business

Minutes from the November 12, 2003 meeting were approved as drafted.  Motion by David McC and seconded by Ed.  Approved.

New Business

1.      Fire Needs Assessment

David McCarthy had received a letter proposal from Neil Courtney.  David passed the copy of the proposal around to the committee and asked for comments.  Neil proposes to first look at the fleet of apparatus in the fire department, and apparatus available in surrounding towns for mutual aid.  The second part of the study would look at station locations.  A third part would look at the functionality of the present buildings and how it relates to modern fire protection.  David Mc will be in communication with Neil about the proposal and fees.

Ed wanted to know if the Committee could do some of the parts of the study and then present the findings to Neil for a critical review and recommendations.

2.      NFPA Title 1720

Ed has a copy.  This Title covers volunteer fire department organization, administration and record keeping.  It has nothing to do with apparatus and facilities other than the chief is responsible for maintaining equipment.  It doesn’t include any recommendations for minimum response times.  Title 1710 is for professional fire departments

3.      Funding Questions

David H said that we should first find out how much any studies will cost before going to the Selectmen for funding.  It is not clear whether any of the $29,000 in the firehouse reserve account is available for these purposes.  David Mc said that his conversation with Ed Marks at EMCC seemed to indicate that a study for a town the size of Sebago would run $3-4,000.  David Mc will follow up to clarify costs and scope of the study.  

John Cleveland, a design consultant for the Cornish Fire Department’s new station, has been in contact with David Mc.  John can handle everything from funding, grants, bonding, architectural design and plans, etc.  David Mc told John to check back after the first of the year.

David McC has started to look at the potential funding that might be available from previous study efforts.  David H said that if planning was funded as part of an annual meeting line item, and if there were any funds unspent for the project would go back to the town’s general fund.

David H said that the land survey of Station 2 property could possibly be paid out of the Town’s legal account.

There was discussion on the CIP program and how the Fire Department equipment and maintenance fits into it.  Any purchase of over $7,500 with a useful life of 3 years or more would be included in the CIP program.  The average useful life of apparatus will be looked at so that the CIP can include plans for replacement of equipment.  Ed commented that Steve Willis at SMCC has figures on the useful life of fire apparatus.  If a truck has 60,000 miles on it is considered an “old truck”.  A meeting will be held to consider the CIP on December 16.

David H said that realistically the Committee should plan on making a request for planning funds and land surveys this year, plans and recommendations for immediate station needs at the town meeting in June, and to plan ahead for any new building as part of the CIP in future years.

4.      Immediate, Short-term, and Long-term needs

The Committee discussed immediate needs, short term needs and long term needs for the three stations.  Immediate needs are maintenance items that should be done this fiscal year using existing funding.  Short-term needs are those items that should be funded and done in the next fiscal year.  Long-term needs are items that need to be weighed and considered, and if done would be funded later than next fiscal year. Depending on the their cost long-term items may be included in the CIP.

Maurice said that we should address the immediate needs for this year and plan to budget for any new station over perhaps 5 years to have most of the money in the bank when it is needed for construction.  David H modified that thought and suggested that there were intermediate, or short-term needs as well as immediate and long-term needs, and that these short-term needs should be done next year.


A list of actions that the Committee has identified at each of the three stations was compiled, and classified as to whether each action was of an immediate/short-term/long-term nature.



Location
Action
Classification
Station 3, North Sebago
Replace aging furnace
Immediate
Station 3, North Sebago
Repair leaking roof
Immediate
Station 3, North Sebago
Repair/replace chimney
Immediate
Station 2, East Sebago
Repair O/H doors
Immediate
Station 2, East Sebago
Replace O/H doors and widen doorways
Short-Term
Station 2, East Sebago
Provide potable water supply
Long-Term
Station 2, East Sebago
Install shower and wash area
Long-Term
Station 2, East Sebago
Bring meeting room up to code by installing handicap access and second exit
Long-Term
Station 1, Center Sebago
Replace aging furnace
Immediate
Station 1, Center Sebago
Repair chimney
Immediate
Station 1, Center Sebago
Provide a potable water supply
Short-Term
Station 1, Center Sebago
Install a bathroom
Short-Term
Station 1, Center Sebago
Install a shower and wash area
Short-Term
Station 1, Center Sebago
Install a septic system
Short-Term
Station 1, Center Sebago
Build a meeting/training room
Short-Term

Furnace replacement, repairs to the chimney, repairs to the roof and overhead doors are immediate needs and should be done this fiscal year, using this year’s budget.  The Committee will ask Mitch to have Ted Shane get bids for having the immediate needs done.  David H reminded the committee that all of the immediate needs items were identified during a Selectmen’s walk through of the town processes, and that these items were to be taken care of using this year’s maintenance budgets.  The list with bids would be presented for approval at the January 6 Selectmen’s meeting.  

Maurice discussed his concepts for Station 1 modifications based on a tour of the station last week, including the possibility of a new well partway between Station 1 and the old Town Hall.  There is a concern from Public Works that the water system for the old Town Hall is fed from the new Town Hall and is an old line that will have to be replaced at some point in the future.  Planning ahead a new well would serve both facilities.  A septic system could be installed at the edge of the parking lot to serve the Station, and would be preferable to having a pump toilet system installed to slave into the existing field, if that is possible.

Water and septic are needs regardless of what is installed at the Station.  Various sized facilities, including a meeting room, bathroom and shower, would be options.  

If a meeting/training room were added to Station 1 at the same time that a bathroom/shower addition were made, it would be possible to have Fire Department training done there instead of at Station 2.  The meeting room at Station 2 could then be turned into a storage area, and no modifications to provide handicap access and a second means of egress would be required.  The options for making modifications to Station 2 to provide handicap access and another exit are practically non-existent due to the pitch of the roofs and design of the building.  It would probably be cheaper to add the meeting/training room onto Station 1 than to do the renovations at Station 2.

David McC wondered why the Fire Department couldn’t use the old Town Hall for training meetings.  Ken said that much of the training involves the apparatus, and the training room needs to be where the trucks are.  Also there are administrative and financial files, training records and equipment manuals, as well as computer and office equipment that need to be secured and stored at any Fire Department training/meeting room, and there is no provision for storing these records at the old Town Hall.

The Committee discussed making modifications to Station 2 to make it more efficient over the period until a new fire station is planned and funded, which could be five years.  The existing problems of doors that are too narrow for the apparatus stored there could be ameliorated by some structural changes to the front of the building and installing wider overhead doors.  Various options were discussed at some length.

David H suggested that the Committee meet with the new Town Manager as soon as possible to see about using Legal Account funds to have a survey done of the land at Station 2 and having the immediate maintenance items done this year from existing town accounts.

Action Items - Before the next meeting and as soon as possible David Mc C will talk to the Town Manager about:

1.      Having a land survey done of the four town lots at Station 2 to resolve the questions of lot lines and ownership that have been raised by the abutters.  Since this is primarily a town property issue, rather than a firehouse issue, can the survey be funded from the town’s legal account?  Cost of the survey is estimated at $1,200 - $1,500.
2.      Having written bids solicited for immediate maintenance items on the above list, and determining the accounts to pay for repairs this fiscal year.

5.      Next Meeting

Next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, December 18, at 18:30 hrs.    Next time the Committee will review bids received for the immediate work. Meeting was adjourned at 21:25 hours.