LAKE REGION SCHOOL DISTRICT
November 19, 2012
There was a Regular Meeting of the Lake Region School Board on Monday, November 19, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. at Lake Region Middle School.
GOOD KID AWARDS
Superintendent Beecher welcomed the parents and students to the meeting. She explained that the Good Kid Awards are a huge deal as the qualities the students are being recognized for start at home. They include: positive role model, reliable, trustworthy, respectful, conscientious, consistently helpful, and selfless.
The following students were recognized with a Good Kid Certificate and tee-shirt:
Sebago Elementary School: Tristan Lumburner, Mathilda Amesbury,
Shelby-Lynne Sheldrick, Landen Emery, Lauren Berge, and Averie Smith.
Songo Locks School: Nicholas Hall, Hope Manchester, Hanna Fitzpatrick,
Tyler Jones, Gabriel Lunt, and Gabriel Grace.
Stevens Brook Elementary School – Knight Rivers, Dillon Doucette,
Gwen Gagnon, Abigail Littlefield, Conner Adams, Madelyn McDougall
Lake Region Middle School – Wendy Ducas, Sonya Waligora, Cody Bean,
Addie Blais, and Isabel Brake
Lake Region High School – Garredd Sanborn, Benjamin Lauer,
Isabelle Edwards, Brandon Tibbetts, and Taylor Cronin.
CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
Jody Gray called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Board members
present were: Janice Barter, Beth Chaplin, Karen Eller, Cindy LeBlanc,
Joseph McMahon, Richard Merritt, Peter Morrison, Erica Pond Green,
Philip Shane, and Karla Swanson-Murphy. Elaine Heuiser and
Laurie Mondville were excused.
Administrators present were: Tonya Arnold, June Conley, Kirsten Goff,
Ted Finn, Deborah Howard, Joshua Sturk, Cheryl Turpin, Sherrie Small,
and Kathleen Beecher, Superintendent of Schools.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
A motion was made by Janice Barter, seconded by Karla Swanson-Murphy, to approve the Agenda as presented. Motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Janice Barter, seconded by Karla Swanson-Murphy, to approve the Minutes of November 5, 2012. Motion carried unanimously.
PUBLIC COMMENTS ON AGENDA ITEMS
Sebago Elementary School – Kirsten Goff
- A Kindergarten Thanksgiving celebration will be held on Tuesday,
November 20 at 2:00 p.m.
- At last week’s SES Together, students had ploys that included buckwheat from SES’s garden. Heather Grass and her mother-in-law and George Ryan were thanked for helping to cook the ploys. Students enjoyed grape jelly on the ploys which came from the grapes in Sebago Elementary School’s back yard. There were enough grapes to make jelly for all of the schools.
- On Wednesday, students and staff honored Veterans by singing patriotic songs. Poems and short essays about freedom and honoring our Veterans were shared by Morrigan and Madison, Grade 5 students, and Sandie, Matty, and Mikayla in Grade 4. The Veterans then enjoyed ploys and grape jelly.
- The Stand-up Band will be coming on November 30 to all the elementary schools to perform the same anti-bullying song they performed before staff on the first day of school.
- The holiday concerts will be on December 19 – K-3 at 10:00 a.m. and grades 4-5 along with chorus/band at 1:30 p.m.
- Grade 5 students went to the Portland Museum of Art on November 14.
Songo Locks School – June Conley
- A Veteran’s Day celebration was held and there were over 80 Veterans and visitors in attendance. All students learned patriotic songs. Each Veteran was honored with a pin. It was a very touching experience.
- Staff was fed a turkey dinner. Mr. Dickerson cooked the turkey in trash cans, and included science education. Staff brought in other fixings.
- Holiday concerts will be held on December 12 - grade 1 at 9:30 a.m., K at 1:45 p.m.; Gr. 4 and 5 and Chrous and Band December 13 at 1:45 p.m.; December 14 – grade 2 at 9:30 a.m. and grade 3 at 1:45 p.m.
Stevens Brook Elementary School
- The Harlem Rockets came to the school.
- A Cookie Café will be starting for students not missing much time.
- Students in grades 4 and 5 are working on a composting project which ties in with their curriculum. Peelings from the fruits and vege program are used in the compost pile. Mark from Mark’s Lawn and Garden taught students how to compost.
- Holiday concerts will be held on December 20.
Lake Region Middle School
- Parent Teacher Conferences have been scheduled.
- Upcoming events:
- December 12 – Holiday Concert
- Honors Assembly – December 20
- Holiday Concert – December 21
- Geography Bee – January 3 at 2:00 p.m.
- Stand up Band – Lexie James is coming to the Middle School on November 30
Elementary Facilities Ad Hoc Committee – tabled until the next meeting
High School Mission Statement
A motion was made by Janice Barter, seconded by Beth Chaplin, to approve the High School Mission Statement as a second reading. Vote: 10-Yes, 0-No. Motion carried.
Maine Family and Medical Leave Policy
A motion was made by Janice Barter, seconded by Karla Swanson-Murphy, to approve the Maine Family and Medical Leave policy, File Code GBO, as a second reading.
Superintendent Beecher explained that the wording was changed to a revolving year the same as in the Family and Medical Leave policy.
Vote: Motion carried unanimously.
Maine Family and Medical Leave Procedures, Family and Medical Leave policy, and Family and Medical Leave Procedures
A motion was made by Richard Merritt, seconded by Philip Shane, to approve the following policies, as second readings, as a block:
- Maine Family and Medical Leave Procedures – FC-GBO-R
- Family and Medical Leave policy – FC-GCBD
- Family and Medical Leave Procedures – FC-GCBD-R
Motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Janice Barter, seconded by Karla Swanson-Murphy, to approve the above block. Motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Janice Barter, seconded by Karla Swanson-Murphy, to approve the Teaching Principal job description, 3.06.2, as a second reading. Motion carried unanimously.
School Lunch Monitor
A motion was made by Janice Barter, seconded by Karla Swanson-Murphy, to approve the School Lunch Monitor job description, 3.29.12, as a second reading. Motion carried unanimously.
Care of School Property by Students
A motion was made by Janice Barter, seconded by Karla Swanson-Murphy, to approve the Care of School Property by Students policy, FC-JICB, as a first reading.
There was a discussion on how it would be determined that the student damaged school property. Superintendent Beecher explained that there would be pictures or witnesses to prove the damage.
Vote: 10-Yes, 1-No. Motion carried.
Community Use of Buses
A motion was made by Janice Barter, seconded by Karla Swanson-Murphy, to approve the revision to the Community Use of Buses Application.
Phil Shane explained that the cost per mile was increased from $.70 to $1.00.
Motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Janice Barter, seconded by Karla Swanson-Murphy, to approve Alison Veilleux as a Middle School Math Teacher at Lake Region Middle School, effective November 19, 29012, replacing Elaine Dresser who is retiring. Motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Janice Barter, seconded by Karla Swanson-Murphy, to approve the additional duty positions. Vote: 10-Yes, 0-No. Motion carried.
Cindy LeBlance reported that the Committee had not met.
No meeting since the last Board meeting.
Janice Barter reported that the Committee met on November 8. The following was discussed:
- RH and Smith and Company did an audit presentation. They reported that everything is fine.
- The auditor recommended the Board adopt an Investment policy and Fund Balance policy. The policies will be discussed at the next Finance Committee meeting.
Janice Barter reported that the Curriculum Committee met on November 14. The following was discussed:
- June Conley and Kirsten Goff presented information on the elementary curriculum. Curriculum is being aligned with the Common Core Standards. They are also working to be sure there is continuity from school to school.
- There is a K-1 Grouping at Songo Locks School. This class is serving Kindergarten students who are ready for grade 1 and grade 1 students who were not quite ready for Grade 1.
- Lil Theriault and Eileen Mains reported on the change to K-2 Educational Technicians. This is going well. It allows educational technicians to have intervention blocks to concentrate on student needs along with Special Education staff and teachers. There is more of a Kindergarten focus at Sebago Elementary School as those students are the neediest.
- The Middle School Mission Statement was reviewed and revised.
The next meeting will be on December 12 at 3:30 p.m. at the Central Office.
Karla Swanson-Murphy reported that the Committee prior to this meeting and discussed the following:
- The Middle School Assistant Principal, Elementary Assistant Principal and the Lake Region High School Assistant Principal job descriptions were tabled until the December 17 meeting.
- The Response to Intervention job description was reviewed and some changes were made to the job description.
- School Board Use of Electronic Mail was reviewed and changes were made. The Board’s ByLaws were reviewed and minor changes made. The policies and job description will be included on the December 17 agenda.
The next meeting will be on December 17 at 6:00 p.m.
- Superintendent Beecher mentioned that she had emailed the Board members to let them know the Board Workshop on December 3 would begin at 6:00 p.m. Freedom of Access training and Board Goals would be discussed until 7:00 p.m. The Town Officials, State Representatives and Senators representing the four towns have been invited to come to the meeting at 7:00 p.m.
- The Veteran’s Day Celebration at Lake Region High School was really moving. She thought it was a great example of Lake Region High School and Lake Region Vocational Center working together. The Vocational Center served lunch to the Veterans and First Lady, Ann Lapage. Many Veterans and military people were in attendance, there were performances from Chorus, Band, and Dance. Staff that were Veterans were also recognized. She received lots of compliments from the community.
- A Curricula Showcase was held on November 9. Our staff ran sessions for the staff. There were 10 or 12 sessions going on at a time. Some of the sessions included the following: Transition and Differential Skills for Down Time, Agriculture in the Classroom, How to Write Like a Reader and Read Like a Writer, grapes which were grown at Sebago Elementary School had been mashed and were frozen – teachers made grape jelly which was going to be served in the lunch lines. Teachers taught workshops on what they are teaching. It was a really good day.
Jan Keiper will be replacing Shantelle Roberts.
PUBLIC COMMENTS ON NON-AGENDA ITEMS
A motion was made by Janice Barter, seconded by Karla Swanson-Murphy, to go into Executive Session to discuss a student matter, pursuant to M.R.S.A. 405 6.(B).
The Board went into Executive Session at 8:00 p.m. Mr. Stickney, the student and the student’s parent was invited to attend.
The Board returned to Public Session at 8:18 p.m.
A motion was made by Janice Barter, seconded by Karla Swanson-Murphy, to allow the student to re-enter Lake Region High School on November 20, 2012. Vote: 8-Yes, 0-No. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Janice Barter, seconded by Karla Swanson-Murphy, to adjourn. Motion carried unanimously.
The meeting adjourned at 8:20 p.m.