Skip Navigation
Sebago Maine Town Seal
This table is used for column layout.
General Assistance
Contact TypeContact Information
General Assistance Administrator
406 Bridgton Rd
Sebago, ME 04029
787-2457 during office hours
Alternate Phone:
Nights and Weekends Call: Cumberland County Dispatch at 1-800-501-1111
1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Additional Links:
Link to Page

General Assistance is a program that provides assistance for basic needs for eligible applicants who can not provide for themselves and their families. General Assistance provides "a specific amount and type of aid for defined needs during a limited period of time and is not intended to be a continuing 'grant-in-aid' or 'categorical' welfare program" (§4301(5)).
Whoever knowingly and willfully makes any false representation of a material fact to the overseer of any municipality or to the department or its agents for the purpose of causing that or any other person to be granted assistance by the municipality or by the State is ineligible for assistance for a period of 120 days and is guilty of a Class E crime. (§4315)
Pursuant to Title 22 MRSA § (4305) the municipal officers have adopted an ordinance which is available for public inspection. Also available for inspection is a copy of the State's General Assistance statutes.
Residents of the Town of Sebago who are having difficulty meeting basic needs such as housing, utilities (electricity and heating fuel), and food may apply for assistance at the Town Office during the following hours:
Tuesdays 1:00 pm. – 3:00 pm
Please call (207) 787-2457 or 1-800-698-4946 X 318
If an emergency occurs outside of these hours, applicants may contact Cumberland County Dispatch 1-800-501-1111
The General Assistance Administrator must issue a written decision regarding eligibility to all applicants within 24 hours of receiving an application.
The Department of Human Services toll-free telephone number to call with a question regarding General Assistance is 1-800-442-6003.
This program is funded by local property taxes with a 50% reimbursement from the state.