Skip Navigation
Sebago Maine Town Seal
This table is used for column layout.
 
Planning Board Minutes 07/10/2012
I       Call to Order

Chairman Paul White called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.

Present: Donna Cook, Jim Jansz, Phil Lowe, Joe McMahon, Paul White, Code Enforcement Officer Brandon Woolley, Recorder Maureen Scanlon.

Absent: Dick Perry, Tina Vanasse

Guests present: Jim Libby, Marjie Jansz, Craig Geaumont, Van Hertel, Philip Harnden Sr., Selectmen, Ann Farley and Edythe Harnden.

II      Correspondence

The following correspondence/documentation was distributed to the Planning Board members in their meeting packets;

        DOCUMENTATION:

1.      Documentation on the Sebago Ridge Estates Reimbursement of Fees Discussion.
2.      Documentation on the Official Approval Documentation Discussion (IE: Anderson Gravel Pit Project).

CORRESPONDENCE:

1.      A copy of the Pinkham Greer Fire Pond Letter.
2.      A copy of the Sebago Lake Watershed News.   
3.      A flyer on a “Basic Workshop for Local Planning Boards 2012”.

NOTE: Phil Lowe mentioned to the Board that he previously attended this Local Planning Board workshop and encouraged anyone that is interested in attending to do so.  He stated that he found it to be very helpful as opposed to some of the other programs he has attended in the past.

Copies of these correspondences are included in the Planning Board project files or are attached to and do hereby become a part of the original set of these minutes.
III     Open to Public Questions

        Jim Libby stated that is attending tonight’s meeting to speak to the Board about the Hydrants/Fire Ponds agenda item.  Paul White agreed to allow Jim to speak on this matter during that portion of the meeting instead of starting the conversation at this point and then getting back to it later.    

IV      Review of Minutes (June 12, 2012)

The approval of the June 12, 2012 meeting minutes was “tabled” until the August 14, 2012 meeting.    

V       Old Business

a.      Sebago Ridge Estates Reimbursement of Fees Discussion

Maureen Scanlon explained that this item has been added to the agenda in an effort to review what amounts are correct for reimbursement to Gilbert Homes for the Sebago Ridge Estates subdivision that was recently reverted from 49 lots back to the 3 original lots.  

RECORDER’S NOTE: After the close of this meeting the Board reviewed the file on this matter and determined that all funding from the originally approved phase of the prior subdivision project would be returned to Gilbert Homes, however, only $300.00 of the funding will be returned from the recent payment of $1,080.00 which was the total amount of the “escrow” funds.  The fee of $75.00 for the Preliminary Sketch Plan and the fee of $705.00 for the Lot Fees ($5.00 per acre = 47 acres x 3 lots x $5.00 = $705.00) will be retained by the town.  This information will be forwarded to the Town Clerk for processing of the reimbursement funds.    

b.      Official Approval Documentation Discussion –
(IE: Anderson Gravel Pit Project)

Maureen Scanlon explained that this item has been added to the agenda in an effort to “fine tune” the project approval process.  She made note of the fact that the Andersons have asked her for some sort of Planning Board approval document that they may have for their files.  Donna Cook has helped to develop a “Site Plan Review Decision” form that can be signed at the end of the meeting and a copy can be distributed to the applicant for their records.  There was some discussion on this form and on perhaps making this part of the actual application.  The Board agreed that this would be an asset to the process and suggested adding a section for “Conditions of the Approval” to it.  This document will also be developed for Subdivision Plan Review Decisions.  A copy of this document was filled out and signed by the Board members which will be given to the Andersons for their Gravel Pit Compliance project.        

c.      Goal Setting Items

1.      Voting Matrix (finalizing process)

Paul White suggested starting to use the Voting Matrix this evening for the project that is on the agenda which will help to identify areas that need to be improved on this document.

2.      Generic Specifications for Hydrant/Fire Pond

Paul White invited Jim Libby to speak to the Board on this matter as he requested to earlier.  Jim explained that he owns 76 acres of land on the Hancock Pond Road.  He has built a house on this land and gave a house lot of land to his daughter with the intent of also giving house lots to his grandchildren.  He also intended to use this land towards his retirement and basically sell a lot every five years.  Recently he has heard that there is a proposal to require fire ponds in lieu of sprinklers.  He asked for clarification as the whether or not this was going to be required of every house being built in town or just for subdivisions.  Paul White stated that he does not believe there is any intention of requiring every house to have its own fire pond.  Brandon Woolley stated that the recent review of the Bald Pate View subdivision in which they had requested to install a fire pond as opposed to sprinklers in each building generated a suggestion that the town commit to maintaining the fire ponds that already exist.  At the recent Board of Selectmen meeting, he brought this suggestion before them for their consideration due to the fact that funding would be required in order to do it.  There was quite a bit of discussion on this matter with consideration given to the information outlined in the aforementioned correspondence letter received from Pinkham Greer regarding fire ponds.  Paul White stated that this Board is able to require fire ponds if necessary.  Although they are not usually required for smaller subdivisions, a fee can be imposed in lieu of one which would be put towards fire protection needs throughout the town in general.  He noted that if a lot is split from a piece of property after waiting the required five-year period it would not fall under the subdivision regulations.  Jim Libby stated that he was concerned that this would be extended to every building being built and not just subdivisions.  Phil Lowe stated that he would like to see the Fire Department come up with a policy that they want to back up.  They have the knowledge, and they know the town’s needs.  Paul White summed it up by stating that the best plan would be for the town to assume the responsibility of properly maintaining fire ponds.  However that would involve developing a policy and assigning funding.  That is up to the Board of Selectmen and is not something that this Board would be able to do.                 
  
VI      New Business

a.      Election of Officers (Chair & Vice Chair)

Paul White stated that this was already recently done.  Maureen Scanlon reminded him that the Board thought it would be a good idea to do it again at the start of the new fiscal year and then annually from that point on.  Paul asked if there were any nominations for the Chair position.  

Jim Jansz nominated Phil Lowe as Chair.  There was no second to the motion.  Motion failed.  

With no other nominations being made, Paul White agreed to continue as the Chair.  Phil Lowe will continue as the Vice Chair.  

b.      Subdivision Review – (Pheasant Ridge) Hertel Family LLC –                Map 10, Lot 16 A

Craig Geaumont, the representative for the Hertel Family, and Van Hertel,  
President of Hertel Family LLC explained the history of this property ownership and their plans to split this 9 acre lot into 3 smaller lots.  It was noted that a small section of the original property was sold to an abutter.  Mr. Hertel made note of the fact that they are aware that they would be able to split this lot into two lots, wait a five-year period and then split off the third lot without coming before this Board, however, they would like to proceed with the splitting of the 3 lots at this time if the Board will approve it.  There was quite a bit of discussion on this matter with both Mr. Geaumont and Mr. Hertel answering the Board’s questions.  It was noted that driveway entrances will be added to the plans.  The Subdivision Plan Approval Voting Matrix was referred to for any items that need to be addressed.  There was discussion regarding fire protection for this small subdivision.  It was noted that although a fire pond may not be required, a fee may be imposed by this Board for overall fire protection for the town.  Because of the fact that there is no specific fee amount in the ordinance, the previous small subdivision that the Hertel Family LLC developed on the same road was reviewed for historical knowledge on how the fire protection issue was handled.  It was noted that a fee of $1,000.00 was imposed at that time.  

A Site Walk was scheduled at this location for Sat., July 14, 2012 at 8:00 am.

A Public Hearing will be held on this subdivision project at the next regularly scheduled Planning Board meeting on August 14, 2012.     

It was noted that the $35.00 application filing fee has been paid.

VII     Adjournment

Phil Lowe made a motion to adjourn at 8:15 p.m.  It was seconded by Joe McMahon.  Motion carried with all in favor.

Respectfully Submitted,
8172012_84657_0.png
Maureen F. Scanlon
Administrative Assistant/Deputy Clerk 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000105000000000000