Sebago Elementary School Advisory Committee
Minutes from Meeting of November 17, 2011
Meeting opened at 7:05 pm at the Sebago Town Offices. The meeting for October 26 was postponed until tonight to allow completion of the draft report by Planning Decisions.
In attendance were Advisory Committee members Jean Clancy, Wendy Newcomb, Claudia Lowe, Sherry Miller, and Richard Merritt. Absent were committee members Jim Smith, Dana Batchelder, Paul White, and Moria Casey. Guest present was Allen Crabtree. Frank O’Hara was there representing Planning Decisions.
Frank discussed his draft report dated November 9, 2011 entitled “The Future of Sebago Elementary School.” There was a brisk discussion and several questions were asked, including:
· If SAD61 closes SES would they take back the modular unit? If so, the cost to do so should be included in the cost-benefit calculations.
· A new school at the Naples/Sebago line is unlikely with declining district-wide enrollment.
· Does Appendix B of the report apply only to SES? (Yes)
· Is there a minimum number of students at SES required to keep the school open?
· There were discussions on charter schools, demographics and population projections, deed restrictions at the SES site, redistricting.
· Stevens Brook has 128 empty seats currently. It is also a failing school. Under No Child Left Behind if a school is labeled as failing for 3 years in a row parents can move their child to any other school in the district and the district must provide transportation.
Next meeting of the advisory committee will be scheduled after the beginning of the new year, and Planning Decisions will issue a revised draft report prior to the meeting. Meeting will be announced.
Meeting adjourned at 8:07 p.m.