Lake Region School District
December 2, 2013
There was a Regular Meeting of the Lake Region School on Monday, December 2, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. in the Great Room at Lake Region Vocational Center.
Good Kid Awards
Superintendent Beecher explained that the Liaison Committee presents the Good Kid Awards three times a year. Teachers or staff nominate students who meet certain criteria. Parents and others were thanked as the qualities start in the home and the result is teachable students who the teachers and other staff can expand on. Parents, grandparents, and others were commended.
The following students were recognized as Good Kids and presented with a Certificate and Good Kid tee-shirt.
Sebago Elementary School – Mikayla Allen, Shelby-Lynne Sheldrick,
John Tarantino, Grifyn Moreshead, Riley Smith,
and Ronan Davis
Songo Locks School – Zoey Kimball, Korbin Mastrioni, Liam Bergeron,
Wesley Martin, Riley Jordan, and Kaya Czerw
Stevens Brook Elem – Nicholas Centofanti, Nicholas Towns,
Haylee Horne, Jasmin Mei, Connor Neal, and
Lake Region Middle School – Angel Bragdon, Zachary Flynn, and
Emily St. John.
Lake Region High School – Melody Millett, Rhiannon Maxheimer,
Adam Butler, Erin Holston, Dylan Richardson,
and Camille Evans.
CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL
Janice Barter called the meeting to order at 7:15 p.m. Board members present were: Debra Albert, Stan Buchanan, Beth Chaplin, Karen Eller, Jody Gray,
Paula Grace, Richard Merritt, Erica Pond Green, Philip Shane, and
Amina Meziani, Student Representative. Joseph McMahon and Cindy LeBlanc were excused.
Administrators present were: Tonya Arnold, Lisa Caron, Kirsten Goff, Ted Finn, Deborah Howard, Andrew Madura, Rosie Schacht, Sherrie Small, Guy Stickney, Joshua Sturk, Paul True, Cheryl Turpin, and Kathleen Beecher, Superintendent of Schools.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
A motion was made by Richard Merritt, seconded by Beth Chaplin, to approve the agenda with the addition on the Agenda Addendum. Motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Richard Merritt, seconded by Beth Chaplin, to approve the Minutes of the Regular Meeting of November 18, 2013. Vote: 9-Yes, 0-No,
1 – Abstention. Motion carried.
The “Update of State Funding, Report on Finances” presentation will be done at the next meeting on December 16, 2013.
PUBLIC COMMENTS ON AGENDA ITEMS
Rosie Schacht – LRVC
- Skills USA students hosted the Officers Leadership Workshop. Region 8 Tech Center also came here to participate.
- Diversified Occupations and Construction students attended a Craft Championship in Augusta. They had a great time.
- All students visited the Southern Maine Community College. Students visited the program areas they are enrolled in.
- SkillsUSA will be holding “Pack the Pickup” on December 13 in Naples, Bridgton, and Fryeburg.
- SkillsUSA will be holding a dinner on Friday, December 13 from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. before the home basketball game.
- Applications are available for the EMT Class which will begin on January 21 during the p.m. session.
Lake Region Middle School, Tonya Arnold
- Term 1 report cards will be available to print on Friday.
- Kineo students and staff raised $250 in their penny drive for the Red Cross Relief Fund.
- Interviews were held with some great candidates for the music position at Lake Region Middle School.
- On Thursday, December 12, 2013, the Middle School will have its Holiday Concert at 7:00 p.m. Board members were invited to attend.
Lake Region High School, Ted Finn
- The second ranking period ends on November 22. Grades will be posted by
- 8:30 a.m. on November 26.
- The Fall High School Drama, “Greater Tuna”, went very well.
- The Alternative Program hosted Thanksgiving Dinner with the help of Brian Clark and Lynne Harrison.
- The Student Council collected over 500 pounds of food.
- The Liaison Committee and Student Council will be hosting the Tree Lighting on Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 5:30 p.m. followed by the Band and Chorus Concert.
Adult and Community Education, Carrie Castonguay
- The Spring semester flyer is going to print next week.
- Child Development and Yoga will be new offerings for the next session.
- This is the last week for GED Testing.
- Mr. Madura and his crew were thanked for the new lights at Crooked River. The entry way and parking area are well lit.
A motion was made by Richard Merritt, seconded by Beth Chaplin, to approve the Clerk job description, 2.28, as a second reading. Motion carried unanimously.
Use of Physical Restraint and Seclusion
A motion was made by Richard Merritt, seconded by Beth Chaplin, to approve the Use of Physical Restraint and Seclusion, File Code JKAA and Use of Physical Restraint and Seclusion Procedures, File Code JKAA-R, as second readings. Motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Richard Merritt, seconded by Beth Chaplin, to approve the Concussion Management policy, File Code JHCB as a second reading. Motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Richard Merritt, seconded by Beth Chaplin, to approve the Concussion Management Administrative Procedures, File Code JHCB-R, as a second reading. Motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Richard Merritt, seconded by Beth Chaplin, to approve the following donations as a block:
- Sawyer LaBarge donated $20 to the Drama Club at Stevens Brook Elementary School.
- Shaws in Windham donated a $25 Gift Card to Lake Region Middle School.
Walmart in Windham donated $50.00 to Lake Region Middle School.
- Hannaford in Bridgton and Windham stores have donated Bottled Water with a value of $2,500 to Songo Locks School.
- Berlin City Auto Group approved a grant for $3,500 for the greenhouse fund at Stevens Brook Elementary School.
- J.C. Penney donated $100 to Kim Nielsen’s classroom at Songo Locks School to be used for supplies.
Motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Richard Merritt, seconded by Beth Chaplin, to approve the block. Motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Richard Merritt, seconded by Beth Chaplin, to approve the Additional Duty positions. Motion carried unanimously.
There was an update on the Pellet Boiler Options as follows:
- A synopsis of the issues were shared with the Finance and Facilities Committees.
- The pellet boiler at the high school never worked well since it was installed.
- Thayer Corporation came and removed the pellet boiler.
- The District was been looking at other options.
- In April, the District began looking at a proposal by McCormick Engineering Group for a pellet boiler. There would be no upfront payment. In reviewing the figures, it looked like it would cost the District a lot of money and would not be a savings.
The Facilities Committees met with the Finance Committee and it was decided to look at future needs and see what is available for other options.
Sherrie Small mentioned that the Committee met on November 14. The following items were discussed:
- Audit – Highlights
- Wood pellet boiler discussion
- Waive the bid traffic study to allow Deluca Hoffman to be the engineer as they are familiar with the school and property layout. The study was approved for up to $7,000.
- The Maine State Retirement amount which was passed on to the District by the Department of Education.
- Charter School formula.
The next meeting will be on December 19 at 6:00 p.m.
The Committee met prior to the meeting. The following topics were discussed:
- Pellet boiler
- Request from Momentum group regarding using Crooked River Elementary School as an Emergency Response site if they needed to evacuate their building.
- Energy Conservation and Management policies were reviewed and approved as written. They will go to the Board for a first reading.
- 2014-15 – Mr. Madura shared Maintenance/Budget information.
Erica Pond Green mentioned that the next meeting is scheduled for December 11 at 3:30 p.m. at the Central Office.
Jody Gray reported that the Personnel Committee will meet prior to the next Board meeting.
Beth Chaplin reported that the Tree Lighting will be held at the High School on December 11 at 5:30 p.m.
- The student attending the Fiddlehead Charter School has returned to the District. The school will be paid a per diem rate for the days the child attended the school.
- The Superintendent was invited to a lot of turkey dinners.
Mary Beach resigned as a K-2 Guidance Counselor at Songo Locks School, the ending date will be determined once a candidate is found.
Deb Robson resigned for one day a week. She will continue to work 4 days a week.
PUBLIC COMMENTS ON NON-AGENDA ITEMS
A motion was made by Richard Merritt, seconded by Beth Chaplin, to go into Executive Session to discuss a student matter, pursuant to M.R.S.A. 405 6. B. Motion carried unanimously.
The Board went into Executive Session at 7:45 p.m. Guy Stickeny, Lisa Caron, Ryan Shible, the student, the student’s mother, grandmother, and therapist were invited to attend.
The Board returned to Public Session at 8:38 p.m.
A motion was made by Janice Barter, seconded by Richard Merrtt, to allow the student to return to school on December 3, 2013. Motion carried unanimously.
A motion was made by Richard Merritt, seconded by Beth Chaplin, to go into Executive Session to discuss a student matter, pursuant to M.R.S.A. 405 6.B. Motion carried unanimously.
Executive Session (continued)
The Board went into Executive Session at 8:43 p.m. J.P. Yorkey, Tonya Arnold, Harvey Toews, Lisa Caron, and Brett Hudson were invited to attend.
The Board returned to Public Session at 9:06 p.m.
A motion was made by Richard Merritt, seconded by Erica Pond Green, to suspend the student for 10 days. Vote: 7-Yes, 2-No. Motion carried.
A motion was made by Richard Merritt, seconded by Beth Chaplin, to adjourn.
Motion carried unanimously.
The meeting adjourned at 9:07 p.m.