Section 1. Purpose
The purpose of this ordinance is to establish a policy and process for street lights installed and removed by the Town of Sebago. This ordinance establishes a policy and process for the acceptance of a street light installed by an entity other than the Town of Sebago.
Section 2. Street Light Policy
The purpose of street lights owned by the Town of Sebago is to provide for traffic and pedestrian safety along public ways. The major objective is to reduce motor vehicle and pedestrian accidents by illuminating hazards. Street lights shall also be used to illuminate town-owned property for safety purposes. This policy will allow the Town of Sebago to be fiscally responsible in the removal or installation of street lights.
Section 3. Street Light Committee.
The Board of Selectmen of the Town of Sebago shall act as the Street Light Committee to provide a method of determination for the installation or removal of street lights and to assume responsibility of an existing streetlight.
- The Board of Selectmen shall have the authority to consider and recommend action on the need for removal and/or installation of street lights on the public ways of the Town of Sebago.
- The Board of Selectmen shall make its decisions upon findings of fact by a majority vote and a recommendation shall be forwarded to the Town Manager for action.
- The Board of Selectmen may, from time to time, review existing street lights in the Town of Sebago and make recommendations to the Town Manager for removal according to the criteria of this ordinance.
Section 4. Procedure for Street Light Changes.
- Any citizen of the Town of Sebago may request the installation or removal of a street light. Additionally, a citizen may request the Town to assume financial responsibility of an existing street light. The request for a street light shall include the following information:
- An application provided by the Town office and completed by the petitioner
- An identification of the public way and pole on which the requested streetlight would be installed
- A description of the situation demonstrating the need for a streetlight
- Proof of notification of immediate abutters and property owners within a 500 foot radius of the streetlight.
- Upon receipt of the application, the Board of Selectmen shall review the information to evaluate conformance to the purpose and criteria of this ordinance.
- The Board of Selectmen shall make its decision and a recommendation shall be forwarded to the Town Manager for action.
d. The Board of Selectmen shall hold a public hearing and act on the request.
Section 5. Installation, Assumption of Financial Responsibility and Removal.
- The Town of Sebago may install, pay for, or assume financial responsibility for street lights in the following instances:
- Street Intersections
- Dangerous curves
- Dry hydrants
- Public Safety Buildings and Town owned buildings
- Areas with high pedestrian activity
- The Town of Sebago shall not install, pay for assume financial responsibility for street lights in the following instances:
- Illumination of private property
- Illumination of private driveways, business entrances, and entrances to private ways.
Section 6. Severability.
In the event that any section or any portion of this ordinance shall be declared by any court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid for any reason, such decision shall not be effected to affect the validity of any other section or portion of this ordinance. The provisions of this ordinance are hereby declared to be severable.
Section 7. Effective Date.
Notwithstanding any law to the contrary, this ordinance shall take effect as of
Adopted: May 25, 2010
A true copy attest:
Michele A. Bukoveckas, Town Clerk