The maximum amount of general assistance granted for the purpose of burial is $1,125. Additional costs may be allowed by the GA administrator, where there is an actual cost, for:
· the wholesale cost of a cement liner if the cemetery by-laws require one;
· the opening and closing of the grave site; and
· a lot in the least expensive section of the cemetery.~ If the municipality is able to provide a cemetery lot in a municipally owned cemetery or in a cemetery under municipal control, the cost of the cemetery lot in any other cemetery will not be paid by the municipality.
The municipality’s obligation to provide funds for burial purposes is limited to a reasonable calculation of the funeral director’s direct costs, not to exceed the maximum amounts of assistance described in this section. Allowable burial expenses are limited to:
· removal of the body from a local residence or institution
· a secured death certificate or obituary
· a minimum casket
· a reasonable cost for necessary transportation
· other reasonable and necessary specified direct costs, as itemized by the funeral director and approved by the municipal administrator.
The maximum amount of assistance granted for a cremation shall be $785. Additional costs may be allowed by the GA administrator where there is an actual cost, for:
· a cremation lot in the least expensive section of the cemetery
· a reasonable cost for a burial urn not to exceed $50
· transportation costs borne by the funeral director at a reasonable rate per mile for transporting the remains to and from the cremation facility.