The term “grievance” means any dispute between an employee and management concerning the effect, interpretation, application or claim of breach of violation of Town of Sebago Employment Rules and Regulations.
Excluded from consideration of grievance are those matters pertaining to: hiring, promotion of personnel, and compensation adjustments, except that regular employees may appeal performance evaluations.
Every attempt should be made to resolve any dispute as soon as possible to the satisfaction of all parties.
Steps in the grievance procedure shall be as follows:
1. An attempt should be made for an oral agreement between the individual and his/her supervisor or department head.
2. If an oral agreement is not reached, the aggrieved may within five (5) working days file a written complaint to the supervisor or department head. The department head or supervisor is required to make a determination of the merits of the complaints and give a written reply within three (3) working days.
3. If the individual is dissatisfied with the department head or supervisor’s written decision, the aggrieved may within three (3) working days make a formal written appeal to the
4. Town Manager. The Town Manager will upon receipt of the written appeal, return a formal written decision within three (3) working days.
5. If the employee is still aggrieved, the employee shall, within five (5) working days, submit in writing to the Town Manager the employee’s grievance for presentation to the Board of Selectmen at their next regularly scheduled meeting. At this meeting the aggrieved employee may make a statement concerning the grievance and may be required to answer any questions that the Board poses relative to the grievance. The Board of Selectmen will notify all parties involved of its decision within ten (10) working days of the final meeting.
6. The employee shall initiate any grievance not later than ten (10) working days after the occurrence of the event giving rise to the grievance, or within ten (10) working days after the time such event became known to the employee, whichever is later. Mutual agreement of the parties concerned is sufficient to extend all time limits in this section.